The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What to make of the new Leica slim M?

V

Vivek

The dot is for macro and normal settings (RX1's lens also has thissetting).

It is a fixed lens cam.

Paratom

Paratom - I didn't know there even was an RX2 rumour that said it would be significantly smaller. I just couldn't see giving up the M-system for something else Leica cooks up, unless it were the M-AF pipe dream I mentioned above.
NOT RX2 but Leica x2. The camera based on the x1 (first dx.sized sensor compact camera). I still own and like it for its size, handling and IQ.

algrove

I cannot make out what is written on the button between Delete and ISO? Also the VF looks like a panorama VF with that long slit and its outer shape.

Godfrey

I can focus my RF faster then the X.. And I'm not really a 28 kinda guy. Closer focusing would have been welcome on a whole from the M-system.
I can focus with an RF a bit faster than the X AF system in some circumstances, but the Face Detect feature is pretty hard to beat when you're shooting fast and loose in lowish light. It's a toss up.

Close focusing with any RF has always been a serious limitation due to both RF accuracy and framing accuracy. The X (and M-P) TTL viewing with Live View is simply the right way to do that, as are SLR bodies.

Wondering how it acts in real world use.. Curious particularly about the EVF/AF/IQ.. Although I'm sure that's what everyone else is curious about as well.

Honestly though, the back of the camera looks good. Refreshing to see a somewhat familiar setup. Though that scroll wheel where the thumb indent is.. that will be hard to access.
If it handles as nicely as the X, it will be delightful. I find the X an excellent camera ergonomically in almost all ways. The only minor niggle in handling that some aren't fond of is that location of the aperture ring—they'd prefer it to be around the lens like the M lenses—but I don't find that any problem at all (I don't tend to change aperture all that often that I need it to be on the lens).

It took a little while to get my hands used to the thumbdial on both the X and the M-P; the placement was a tiny bit off for me when I first handled the cameras. But now it feels perfect: my thumb has gotten used to it. The most natural thumbwheel I use is the one on the E-M1, which is simply in the perfect position (even better than the E-1).

The many nuances of camera design... I just wish they'd done this camera with a 50mm lens. Or maybe I don't ... I'm already booked to put out the money for the MM246 when it arrives, why increase the temptation? :)

G

Godfrey

Any hint how it would work? AF/MF, Various modes of shooting I guess. I am not well versed in automatic cameras.
Like with many other modern cameras, there will likely be a menu item that allows you to assign one out of a set of possible functions to the button.

G

etrigan63

Based on the photos I've seen, the auto functions are controlled similar to the X-T1.

To wit:
Set the shutter dial to A + manual aperture = Aperture Priority mode
Set the aperture ring to A + manual shutter speed = Shutter Priority mode
Set both to A = Program mode
Set both to anything but A = Manual mode

PASM without a dedicated dial. No menus needed.

There is a dedicated ISO button + jog wheel/dial on the back.

drevil

Staff member
China is not the best place to go for photography, especially the cities. Too much pollution to show anything beyond a few meters. Personally, I would pick some south american country.
never been to china, or even stayed in china for a bit longer eh?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Like with many other modern cameras, there will likely be a menu item that allows you to assign one out of a set of possible functions to the button.

G
How about "I want to be a real M" button?

sjg284

Agreed
Love the X 113 controls.
As close to an M as possible while being extremely light, having AF, etc.

And I'm with you on the 50mm comment.
Too bad this is coming out with a 28mm.
But probably good for me as I've bought too much camera gear the last 18 months...!

I can focus with an RF a bit faster than the X AF system in some circumstances, but the Face Detect feature is pretty hard to beat when you're shooting fast and loose in lowish light. It's a toss up.

Close focusing with any RF has always been a serious limitation due to both RF accuracy and framing accuracy. The X (and M-P) TTL viewing with Live View is simply the right way to do that, as are SLR bodies.

If it handles as nicely as the X, it will be delightful. I find the X an excellent camera ergonomically in almost all ways. The only minor niggle in handling that some aren't fond of is that location of the aperture ring—they'd prefer it to be around the lens like the M lenses—but I don't find that any problem at all (I don't tend to change aperture all that often that I need it to be on the lens).

It took a little while to get my hands used to the thumbdial on both the X and the M-P; the placement was a tiny bit off for me when I first handled the cameras. But now it feels perfect: my thumb has gotten used to it. The most natural thumbwheel I use is the one on the E-M1, which is simply in the perfect position (even better than the E-1).

The many nuances of camera design... I just wish they'd done this camera with a 50mm lens. Or maybe I don't ... I'm already booked to put out the money for the MM246 when it arrives, why increase the temptation? :)

G

aDam007

Has a macro function (like the RX1)... Where I originally thought maybe the lens could detach. Still looks like it was built for smooth MF.

Godfrey

Based on the photos I've seen, the auto functions are controlled similar to the X-T1.

To wit:
Set the shutter dial to A + manual aperture = Aperture Priority mode
Set the aperture ring to A + manual shutter speed = Shutter Priority mode
Set both to A = Program mode
Set both to anything but A = Manual mode

PASM without a dedicated dial. No menus needed.

There is a dedicated ISO button + jog wheel/dial on the back.
Indeed ... Note that the first digital cameras I recall to use this scheme were the Leica Digilux 2/Panasonic LC1, then the Leica Digilux 3/Panasonic L1, all the X1/X2/X typ 113s, etc. Most of which pre-dated the Fuji X-T1 by a good number of years. ;-)

G

etrigan63

Indeed ... Note that the first digital cameras I recall to use this scheme were the Leica Digilux 2/Panasonic LC1, then the Leica Digilux 3/Panasonic L1, all the X1/X2/X typ 113s, etc. Most of which pre-dated the Fuji X-T1 by a good number of years. ;-)

G
Never said X-T1 was first. As I have no experience with cameras you mentioned, I could not comment with authority on them. In their case, I bow to you Godfrey. On the other hand, as a former X-T1 owner, I can say with confidence that the X-T1 operates this way.

etrigan63

If the Leica Q sells well (in Leica terms of course), do you think history will repeat itself a la the RX1 --> Alpha 7 evolution?

V

Vivek

Regardless of how the Q does, Leica should come out with an interchangeable version of it. They should clearly quote the declining M sales and make a case for a non mechanical mirrorless cam. Hopefully, such a camera will have a swivel LCD to make it more versatile.