The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What should I pay for a M6?

soboyle

Hi All,
Considering picking up a user M6 to get back into B&W film shooting. Looking for an idea of what is a fair price to pay for a good user, doesn't need to be pretty, but recent service would be good. Prefer black. Will probably be putting a 35mm lens on it, so the 0.58x model. Thanks!

FrozenInTime

Absolutely sure you need the x0.58 finder ? It adds a lot of cost due to the low numbers produced. e.g. JapanCameraHunter has a pair of new old stock ones at $3000 each.

The standard x0.72 finder is for most people the perfect choice for 35mm lenses.
A M6 x0.72 would cost between $1200 and $1800.

soboyle

No, do not need the x0.58 finder. I have very little experience with Leica, having owned only the M8 briefly. Price is driving my search, so the x0.72 finder on a user body is what I'll look for. Thank you.

seakayaker

You may want to check out KEH, RFF forum, Leica Forum and the classified section here to see if there are any available.

Good luck with your search!

ReeRay

Do you wear spectacles? If the answer is yes and you favour 35mm then the 0.58x is what you should go for. As a spectacle wearer myself, and preferring 35mm I found the 0.72 almost impossible to see the whole frame whereas the 0.58 is perfect.

If the above doesn't apply then I agree - 0.72.

Godfrey

I wear glasses and find the .72x viewfinder with 35mm lens frames are just about right with my M4-2. It's also just about right for 50mm ... any smaller and the focusing patch is too small for accurate accurate focusing at f/1.4.

The 28mm frames in both the M6 and the M-P (.68x magnification) are invisible to my eyes. I guess or fit a clip-on optical viewfinder (EVF with the M-P); same for the 24 or 21mm.

G

250swb

From another glasses wearer I would also go for the .72 finder. I had a .58 M7 and apart from being able to see all the 28mm framelines in one go the rest of the experience with my much more used 35mm and 50mm lenses was miserable, like looking at a view in the far distance. I do a quick scan around the edges of the frame to see what's going to be in for 28mm and that seems to work OK.

As regards price, a reasonable one in the UK would be around £600-£800, which works out about 30% more than an M2, 25% more than an M3. While the price in the US may be cheaper the ratio of the average premium over say and M2 or M3 is about the same as far as I can see.

Steve

J

JohnW

.72 and 35mm is just right, in my view. Dealers seem to be around $1500. I've noticed craigslist sellers asking a few hundred less than that.

John

Paratom

In Germany I would say Euro 800 as a good price or Euro 1000 as an ok price if its in good condition.

herrbarnack

In Germany I would say Euro 800 as a good price or Euro 1000 as an ok price if its in good condition.
That pretty much holds true for the U.S. market: $900-1150 U.S. for a decent, servicable M6 showing a moderate amount of cosmetic wear, but fully functional in terms of mechanics.