The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

leica X or X varo or D-lux

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Hi guys haven't been around for a while...Going to Russia on Ukraine boarder need a small stealthy Leica with good IQ. I will consider other brands but always had Leica M's and love the Leica signature . Sold M9 and kit several years back and don't want to do that expense again especially where confiscation is a possibility. Prints will be made don't know what sizes though….thanks in advance.

Shashin

If you like a fixed focal length, then I would opt for a Sony RX-1 or RX-1r over those Leica X compacts. As far as print size, neither Leica nor the Sony have any limit on print size--an unfortunate but persistent myth about printing. As far as the D-Lux, why not the Panasonic version? I guess if I was going for a compact zoom camera, the Sony RX100 III would be another camera to consider.

Paratom

Hi guys haven't been around for a while...Going to Russia on Ukraine boarder need a small stealthy Leica with good IQ. I will consider other brands but always had Leica M's and love the Leica signature . Sold M9 and kit several years back and don't want to do that expense again especially where confiscation is a possibility. Prints will be made don't know what sizes though….thanks in advance.
If portability is important I still like the "original" X2 a lot. Its ony f2.8 but considrably smaller than the X or the X-Vario.
Between the X and X Vario...only you know if you get along with 35mm only (I believe there is a lot that can be shot with 35mm) or if you prefer the 2870 zoom range. I would maybe even say buy a T and a 23/2.0 + standard zoom so you have both, a good zoom and a fast prime.
Do you plan to shoot a lot inside? In this case I would prefer the X. Do you shoot mainly outside...In this case I would prefer the X-Vario (or T with zoom).
D-Lux...I once bought a LX100 (for my wife)some months ago-we havent used it at all. Too big for a compact and I believe the IQ is not up to the DX sized sensors. Its a nice compromise but not my taste.
Tom

mwalker

Subscriber Member
thanks to you both, yes I'm leaning to the Sony rx-1r right now,
shooting inside and out...about 10 hours from Moscow to where I'm going.. Bryansk. Reluctant on T system because seems to me a little cheaper than a M system but not by much. Of course your almost there with a rx-1r….I always do this and torture myself before a purchase.

Despite being a Leica fan for decades, in your case I´d go for a Ricoh GR. It is extremely versatile, fast-working, compact, and discreet. The image quality actually rivals the Leica alternatives, and it costs half of a D-Lux, so less of a disaster if it is destroyed or confiscated.

I bought one a couple of months ago, to complement my M9 and Monochrom, and I´m impressed with this little thing; it does a great job!

Paratom

thanks to you both, yes I'm leaning to the Sony rx-1r right now,
shooting inside and out...about 10 hours from Moscow to where I'm going.. Bryansk. Reluctant on T system because seems to me a little cheaper than a M system but not by much. Of course your almost there with a rx-1r….I always do this and torture myself before a purchase.
or maybe a used M9+28 or 35 ;)

depends on what kind of camera you like. X113 with ovf/evf& grip would be very close to M in handling. also all important functions are right at your hand, where sony is more menu based computer with a million little settings.

sony has advantage on high iso & shallow dof. I reckon Leicas advantage is simplicity & better batterylife. I would probably pair X113 & X Vario together, as they also share filters, grip & battery.

//Juha

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Re: leica X or X varo or D-lux OR Sony RX1r

Yes the Sony has a lot of settings menus but can be customized to a few buttons on the camera. I've always liked Leica's because of the simplicity. But with the resolution of the RX1s sensor, it gives you some room for in-camera or post cropping.... some digital zoom if needed.....and its so freaking small......but you do have to squeeze it to get close to the "Leica look". I love Leica's but what I need now is a small fixed prime with a large sensor...me's thinks....

Last edited: