The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First Leica Q photos up on Leicas Blog!

JohnBrew

Well, I must say after reading the specs and seeing images of the unit, Leica got this one right.

Paratom

Lets say someone allready owns a Leica M - would there be any reason to buy the Q instead of a 28/2.8 for the M?

Godfrey

Lets say someone allready owns a Leica M - would there be any reason to buy the Q instead of a 28/2.8 for the M?
Aside from the fact that you're comparing an f/1.7 lens vs an f/2.8 lens...
For similar reasons as to why I purchased a Leica X typ 113 over buying a Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 FLE:

- I wanted an older 'Lux 35 for the M due to its specific imaging qualities, but I also value the modern lenses as well.
- It's less expensive and produces very similar quality images.
- The X supports much closer focusing, autofocus when that's useful/convenient, and Program/Aperture/Shutter priority AE when that's convenient.
- Overall, if I'm just wanting to use the one lens, the X is a smaller, lighter camera to carry.

Buying both the X and a 'Lux 35 v2 netted me the best of both worlds.

I consider the M-P a wonderful camera with the versatility of interchangeable lenses as a big part of its appeal. But there are many occasions when a fixed lens camera of similar quality and performance, and with more automation features, is very useful to me.

I'd probably be poorer today if the Q shipped with a 50mm f/2 lens. Whew, escaped that one! I need that money for the MM246... =8^O

G

Viramati

Bye-bye Leica M and 28 cron asph, Hello Leica Q. Mine is already on order and trade in arranged. What with this and the Sony A7II with the FE55 I can cover nearly all my work. Brilliant

msadat

it seems it is using a sony sensor, i wonder why they did not use these sensors for the m and also the new s .

animefx

I have placed my pre-order after seeing photos from Leica's blog, Jono's, and Steve Huff's. I think Leica is finally on the right track and even the ISO seems better than what we usual expect from Leica camears but maybe that is just my excitement talking?

Jono: I'm curious about how loud the shutter when its not in electronic mode? Also, how good the optical image stabilization is as well? Any guesses to how many stops it can stabilize? Any comments on the behavior? Thanks!

Unfortunately, there will be at least a temporary influx of 28mm Summicron and maybe 28 elmarit M lenses on eBay now. I was hoping my 28mm would pay for 70% of the camera or so.

Mike Woods

From Jono's front page report:
It has hardware based image stabilisation and a full frame 24mp CMOS sensor designed and built exclusively for Leica which was not made by either CMOSIS or by Sony, (at the moment they are not releasing who actually made it) .

Mike

jonoslack

it seems it is using a sony sensor, i wonder why they did not use these sensors for the m and also the new s .
Hi There
Not a Sony sensor - or a CMOSIS Sensor

animefx - the shutter is a leaf shutter and is really quiet in normal mode (effectively unnoticeable).

all the best

ashwinrao1

I am in for this one...do I sense a future sensor for the coming M360 or what have you (ahem, oh say an ILC version of this camera)?

Needless to say, I am definitely going to spring for this camera, which checks off many boxes!

Jono, can the digital crop work for RAW images?