The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New Monochrom is here

jonoslack

Jono
Great stuff as usual. Does this one have a DNG histogram like the old one?
hI Lou
Thank you - please could you save me checking them both out - do you mean on half pressing the shutter in live view? If so, then yes. Otherwise please explain more.

"Hmm. Maybe I should just order one and not worry too much about it. But there's the M Edition 60 that I've been jonesing for…" - Godfrey

Just go ahead and pre-order it, Godfrey, and put black electrical tape over the LCD. After all, we've been doing that on the front of the camera for years.

Kirk

jonoslack

Though just out of curiosity, highlight recovery is still an issue, correct? So how's the shadow recovery?
Well, it's only an issue if you over-expose, the cut off seems to me to be less dramatic than it was with the MM - but that could be me

Highlight recovery will still be an issue as there are no other color channels to extrapolate data from, if the highlights are clipped there is no recovering.

Shadow data on the other hand I would like to know how much can be lifted vs. the original M Monochrom. It should be as good or better since the ISO is much cleaner at higher ISO, but this is just a guess.
Well, the sensor probably has almost two more stops of dynamic range than the MM (just as the M240 does over the M9. That translates to a huge ability to pull detail from the shadows - the results are also much less prone to banding than those of the MM

grEGORy Simpson has done some great tests (and written a charming article) here:
Sensor and Sensibility

algrove

hI Lou
Thank you - please could you save me checking them both out - do you mean on half pressing the shutter in live view? If so, then yes. Otherwise please explain more.
Sorry, I meant to ask does the M246 have a DNG histogram like the old MM has? I found it quite useful.

jonoslack

Jono
Great stuff as usual. Does this one have a DNG histogram like the old one?
HI Lou
Yes - it does

Probably a silly question but it needs to be asked. How many you plan to get and...:)

Edit: it was a silly question and the answer is here.

Louis Foubare: Fluidity and Unpredictability in Street Photography « The Leica Camera

Keep up the good work, Lou!
Thank you Vivek - I need to connect the dots better - Lou - I didn't realise that you were also the real Lou!
Congratulations - great article.

Godfrey

GDG: "Hmm. Maybe I should just order one and not worry too much about it. But there's the M Edition 60 that I've been jonesing for…"

Just go ahead and pre-order it, Godfrey, and put black electrical tape over the LCD. After all, we've been doing that on the front of the camera for years.
LOL!

Well, I just might. I'm selling the A7, I've decided to sell off all my R gear except two lenses (and maybe one Leicaflex SL body), I might sell the Hasselblad 500CM and the E-PL7, and a few of the "spare" M-mount lenses. That could well come up to cover the new Monochrom right there. And help empty the equipment cabinet a good bit at the same time, my major goal for this year.

G

aDam007

So the one thing that prevents you from buying what appears to be a great camera is that it offers you ISO 320, 400, 512, 640, etc, rather than 320, 640, 1280, etc? And that it offers you automatic ISO control?

That seems pretty crazy to me. Of all the features that might get in my way, being able to select ISOs on a scale with grain of less than 1 EV isn't one of them, and if I don't want to use AutoISO, I just don't use it. Why does it bother you so much? Do you never set an aperture between the marked 1-stop increments?

Just trying to figure out what I'm missing in your comment...

G
HAHAHAHA.... Why are you trying to make me spend money!! I'm trying to convince myself not to buy the camera. That's a very valid excuse, and is almost working :D
I have three M240 cameras, I don't need a M246!

In all fairness it does make things easier if all your cameras "by feel" work the same. But no, it was more of a FAKE-OUT statement to try and get my to think negatively of the camera.. As I've stated before, I want something that'll force me to see in black and white, and I've been in talks with the wife over this. It's not something I'd use for work, and it's tempting me, but I've never been a fan of converting my images to black and white, so I'm wary of spending the money on a black and white camera.. Though I love to look at black and white images!

So please, help me not spend money. Someone post some shitty photos already!

aDam007

Well, it's only an issue if you over-expose, the cut off seems to me to be less dramatic than it was with the MM - but that could be me

Well, the sensor probably has almost two more stops of dynamic range than the MM (just as the M240 does over the M9. That translates to a huge ability to pull detail from the shadows - the results are also much less prone to banding than those of the MM

grEGORy Simpson has done some great tests (and written a charming article) here:
Sensor and Sensibility
This is good to know. Jeeze you guys aren't making this easy on me.
Still I hold firm, I need 200 iso :D

ashwinrao1

Great write up, Jono. I am sorely tempted. I do so love my MM"9", but the ISO performance and tonality at high ISO is very good....kudos to Leica...now, where is that $7450 that's been lying around...hmmm...

Godfrey

I have three M240 cameras, I don't need a M246!

... As I've stated before, I want something that'll force me to see in black and white...

So please, help me not spend money. Someone post some shitty photos already!
HAH! A fake out, eh? Unfortunately, my brain never lets me do such fake outs. I always know that I'm lying to myself and my gut knows what I want regardless. Sigh.

But if you're just looking for a way to see in B&W and not spend money: take one of your M240s, set it up for B&W film mode with the Orange filter, and turn off raw capture. Fit the EVF and go back and forth between the optical and electronic viewfinders. Up to ISO 800-1600, you won't see much difference between it and the MM246 with an orange filter fitted ...

IMO, all B&W film and MM in daylight should be done with a deep yellow or orange filter fitted anyway in order to get a reasonable translation of color to grayscale tonal equivalents. Otherwise it all looks dull and bland. Only in lower light and artificial light (which is much more yellow ...) does the native desaturated B&W from a monochrome capture look right to my eye.

G

aDam007

HAH! A fake out, eh? Unfortunately, my brain never lets me do such fake outs. I always know that I'm lying to myself and my gut knows what I want regardless. Sigh.

But if you're just looking for a way to see in B&W and not spend money: take one of your M240s, set it up for B&W film mode with the Orange filter, and turn off raw capture. Fit the EVF and go back and forth between the optical and electronic viewfinders. Up to ISO 800-1600, you won't see much difference between it and the MM246 with an orange filter fitted ...

IMO, all B&W film and MM in daylight should be done with a deep yellow or orange filter fitted anyway in order to get a reasonable translation of color to grayscale tonal equivalents. Otherwise it all looks dull and bland. Only in lower light and artificial light (which is much more yellow ...) does the native desaturated B&W from a monochrome capture look right to my eye.

G

That's a good tip. I've never thought about using an orange filter before, seeing how I could just process from RAW. But yea the JPG idea sounds fun and more permanent, so it'll give me a real sense of loss, if I don't fancy BW work. Might give it a whirl on my next trip to convince myself BW isn't for me.

MCTuomey

Thanks Jono - pleasure to read our review and thanks as well for the additional links.

This may be my consolidation camera, but it'll take major sell-offs to afford the entry fee. Pare down to 2-4 favorite lenses and just this body as my M platform. Can shoot anywhere, any light, easy carry, extraordinary pleasure in use. That's it.