The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M240 with 50 APO vs Sony A7II with Loxia 50

aDam007

At first I wrote a big long rant about the 50APO.. But half way though I realised something. Not everybody sees the world the way I do. So I'll let your basic comparison slide.

I've done all the same comparisons BTW.. A lot of lenses are similar, this isn't news. The 55/1.8 comes shockingly close also.. But there is something about the 50APO that sets it apart. It's something I cannot replicate no matter how basic or advanced my comparison tests get. And if that "something", agrees with your aesthetic.. You'll never wanna sell the lens. Believe me, I would love to put that $8k towards something else (considering I already have so many good 50mm lenses). But I just can't bring myself to sell the lens. I have lenses that cost more, so it's not even a price thing (it's expensive therefore it should be good, doesn't apply to me).

I've owned and or used every system that's currently available. I haven't seen any combo I like better then the M240+50APO.

Last edited:

yudafu2

Completely agree with aDam007. That is exactly what I feel about the APO. Once I began using it, it became basically the only lens on my M240. I don't feel like using any other 50mm lenses any longer. It is hard to describe what was special about that, but it is seriously addictive. I have used almost every 50mm lenses in the Nikon and Leica systems, nothing comes close to that feeling.

Paratom

To my eye the images from the 50APO specially on the M have a special "zing".
The images from the A7II and the 55/1.8 are very good as well and so are those from the 35 Loxia.
I also slightly prefer the color and saturation I get from the M with the APO.

Overall I love the M-system because there are so many great primes. The 21/3.4, the 35/1.4FLE (much much smaller than that monster 35/1.4 Zeiss lens), the 75/2.0. So for me the APO is just one (very good part) of the M.
I also still prefer rangefinder focusing over manual focus with magnification or focus peaking.
So yes, the M stays my favorite manual focus camera. The 50APO is - for me- only the (expensive) sugar on the cake.
The main reason why I own the A7ii is for using the 2470, 70200 and for Tele and AF photography.

If people compare prices one should also mention that if you ran that comparison with a 50 Summicron (non-APO) or even with a Summarit the price difference would be much lower and the IQ quality would still be close.

V

Vivek

The price of the AA 50 has to drop by at least 50%. The current prices are so boutique.

aDam007

Paratom - I also like the 21/3.5, 35FLE and 75APO... Then again who am I kidding, I like all (my) Leica lenses :D