The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What to make of the new Leica slim M?

algrove

So if reports are to be certain there will be a new Leica slimmed down M to be announced very soon. Rumors or not?

Seems it will have the 24MP sensor of the M-P and will take both M and T lenses. It will also have a different "rangefinder" if that's what it can be called.

D&A

So if reports are to be certain there will be a new Leica slimmed down M to be announced very soon. Rumors or not?

Seems it will have the 24MP sensor of the M-P and will take both M and T lenses. It will also have a different "rangefinder" if that's what it can be called.
Wow Lou, where can I read more about this rumor that may turn out to be true. Something tells me Leica is not distancing themselves from their bread and butter, the optical rangefinder but finding ways to bring younger fresh blood thats used to EVF and AF yet keep options open for some of them to eventually step up to a traditional M digital rangefinder if so desired.

I feel Leica made a lot of misteps with the T concept and well as maybe wity the X vario (whos image quality is great)....but now maybe can incorporate many of these ideas into an intergated modern product yet without giving up their roots...the traditional rangefindet we all love to use. We'll see whats in store soon enough.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
Well, I think most Leica fans would be quite happy to have just slimmed down M240. Make it a production run of the M60, in black paint & with strap lugs at normal prices and they'll have queues around the block at their stores..

How I've come to understand things is that Leica/M fans love the simplicity. Adding to that gets people queueing and taking things away from it kills the business. The X and T business are there for autofocus and depending on chosen line simplicity or new technologies.

//Juha

algrove

Wow Lou, where can I read more about this rumor that may turn out to be true. Something tells me Leica is not distancing themselves from their bread and butter, the optical rangefinder but finding ways to bring younger fresh blood thats used to EVF and AF yest keep options open for some.of them to eventually step up to a traditional M digital rangefinder if so desired.

I feel Leica made a lot of misteps with the T concept and well as maybe wity the X vario (whos image quality is great)....but now maybe can incorporate many of these ideas into an intergated modern produxt yet without giving up their roots...the traditional rangefindet we all love to use. We'll see whats in store soon enough.

Dave (D&A)
The Mirrorless Rumor website makes some VERY positive statements, like they are 100% sure this will happen based on their Leica contacts. WOW! I have no idea, but Leica needs something other than an S 007 refresh to CMOS and an M246, 28/1.4 and repainted 50/1.4 and 35/2.0 to get sales going since after 6 months of "sales" things must still be bleak.

I want Leica to succeed so anything to bring in more customers will be welcomed news. For me at this point I am pleased with how the 24MP cameras perform and as such if this "new" camera has that sensor then it could be of interest to me as a backup to my M240 platform. Right now I could care less about usability with T lenses.

V

Vivek

The Mirrorless Rumor website makes some VERY positive statements, like they are 100% sure this will happen based on their Leica contacts. WOW! I have no idea, but Leica needs something other than an S 007 refresh to CMOS and an M246, 28/1.4 and repainted 50/1.4 and 35/2.0 to get sales going since after 6 months of "sales" things must still be bleak.

I want Leica to succeed so anything to bring in more customers will be welcomed news. For me at this point I am pleased with how the 24MP cameras perform and as such if this "new" camera has that sensor then it could be of interest to me as a backup to my M240 platform. Right now I could care less about usability with T lenses.

Just slash the prices by 50% and things will start moving.

Paratom

M,T,X,S,Q,... How many different systems do they plan to introduce.
I wouldnt mind a slimmed down M though.

V

Vivek

I think they are following Sony strategy (if there is one :eek:). Throw some stuff out and see what might catch on. Looks like a very expensive experiment to me. Add to this the flawed cameras being churned out. M8 (IR bleed), M9/MM sensor cover plates getting ruined,... not sure if the M240, MM2 will have defects. While the service may be better than the others, they can't be making goods like this again and again.

uhoh7

Huge.

Barnack. Barnack. Barnack.

Current M9 and 240 are big, heavy and fat to me: though I love my M9 and it's my main shooter.

M6: a joy in comparision.

So a slim M would be great, but the question is of course: how is it implemented?

The RF alone costs 750 USD for a 240, so this is playing into their thinking. I'd like to see a Slim W/RF as well.

But fantastic news, I think.

Well, to think of shaving something off the depth of the body.. Dropping lcd should shave couple of mm and also, though this is blasphemy, they could actually make lens mount stick out by 2-3 mm. Make the mount in body color and nobody will notice when lens is mounted..

These together should help shave off 4-5mm of depth from the rest of the body and make it nice sized again.

Also shaving the lcd should save bit of weight along with the materials lost when making body slimmer. And since there's no lcd to draw power, we could get similar battery performance with smaller & lighter battery also.

In essence fine tune the M60 design to make it lighter and back to the size of film M.

//Juha

Godfrey

Whatever it might be, I look forward to what Leica produces.

Whether it's something that poses advantage to me or not I'll know when it is announced and released. :)

G

Lars

No Mirrorles Rumors is where I first saw it.
Got it. I guess we'll know in a few weeks. I'm curious what the business logic would be behind this, but it's a bit pointless to discuss without knowing what the new product actually is.

250swb

It could all be true, Sean Reid says he will publish a 'surprise' this Spring, but I worry that Leica are going to cobble together yet another 'parts bin special' and not push any boundaries.

Steve

V

Vivek

I suppose 'parts bin special' sounds better than "boutique item". I have to remember that. :)