The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Monochrom 246 DNG files - if you want to play

Thank you Jono. Both of the links are not working. I have to remove 'localhost' at the beginning of the second one to get it to work.

Edit: And WOW, much appreciated with a couple of sample shots with the Lux 28 :D.

Second WOW, at pixel level, the new MM at 12500 is just as good as the A7s. Considering it's a 24MP sensor, my jaw dropped...

Last edited:

Godfrey

Follow up:

Looking at these files, I don't believe I'll be canceling my MM246 order any time soon. :)

G

Thx for these – they're definitely helpful!

For those who choose to play with them, note that some have sharpening set to 25 in LR/ACR, and some are 0. I've turned it off in all instances to play my game, because I've never needed to sharpen M9M files. In the child's portrait, the eyelashes are still nice and sharp with 0 sharpening – but no sharper than necessary.

Kirk

Last edited:

D&A

Looking at these files is making me sad, for my M9.

Thanks, Jono. :p
Don't be David. It's great to aquire tools that extend our capabilities but utilize and enjoy what you're using at the moment and exploit it's strengths. The M9 and it's ability to make stunning inages is well established, including very fine B&W images, even if not technically the pinnicle of performance compared to the very best out there. It's the art and ability to make strong impactful inages that preceeds everything in my opinion.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Don't be David. It's great to aquire tools that extend our capabilities but utilize and enjoy what you're using at the moment and exploit it's strengths. The M9 and it's ability to make stunning inages is well established, including very fine B&W images, even if not technically the pinnicle of performance compared to the very best out there. It's the art and ability to make strong impactful inages that preceeds everything in my opinion.

Dave (D&A)
Damn! There goes my dream about acquiring a "Hemingway" to be a writer. :banghead:

Pixel-peepin' for tonality:

I've been looking at the ISO 320 files of the cabinet, and the first thing I noticed is that the densities (some combination of meters/sensors) weren't quite the same. So I adjusted the Joseph Conrad book in both images to the same density.

The main thing I notice is not a significant difference in resolution at base ISO, but a difference in contrast. The M9M/CCD image is definitely contrastier than the M246/CMOS one.

Judging from this enormous sample of one (1), the 246 'native' tonality is more pleasing to me.

Kirk

jonoslack

Pixel-peepin' for tonality:

I've been looking at the ISO 320 files of the cabinet, and the first thing I noticed is that the densities (some combination of meters/sensors) weren't quite the same. So I adjusted the Joseph Conrad book in both images to the same density.

The main thing I notice is not a significant difference in resolution at base ISO, but a difference in contrast. The M9M/CCD image is definitely contrastier than the M246/CMOS one.

Judging from this enormous sample of one (1), the 246 'native' tonality is more pleasing to me.

Kirk
I agree: a flatter contrast out of camera lends more editing elbow room.

G
Simples - the 246 has more dynamic range . . . incidentally, thanks for mentioning the Conrad book - that doesn't normally live their, it was chosen carefully to show noise / contrast etc. (it's blue fwiw). Nice to know that it was useful (must put it back in the bookcase :) )

bradhusick

Thanks for posting these Jono! I see less noise at any given ISO, but I don't see a big jump in resolution. I will be holding onto my MM for now. I don't mind the crappy LCD.

Brad

D&A

Thanks for posting these Jono! I see less noise at any given ISO, but I don't see a big jump in resolution. I will be holding onto my MM for now. I don't mind the crappy LCD.

Brad
So far thats what I've been observing but in time, the similarities and differences will be better deliniated. So far I appreciate all thats been shared and posted.

Dave (D&A)