The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Q anyone?

algrove

OK, I remember seeing that and thought it just another Panasonic rebadge as a Leica.

June is just around the corner so let's see if it's true-the way it is currently depicted. I see then that La Vida Leica (VLV) has a hustler here that feeds us LVL posts in order to keep his traffic up as was mentioned above somewhere.

Gents, let's try and keep this thread still about this, right now, imaginary Leica Q. I originally started this thread so people could discuss about the Q and what they think about what's been pushed out to internet hype so far.. even if someone would have little more info and/or educated quesses about it.

People clearly have very strong opinions about another website. Personally people can think what they like about it, but let's keep it outside this thread.

//Juha

Yeah, it's all quite vague & pure speculation atm. And for your part, I fully understand that even if you would know - you couldn't tell. Telling would stop the testing and deprive us from the future reports..

Anyway, I found the speculated Q interesting and it's fun to speculate on these things. In the end we usually see who had the best guess :)

//Juha

jonoslack

Yeah, it's all quite vague & pure speculation atm. And for your part, I fully understand that even if you would know - you couldn't tell. Telling would stop the testing and deprive us from the future reports..
Of course not . . . but I can have a little gentle fun stimulating the anticipation! Perhaps anticipation is the best bit? How much less exciting it would be if they had a Loch Ness Monster in the zoo? Reality is so often an anti-climax . . . . . . but not ALWAYS :)

herrbarnack

I'm with Peter here LaVida Leica seem to me to be interesting in that they make predictions (usually wrong) . . . and then later on say they got it right - it's probably easier to see this when you actually know about what they're talking about.

Whatever the truth about the Q, I don't believe for one second that the Rangefinder is threatened - not for one second.
After further reflection, I would have to agree. To do away with the rangefinder mechanism would be a tragic and possibly catastrophic miscalculation on Leica's part.

Why do people feel the need to make up this kind of hogwash?? :wtf:

aDam007

After further reflection, I would have to agree. To do away with the rangefinder mechanism would be a tragic and possibly catastrophic miscalculation on Leica's part.

Why do people feel the need to make up this kind of hogwash?? :wtf:
A few possible reasons.

1) said individual hasn't owned an RF camera.
2) said individual isn't good at using an RF camera.
3) said individual finds joy in his EVF camera, and wants everyone to jump on board (borg mentality).

A better solution would be for Leica to make a M RF and a C digital-RF.

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Lets assume the rumor about the “demise of the traditional Leica rangefinder “ could be correct . Pretty good logic if and this is the BIG question .....an electronic or digital rangefinder could be developed to replace it .

First it is a very big cost item in the Leica M . Second ..it is source of frequent warranty (maintenance ) requests (based on more personal experience than you want to here about). Third ..its a major factor in the size of the M body and constrains the design of new models .

Personally I don t want it to change .

Godfrey

Gents, let's try and keep this thread still about this, right now, imaginary Leica Q. I originally started this thread so people could discuss about the Q and what they think about what's been pushed out to internet hype so far.. even if someone would have little more info and/or educated quesses about it.
The only information I've seen about the Q suggests that it is something akin to the Sony RX-1: a full-frame, fixed lens camera made by Leica with a Summilux-quality 28mm f/1.7 lens and the same sensor used in the M typ 240 line. Given how much I enjoy the Leica X typ 113, and how many good photos I seem to get from it, I'm sure it will be quite a nice camera. It will be good also if they keep compatibility with the EVF, and maybe battery compatibility with the M.

Would I buy one? I'm not sure. I already have the X ... It's my most common choice of a grab-n-go camera for when I want to carry as little as possible. The proposed Q above would offer quality on par with the M-P along with more automation and closer focusing, but the X typ 113 is there already (a little down on pixel resolution, up on sensitivity). I don't really need another fixed lens camera, although an X with a 50mm f/1.4 FoV lens (not 28mm) would be interesting to me at some level.

It will be interesting to see what the Q turns out to be.

G

Godfrey

Lets assume the rumor about the “demise of the traditional Leica rangefinder “ could be correct . Pretty good logic if and this is the BIG question .....an electronic or digital rangefinder could be developed to replace it .

First it is a very big cost item in the Leica M . Second ..it is source of frequent warranty (maintenance ) requests (based on more personal experience than you want to here about). Third ..its a major factor in the size of the M body and constrains the design of new models .

I find having the traditional coupled-optomechanical RF combined with Live View and EVF in the current M-P to be an almost ideal combination for my main working camera using lenses from ultra wide to short telephoto. And for longer lenses the fully image stabilized mirrorless solution like the Olympus E-M1 *almost* completely edges out the desirability of an optical SLR (but not quite, yet).

So I could see the notion of a fully D-M minus the optical viewfinder system having value as a modern camera line with a more compact body, IBIS, automation as desired, compatibility for M-mount lenses, a range of new longer lenses, etc. Such a camera wouldn't replace the current M, it complements it—just as the E-M1 I'm using now complements the M-P beautifully.

I'm very open to Leica producing interesting and innovative new cameras. I just prefer that they keep going with the M line as well. It's traditional values are worth having ... Now, about that production M Edition 60 with typ 246 sensor, hmmmm? ]'-)

G

algrove

Why does a new camera have to replace the M as we know it?

Drop the RF, add a good EVF only VF, keep the rest of the M, the way it is. Maybe that's not enough of a change to sell it in big enough numbers to keep the bean counters happy.

jonoslack

HI Roger
Why should we assume that the rumour could be correct?
Leica have just re-designed the rangefinder for the M240 (better tolerances, ability to adjust by machine etc.) Sure, the rangefinder needs re-adjusting sometimes, but it won't take up much time in the workshop!

Seriously, in talks with lots of people at Leica I've not heard a single suggestion that this might be the case . . .not one.

all the best

asiafish

Looks to me more like a compact companion model to the M, like the old CL back in the day. No rangefinder, but full-frame and compatible with M lenses, and perhaps T lenses as well.

I wouldn't buy it, but I bet many would. MAt around $4K, it would be the ultimate 2nd body.

algrove

We are all guessing here, but now I am beginning to think it is 24MP. built-in EVF, fixed lens like maybe the 28 that was mentioned. If it has a clip-on EVF, my interest wains since I have an RX-1 and that's what it would be like except with a red dot and much higher price point.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
HI Roger
Why should we assume that the rumour could be correct?
Leica have just re-designed the rangefinder for the M240 (better tolerances, ability to adjust by machine etc.) Sure, the rangefinder needs re-adjusting sometimes, but it won't take up much time in the workshop!

Seriously, in talks with lots of people at Leica I've not heard a single suggestion that this might be the case . . .not one.

all the best
Jono

I am the last person to desire a change to the Leica M rangefinder ...having spent my entire photographic life trying to master it . So I hope your instincts are correct .

Leica has not been immune to the competition from lower cost technologies ..EVIL ! The cost of the RF is substantial and it does require maintenance . As an owner of quite a few M bodies ...I still dislike the lost availability when I send in a body for adjustment . The size of the M body has grown enough to notice and cost is beyond many that admire the camera .

So I am sure Leica has considered the benefits of an digital rangefinder .....

But ....they know messing with the M isn t in their best interests .....so who knows .

Roger

jonoslack

Jono

I am the last person to desire a change to the Leica M rangefinder ...having spent my entire photographic life trying to master it . So I hope your instincts are correct .

Leica has not been immune to the competition from lower cost technologies ..EVIL ! The cost of the RF is substantial and it does require maintenance . As an owner of quite a few M bodies ...I still dislike the lost availability when I send in a body for adjustment . The size of the M body has grown enough to notice and cost is beyond many that admire the camera .

So I am sure Leica has considered the benefits of an digital rangefinder .....

But ....they know messing with the M isn t in their best interests .....so who knows .

Roger
HI Roger
Of course, designing a digital rangefinder is a contradiction in terms :p.

But seriously, even if they were to design an EVF based full frame camera which played well with M lenses, it still wouldn't devalue the optical rangefinder, it's the very centre of their business and their revival. It really doesn't have to be one thing or the other does it?

As for who knows? - well, I think I know! I just think that in all the discussions I've had with them that any implication of the death of the rangefinder would have surfaced (in which case I couldn't talk about it) , but it really hasn't (I'm saying this on the basis that I can talk about something I haven't heard anything about :) )

V

Vivek

Well, a swivel LCD for such a camera would be fantastic! :)

No need for sapphire glass for protection as the LCD can be folded back. Cheaper and immensely useful.

Shashin

I am not sure Leica strategy for camera sales has ever revolved around price. I doubt Leica has ever been interested in the consumer market. Since the luxury goods market is really healthy--who has money except rich people--I think Leica has put itself in a great place. Leica is NOT competing against Nikon, Cannon, Olympus, or another company. There is no reason to compete with the technology of those other companies either.

As far as the rangefinder, that is what Leica makes. That is what put it on the map and keeps it there. They cannot but make M cameras. They can make other types of camera, but they are just a sideline.

What might be interesting to see if the cache of the rangefinder is a generational thing. Will millennials and the generation following them still think of photography in terms of the rangefinder? Who knows. Right now, the image of the rangefinder still has value. But it is built on historical value. Could the historical connection to the rangefinder as a tool to a specific genre of photography fade and Leica fade with it? Not sure, but it would be sad to see the optical rangefinder disappear altogether, even though I would probably never own a Leica.

V

Vivek

The Leica T monoblock body polishing video is not unlike Nero playing fiddle. Luxury market will not sustain Leica's image in photography but photographs and photographers using them to make those photographs will. You are right that the shape of the M still is iconic and is recognizable.