The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone up for a CMOS MM?

mdg137

I would have bought the current MM, but I just didn't like the M9 body. I already set aside the funds for an M240 based MM. I'm in, no question.

aDam007

It's funny how perceptions differ.

When I compare my M9 raw files to the M-P raw files, I MUCH prefer the M-P files. And the M-P feels slimmer and lighter in my hands, even though it's nominally 2oz heavier than the M9 and has a 1mm deeper baseplate from front to rear.

G
Yeah, I'm in the same boat as Godfrey. I feel the M240 is more comfortable in the hand. And I get on a lot better with the M240 files then the M9 files.

animefx

I'm certainly interested in the new MM but I would also love the have the CCD based original. Certainly the ISO and dynamic range will be a stop or two better than the CCD MM, but who knows if it will have the same kind of sharpness, and pop.

250swb

.... it puts the current MM and current A7r in a dead heat.
Amazing isn't it, 18mp aimed at one target against 36mp scattered over three targets. Which is the benchmark Leica have created in anticipation of the new MM. For the same leap over the standard M240 we'd be looking with a B&W only sensor at about 50mp equivalent resolution if all things are equal, plus increased DR, and an increase is usable ISO to 20,000+. I just wonder if Leica have had their quantum leap, if I need/want it, although I'm on the list as well.

Steve

algrove

Vivek
I have waited for this new MM long enough!!! If they do not ship by mid-May I will toss it in!

asiafish

i would definitely consider a $3000 USD MM, it can share all the accessories with my M9 :)
At $3000 I'd buy a spare M Monochrom as well. The original MM remains my favorite camera. I like it so much that I just bought an M-E as a color companion instead of an M240.

Ii suppose I've missed what everyone else might know already:

When are they likely to be available?

I'm on my dealer's list but would like to read and see more about CMOS tonal renderings and the 12/14 bit issue.

Kirk

scott kirkpatrick

I'm on my dealer's list but would like to read and see more about CMOS tonal renderings and the 12/14 bit issue.

Kirk
As I understand it, this sort of chip (when made by Sony) delivers 14 bits of output per pixel, but the supplier that Leica works with uses a 12 bit ADC. The top 2 bits were never available, and the bottom two bits are just noise anyway. I've looked at several reviews that show much cleaner shadow detail in the M246 without any sacrifice of highlight room, so I think Leica did the right thing. 12 bits means that they can get four pixels' output into 6Bytes. And the files are constant size, apparently, so this shouldn't have been a surprise.

scott

jlm

Workshop Member
i think it would be in all of our best interest if the re-sale of the original MM stayed higher than 3k, more like 60% of new ($4,500) would make me happier. the trend of massive re-sale reduction when a new model comes out is disturbing when the items are almost $8k and would have to impact new sales negatively.

V

Vivek

The price fixing part from the manufacturers is the major factor. This is huge with Sony. Used market is free market that the camera companies have little control over.

asiafish

I can't see many except for early adopters accepting $3000 for their used Monochroms. $4500 or so is where I guess the dust will settle, with condition and extras pushing that up or down and maybe a bit of a premium on the silver chrome bodies.

fotografz

Speculative wishful thinking IMO.

I can also wish for a low milage S2P in mint condition for $3K so I can buy a back-up.:rolleyes:

I'd never sell my mint MM for $3,000 then turn around and drop $7K+ on this new one no matter how nice it may be.:loco:

My current monochrome has been a fine photographic tool:thumbs:, and this new camera doesn't change that.

Besides, other priorities are on the horizon.

- Marc

asiafish

Speculative wishful thinking IMO.

I can also wish for a low milage S2P in mint condition for $3K so I can buy a back-up.:rolleyes:

I'd never sell my mint MM for $3,000 then turn around and drop $7K+ on this new one no matter how nice it may be.:loco:

My current monochrome has been a fine photographic tool:thumbs:, and this new camera doesn't change that.

Besides, other priorities are on the horizon.

- Marc
I'm still exploring my current MM and after two years of fairly intensive use am convinced that it will continue to challenge and delight me for at least four or five years more, probably far more than that so long as it works.

algrove

Vivek
It seems from what others report that many M9M users are taking up Leica on their trade up program. Now with a little patience after Leica has refurbished these "older" M9M, they will begin to flood the market with M9M to as many dealers as they can get to take them.
I saw a used silver M9M on Popflash eBay website for $4500.

V

Vivek

Hi Lou, AFAIC, it is MM. Not MM9, M9M, etc. The MM2 gets some number, officiially. :cry:

We shall see how things go. :) As I see it, Leica are positioned precariously, regardless what the boutique prices may suggest, as of now.

seakayaker

A number of folks have spoke/written so strongly about their experiences with the MM that I did pick one up at the wonderful reduced price they are currently offering. Not concerned if the sensor develops an issue in the upcoming years since I have full faith that Leica will stand by the product as they have with the M9.

algrove

A number of folks have spoke/written so strongly about their experiences with the MM that I did pick one up at the wonderful reduced price they are currently offering. Not concerned if the sensor develops an issue in the upcoming years since I have full faith that Leica will stand by the product as they have with the M9.
Congrats. Nice camera/superb images. Just be careful taking it kayaking-you know humidity.

asiafish

You will LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Best camera I've ever used.