The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Q: First impressions.

Two quick questions for those with the camera.

1. Is there is any face based AF mode?
2. I downloaded a bunch of the DNGs at photographyblog.com and noticed that even a bit minor lifting of shadows resulted in visible pattern banding. Are you guys seeing this on your production cameras at all?

Thanks!

aDam007

Two quick questions for those with the camera.

1. Is there is any face based AF mode?
2. I downloaded a bunch of the DNGs at photographyblog.com and noticed that even a bit minor lifting of shadows resulted in visible pattern banding. Are you guys seeing this on your production cameras at all?

Thanks!

1) Yes, and it works well. As in subjects are sharp. The only problem, it always focuses on the wrong face :D

2) Yes and no.. It depends on how badly you screw up. I haven't noticed this as much as I have on the M246.

V

Vivek

1) Yes, and it works well. As in subjects are sharp. The only problem, it always focuses on the wrong face :D

2) Yes and no.. It depends on how badly you screw up. I haven't noticed this as much as I have on the M246.
That sounds like a typical CDAF focus.

"how badly you screw up". Haha. May be too much to ask from a "premium" camera? :loco:

D&A

Ashwin wrote ---> " If it is successful, which I think it will, it'll be a great sign of things to come."

I couldn't agree more and not just with future varients of the Q model but with many of its feature and performance characteristics finding their way into a future M based rangefinder body (maybe with a hybrid viewfinder).

One outstanding thing that immediately impressed me about the Q imagery ia its color profile, resembling more of the M9 color signature than that of the M240. Something tells me Leica was.listening.

Dave (D&a)

ashwinrao1

Dave, totally agreed, the color signature seems...how should I say...familiar...in a good way...I am once again getting tones that I enjoy...

aDam, I totally agree that 28 is a challenge and not my favorite FL. That being said, I am all about taking on new challenges and seeing in ways that force me to get better....the Q also does a nice job seeing in 35 with a slight crop (plus frame lines) so it may be a fun way to use the camera...I am not a fan of the distortions and smaller file sizes introduced by the crop down to 50, however....

aDam007

Ashwin - Nice images, love the latte art :D
Yeah the concept and execution of the crop is neat. I just don't like the idea of buying a camera and then making cropping a habit. I'll either have to get use to 28mm or get rid of the camera :(

turtle

I have to ask: why would you buy this camera if you know you don't like 28mm? I had assumed it would only appeal to people who are darned sure they love 28mm!

aDam007

I have to ask: why would you buy this camera if you know you don't like 28mm? I had assumed it would only appeal to people who are darned sure they love 28mm!
Partly to support the brands decision to go FF/AF and to maintain similar body styling. Partly because I wanted to see where Leica is headed. Considering I'm heavily invested in the brand, and use their products to make a living.
And lastly because it's a challenge.. It forces me to use the 28FL, which makes a lot of sense if you consider how much I use 50mm lenses.

V

Vivek

Partly to support the brands decision to go FF/AF and to maintain similar body styling. Partly because I wanted to see where Leica is headed. Considering I'm heavily invested in the brand, and use their products to make a living.
Adam, I appreciate that honesty. I somehow thought that is exactly what you are doing with the Q.

However, how many people would that take to shore up a brand?

iiiNelson

Yeah I would think that Leica would do the Q with 35mm or 50mm since those are the focal lengths that come to mind first when I think Leica. I understand the hesitation to do 35mm since Sony, Fuji, and the Leica X sort of cover this but no one else has done a fixed 50mm... Just an observation.

I'll say that a more versatile focal length like a 35/50mm would make the price a bit easier to swallow. It probably wouldn't make me run out and buy a Q immediately to be honest but it would make be more intrigued into the possibility of owning a Q. The 28mm focal length gives me no such thoughts.

seakayaker

I can live with the dedicated 28mm lens. Right now, I can not live with the price of the Q.

Will love seeing the images it produces in the meantime and patiently wait for the time when the price and the need is a good fit.

jonoslack

Adam, Ashwin, Vivek
Interesting discussion about Focal Length, and close to my heart, in that much of my time this year has been spent with either the 28 'lux or the Q.

I'm definitely a longer FL person - my most used lens is the 75 APO 'cron, It has been a struggle, but I've come out at the end of it rather liking 28mm - my current trip (sadly nearly over) I've spent a lot of time shooting either a 28mm (the Q) or a 90mm (the macro elmar), it's worked rather well and encouraged a bit of a re-think.

One thing that is worth saying is that if you're running loose with one fixed focal length , then you can manage 35 with a 28 . . . but not 28 with a 35!

all the best

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am actually pretty comfortable with either 28 or 35, so this would not be a deal breaker for the Q. And as already mentioned, the 28 is more flexible usually and can do what a 35 cannot. And you always can crop to 35 ....

But I think I would miss a medium tele like 75 or 90. So this is currently my struggle with the Q.

furtle

no one else has done a fixed 50mm... Just an observation.
Got to say the Q is getting some attention and I'm not surprised at the great reports being filed.

On your comment above, the little Sigma DPM and Q ranges are equivalent to 28mm, 45mm and 75mm; all being fixed lenses with exceptional IQ. Yes, yes, they have a whole drum role of stuff that isn't good which is pretty much all fixed by the Leica Q.

I think Leica have opened a can of worms with the Q and if they add a couple more versions - 45mm & 75mm by any chance? - my feeling is they will pretty much knock the M on the head. None of this is good news for the used prices of the Ms. I sure Leica are fully aware of this and are simply dragging their range finder followers into the 21st century.

Just my thoughts. I don't have a Leica but certainly haven't ruled one out.

aDam007

Adam, I appreciate that honesty. I somehow thought that is exactly what you are doing with the Q.

However, how many people would that take to shore up a brand?
True... But I can't in good conscious rave that Leica isn't doing all they can to bring us the best possible tools for the job. Then overlook one of the most advanced cameras that's hit the market.

Let's hope the camera itself is enough to bring in customers. And the response Leica sees from it is enough to convince them to make something truly awesome!

aDam007

Adam, Ashwin, Vivek
Interesting discussion about Focal Length, and close to my heart, in that much of my time this year has been spent with either the 28 'lux or the Q.

I'm definitely a longer FL person - my most used lens is the 75 APO 'cron, It has been a struggle, but I've come out at the end of it rather liking 28mm - my current trip (sadly nearly over) I've spent a lot of time shooting either a 28mm (the Q) or a 90mm (the macro elmar), it's worked rather well and encouraged a bit of a re-think.

One thing that is worth saying is that if you're running loose with one fixed focal length , then you can manage 35 with a 28 . . . but not 28 with a 35!

all the best

Hi Jono,

For the longest time Leica was pimping their 28Cron and 75APO as the perfect two lens kit. It's a wonder that the Q didn't come out in a 28 and 75 version. I think those two FLs could cover 90% of my work.

To be honest, I love the 75APO, one of my favourite lenses.. It doesn't get enough use though, with the 50APO around.

Paratom

Ok, you can crop 28 to 35.
But if one is also interested in shooting images of people a little closer distances or focus more on one person 35mm - imo - is the starting focal length. I know what I use on the M ... 35mm and 50mm much much more than 28.
A question of taste and style of photography.

Maybe Leica choose 28mm to not be in competition with the Sony.

iiiNelson

Got to say the Q is getting some attention and I'm not surprised at the great reports being filed.

On your comment above, the little Sigma DPM and Q ranges are equivalent to 28mm, 45mm and 75mm; all being fixed lenses with exceptional IQ. Yes, yes, they have a whole drum role of stuff that isn't good which is pretty much all fixed by the Leica Q.

I think Leica have opened a can of worms with the Q and if they add a couple more versions - 45mm & 75mm by any chance? - my feeling is they will pretty much knock the M on the head. None of this is good news for the used prices of the Ms. I sure Leica are fully aware of this and are simply dragging their range finder followers into the 21st century.

Just my thoughts. I don't have a Leica but certainly haven't ruled one out.
Unless Leica makes an interchangeable mount Q it will NEVER truly be competition nor cannibalize M sales. The same can be said for the RX1when compared to a FE/A camera. Fixed lens cameras are too limited to pose a serious threat to system cameras - even moreso when they cost more than 99% of all cameras.