The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica Q

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Nice! The Q has really pleasant rendering, doesn't it?

The colors by default are a bit strong, but not garish, and they can always be toned down. This is taken at almost the same time as the sunrise, but not facing the light show:

--Matt

harmsr

Workshop Member
Renaissance3-16-1.jpgRenaissance3-16-3.jpgRenaissance3-16-4.jpgRenaissance3-16-10.jpg

Finally getting used to the 28mm vs. 35mm for these kind of shots.

I think the Storm trooper took a wrong turn in the time machine.

Prestonk

My Leica Q, I saw other people posting up their samples, they look amazing. When I looked at mine is like what did I do wrong. Any great tips would be awesome, maybe they edited their photo?

here is my sample.. taken at 12:40AM midnight

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
My Leica Q, I saw other people posting up their samples, they look amazing. When I looked at mine is like what did I do wrong. Any great tips would be awesome, maybe they edited their photo?
Looks great, although Cask Strength can be dangerous. :cool:

What bothers you in that shot? If everything but the label is too dark, raise the shadows. If that makes the background too light, add vignetting. I do that in most shots to help keep the eye on the subject. The Q's RAW files are fairly malleable.

Two of the great strengths of the Q are portability and speed. Take it everywhere. Shoot everything. Always good advice, but it's easier to actually DO it with the Q. I've had surprising success with portraits, and I would previously never have used anything shorter than 80mm for that. Landscapes and architecture are easy. For wider angle subjects, you can take a quick panorama click-click-click done. One of my first Q captures was a sunrise with four frames making a 40+MP 19mm FoV final image.

Want to do candids but are not comfortable getting that close? Use the phone app to control the camera as it hangs on your chest.

Macro opportunities abound.

And yes, the vast majority of images benefit from some post-processing. Q jpegs are very good, but I always reprocess the RAW.

But please, have fun with it!

Best,

Matt

Lars

In case this is of interest... here is an uncorrected raw image from a Leica Q, including distortion, fall-off and IC limit.
Full sensor size seems to be 6016x4016 px.

Malina DZ

In case this is of interest...
Distortion is not as bad and noticeable w/o correction at infinity as it is at 3m and closer.
I like 75° field of view for environmental portraits. Unfortunately, this 28/1.7 Summilux doesn't work well in this regard, and build-in distortion profile skews faces and bodies even further. I don't see it mentioned in user reviews, but shared images speak for themselves.

RiversPhoto

image.jpeg

Really love the macro ability of the 28mm lens. Auto focus on a squirming puppy was a huge help, also.

Michael
TealWayFilms.com

silver92b

I just got my Leica Q. Only had a chance for a few shots.... These are from separate shooting opportunities around Miami, Ft Lauderdale.

L1000274-2.jpg

L1000377-2.jpg

L1000285.jpg

L1000333-2.jpg