The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica Q

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I'm traveling with just the Q and a phone. I can get pics to Facebook, but not here. When back home, I'll process and post.

Actually, I can get them to Flickr, but the phone interface doesn't make it easy to get a link to the images. Technology:rolleyes:

--Matt

MGrayson

Rain started a few seconds later. I tried exposure bracketing to keep the highlight detail. I usually prefer a natural look to landscapes. I want it to feel "yes, that's just what it was like." And yet, something drew me to this processing. I'm horrified and fascinated. Oh well - I guess everyone goes through an over-processed HDR stage... :rolleyes:

--Matt

RiversPhoto

That is a fascinating photograph. I'm curious about one thing. Do you have to somehow sterilise the camera before taking it into a operating theatre - or is it enough just to stand well back?

LouisB
There is a sterile area in the OR which one needs to be 2 feet away with unsterile equipment to protect the patient or else incur the wrath of the circulating nurse. I routinely photograph and video in OR's and make sure I listen carefully to the nurses in charge.

Eye surgery is routinely performed with the lights down so that the surgeon can see clearly through the microscope. This was particularly dramatic lighting.

Michael

erudolph

Rain started a few seconds later. I tried exposure bracketing to keep the highlight detail. I usually prefer a natural look to landscapes. I want it to feel "yes, that's just what it was like." And yet, something drew me to this processing. I'm horrified and fascinated. Oh well - I guess everyone goes through an over-processed HDR stage... :rolleyes:

--Matt
Painterly, like paint builds up after much work and rework

MGrayson

Well, it was right there. What was I supposed to do?

I'm compiling "32 Views of Mt. Sinai". (For those who don't know NYC, the large blocky black building is Mt. Sinai hospital.)

--Matt

Last edited:

Millsart

Westley walk b&w.jpg

Really enjoying how the Q AF is quick (and accurate) enough to capture a quick moment like this. Can't say my Ricoh GR or Sony RX1 or A7 series camera's would of caught it. Certainly all good camera's in their own right, that when used correctly can produce great images, but I rather enjoy seeing something, having near instant AF, and actually having it be in focus. Loving the Q

tashley

Subscriber Member
A few from last week in Grenada

Sadly, though I enjoyed the camera greatly (having purchased it on eBay at Christmas) it has had to go to Solms to have two faults sorted out. One is a sensor spot (grrr) and one is a faulty 4-way control pad, which has no 'click' feel or sound on the downstroke though it does work properly.

I decided to get the Q because the RX1RII is on perma-delivery-delay and because while I was waiting for it, I tried a Q and loved it. I might prefer the better sensor and higher pixel count of the Sony, but for look, feel and focal length, the Leica wins. Great lens too, though a lot of that is software - and by my calculation from looking at the files in RAW Digger, by the time the camera has made the lens corrections, you're not getting 24mp but 21.5mp interpolated upwards. Never mind, the files are nice enough though the shadows aren't as good as a Sony sensor would be.

ps. I processed these on a Mac but whilst travelling, I used an iPad Pro and it really was fun - PS Express can even read the RAW files. The only problem is no highlight and shadow blowout warnings.

ohnri

A few from last week in Grenada

Sadly, though I enjoyed the camera greatly (having purchased it on eBay at Christmas) it has had to go to Solms to have two faults sorted out. One is a sensor spot (grrr) and one is a faulty 4-way control pad, which has no 'click' feel or sound on the downstroke though it does work properly.

I decided to get the Q because the RX1RII is on perma-delivery-delay and because while I was waiting for it, I tried a Q and loved it. I might prefer the better sensor and higher pixel count of the Sony, but for look, feel and focal length, the Leica wins. Great lens too, though a lot of that is software - and by my calculation from looking at the files in RAW Digger, by the time the camera has made the lens corrections, you're not getting 24mp but 21.5mp interpolated upwards. Never mind, the files are nice enough though the shadows aren't as good as a Sony sensor would be.

ps. I processed these on a Mac but whilst travelling, I used an iPad Pro and it really was fun - PS Express can even read the RAW files. The only problem is no highlight and shadow blowout warnings.
Lovely colors.

How did you get your RAW images onto your iPad
Pro?

-Bill

tashley

Subscriber Member
Lovely colors.

How did you get your RAW images onto your iPad
Pro?

-Bill
Thanks. It's opaque but easy: shoot RAW + JPEG. do a simple import onto ipad's Photos app using either direct cable or card reader. Then use Photoshop Express app to open the image and, if it sees a raw companion file it will open and edit that rather than the JPEG. To test this, set camera style to B&W so that the JPEG is monochrome. You'll see that PS Express opens the color file, in other words the DNG rather than the JPEG. This is the easiest workflow out of various options, with the caveat that the work you do is then saved as a JPEG.

ohnri

Thanks. It's opaque but easy: shoot RAW + JPEG. do a simple import onto ipad's Photos app using either direct cable or card reader. Then use Photoshop Express app to open the image and, if it sees a raw companion file it will open and edit that rather than the JPEG. To test this, set camera style to B&W so that the JPEG is monochrome. You'll see that PS Express opens the color file, in other words the DNG rather than the JPEG. This is the easiest workflow out of various options, with the caveat that the work you do is then saved as a JPEG.
Great! I'll pick up a card reader with a lightning connector.

Thanks,

Bill