The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

photos: Color Skopar 21mm f/4 used with M-P

Godfrey

Continuing my lens testing/exploration with the M-P and my existing lenses...

all: Leica M-P + Color Skopar 21mm f/4

All in all, a pretty good performance with the Color Skopar 21mm. It's a little easier to clean up the color shifting than the Color Skopar 28mm, and a bit more inspiring in terms of image rendering than the Ultron 28/2.

I knew my Color Skopars were going to be a challenge...
I suspect that Super Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH is getting closer.

enjoy,
G

bab

Almost want to say images have that painterly look to them, I like the look even for a image with faded colors!

Godfrey

Godfrey, are you manually coding the lens as a Leica lens to help get rid of the colour bleeding? If you recall from my CV 35/2.5 tests, it took me a while to pinpoint the best option.
I'm currently coding the CS21/4 as 11135, which worked pretty well with the M9. The M240 is different, however, so at some point I'll be mucking about with it more.

What I've found is that using the Lens Profiles in Lightroom can dramatically improve the shading situation. I've got the following preset defined now to give me a better starting point/baseline with this lens:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25268645/M-P_Color-Skopar-21_base.lrtemplate

s = {
id = "DC0691C7-61B4-4B29-993D-501BF07DCFB6",
internalName = "M-P_Color-Skopar-21_base",
title = "M-P_Color-Skopar-21_base",
type = "Develop",
value = {
settings = {
BlueHue = 0,
BlueSaturation = 0,
CameraProfile = "Adobe Standard",
EnableCalibration = true,
EnableLensCorrections = true,
GreenHue = 0,
GreenSaturation = 0,
LensProfileChromaticAberrationScale = 100,
LensProfileDigest = "CBE452079D3C91DC18E294D9C76FB424",
LensProfileDistortionScale = 100,
LensProfileEnable = 1,
LensProfileFilename = "Leica Camera AG (Voigtlander VM 21mm F4 Color Skopar) - RAW.lcp",
LensProfileName = "Adobe (Voigtlander VM 21mm F4 Color Skopar)",
LensProfileSetup = "Custom",
LensProfileVignettingScale = 122,
ProcessVersion = "6.7",
RedHue = 0,
RedSaturation = -8,
ShadowTint = 0,
},
uuid = "BFBCA3DF-D320-42DC-B5D2-04732A2C706F",
},
version = 0,
}

That setup radically reduces the color shifting. If you combine it with proper white balance setting and proper exposure, the problem just about disappears.

That said, I'm very tempted to let go of both Color Skopar 21 and 28, and Ultron 28/2, to help fund a Leica Super Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH...

G

seakayaker

Hmm. That's tempting! But then, do I want the Super-Elmar 21 or the Elmar 24? Decisions decisions ... I must think on this.

G
I have the Elmar 24 and it is a fantastic lens and I am sure you would have no regrets.

Seeing the reviews and hearing from a couple of folks who have (or had) the Super Elmar 21, I do not believe you could go wrong with that choice either.

You can usually find both lenses new and used. The 24 is less expensive but if you need the 21 view . . . . . Having choices and availability is wonderful!

Good luck with your decision.

Godfrey

I have the Elmar 24 and it is a fantastic lens and I am sure you would have no regrets.

Seeing the reviews and hearing from a couple of folks who have (or had) the Super Elmar 21, I do not believe you could go wrong with that choice either.

You can usually find both lenses new and used. The 24 is less expensive but if you need the 21 view . . . . . Having choices and availability is wonderful!

Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for the Elvish Decision, Dan! ;-)

It's a tough choice. I've decided to go with the 24mm with the notion that it's more useful to me, more frequently, than the 21. That's pretty much the same decision I made when I bought the Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH in the 1990s and I did not regret it at all.

When the 24 arrives, I think all my current 21 and 28 lenses will go on the block. I'll make that decision when the time comes. (I'll keep you in mind, Kevin. :)

G

Godfrey

The other reason I picked the 24mm is that I wanted small and light. If I want even wider, I have this to work with:

Leica M-P typ 240 fitted with Leica Elmarit-R 19mm v1 lens via Kipon LER->LEM mount adapter. Olympus VF-2 and cable release fitted, along with 52" Street Strap.

I did just a little basic testing with it today. It needs some lens profiling to work correctly ... without the R-Adapter M yet, I don't have access to the Leica lens codes to see how well they work.

But I was surprised at just how handy this rig is. It's not fast, but it is a fine tripod camera.

Oh yes: a test shot wide open.

G

Last edited:

Godfrey

A follow-up on this thread...

The Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH arrived. I took it for a walk yesterday, just testing. This is it, for me. :) Just what I was looking for.

Color Skopar 21mm f/4 and Ultron 28mm f/2 are now up for sale...

G

Duane Pandorf

A follow-up on this thread...

The Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH arrived. I took it for a walk yesterday, just testing. This is it, for me. :) Just what I was looking for.

Color Skopar 21mm f/4 and Ultron 28mm f/2 are now up for sale...

G
I've shot some waterfalls with the 24 Elmar and done some interior shots with the 21 SEM. They are both in a league of their own, IMO.