The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help with Leica R lens repair

wbhstl

Several years ago I bought a Sony A55 with the intent of Leitaxing Leica R lenses so that I could benefit from the A55’s IBIS. It was not a very successful endeavor. Sony now offers the A7II with what appears to be much improved IBIS. I had Leitaxed a 80 Lux and a 180 APO_Telyt. I started to convert them back from a Sony Alpha mount to a Leica R mount and I found I had not stored them very well. I had lost three of the tiny screws for the 180 and a couple of small fragile tabs on internal shrouds for the 80 were broken off. Please do not comment on how stupid this was - my wife has already done that for you. Also the 80’s rubber focusing ring needs tighten/replaced and both lenses could use a cleaning. So, I would like to ask if anyone could recommend a good Leica lens repair shop in the US.

I know I could buy a Sony Alpha to E mount adaptor and use my lenses this way. I am reluctant to do this as I think the electronic connection between the Leitax adaptor and the A55 (required for IBIS on the A55) caused problems using the A55. I could remove the chips and if all else fails this is the route I will go - but I would still rather have the lenses brought back up to shape and in R mount.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Bill

V

Vivek

Remove the chips on the Leitax. You have no need for them anyway. Alternately, there are "dumb" Sony E to Alpha A adapters available (cheap too).