The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Q anyone?

weinschela

Subscriber Member
what really is exciting about that lens is it's compactness, autofocus, and aperture for full frame. I see future M lenses moving to automoatic
Well, Kaufman has been quoted that the M system is not going anywhere, so that means either that Leica will somehow figure out a way to do autofocus lenses on an M body or the M will coexist with an autofocus system. The latter can be done more easily because it need not have an M mount; M lenses could be used manually via an adapter. The T had this of course, but an interchangeable lens Q would be a more elegant solution. It may be that Leica is simply testing the waters here, allowing the marketplace to speak. But since the next M is supposed to come out later this year, I suspect it will be a more traditional manual camera with a better external EVF and maybe some more megapixels (frankly, 24 is fine with me (but I also said that about 10mp some years ago :cool:) and we'll have to wait for any more dramatic changes.

MCTuomey

There won't be a successor to the M, at least no meaningful one. Variations on its theme, maybe an incremental sensor improvement here and a feature enhancement there, but no realistic successor as the M240/246 is to the M9/MM/M8. In the same way that Leica's film M's have reached their endpoint, the digital M product curve is matured and done. The future line for development is the Q. Now fixed-lens to test the waters, soon to have an interchangeable mount, and then a line of Q-mount AF/MF lenses.

Think on it a moment (if you haven't already but I'm sure you have). A camera the size of your film M's with comparable haptics, with comparably small and fast lenses, a truly excellent EVF, AF or MF (on demand, you choose), digital imaging for all purposes equivalent or better than that of Oly/Fuji/Sony bodies. Whew. Get on it Leica, bravo.

Godfrey

You folks all speak with such incredible certainty about Leica's future products!

I'm happy with what I've got in M and X cameras. The Q looks to be outstanding. I'm sure that when they make the next M, it will be too—whatever they do with it. I'll be happiest if it works even better with my M-mount lenses.

G

sjg284

The faux-frameline pixel-throwaway concept is interesting.
One of the things I love about M is seeing outside the frame, and snapping as the pieces "fall into place".

V

Vivek

The Q28 already can be cropped to 35/50. Q16 will do the Wate range.