The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Q - Unboxing

ashwinrao1

I had a great time unboxing the Leica Q at the Bellevue Leica Store (here in the Seattle area). The Bellevue store is the newest in Leica's U.S. brick and mortar presence and they got 8 cameras today. I received the second of these. The camera box set up is similar to that of the Leica M cameras (240), and is well thought out. The packaging really adds again to the joy of opening and holding the lens...The camera itself is incredible. I was able to buy the grip and loop, and I really dig this combo. Compact, really nice set up. I suspect that this will be a camera to be used for a long time to come for those social outings, food photos, and travel/reportage/street work that I much enjoy.

cam

Okay, Ashwin, since you're such an evil influence on me...

Catch me up on what you have (gear)? And what you're letting loose as I see you have the Loxias up (so tempting!).

I find myself pulling out the RX1 a lot when it's a grab-and-go situation because of the size (but that darned EVF likes to play rough and tumble at the most importune times)... I still prefer shooting with my M more, but sometimes you want to travel light -- and silent.

Speaking of which, how is the shutter sound?

gmack

I'm continually amazed at the results of the "little brother" GR. If only it had an internal EVF!

V

Vivek

I am hoping the A7R ii unboxing will be a bit more high profile, hopefully, in a Ric Flair outfit complete with a cape and septor. :D

m_driscoll

Ashwin got his camera last Friday. Mine finally came in on the boat from New Jersey, today. I was shocked speechless when I 'unboxed' it. I may have momentarily blacked out! What do I do now? There's not another boat to New Jersey until next month.

:confused::mad::cussing:;):D

onesixeight

Matt, how did you get the "P" version so quick? Haha!

I just got mine from up the road. Leica finally got the formula right! It's a true shooters camera with the controls in the right places. A camera that makes you want to go out and shoot.

Reynolds

Workshop Member
Good morning! I have been away from Leica since my M9 and the discovery that my eyesight was not quite up to manual focus. Have been using Fuji XT-1 and the X100T. The Q is bringing me back!! On order with B&H...hoping for it soon.

So...since then, Leica has added the "type" numbers. What's that all about? Are there different Qs out there other than the "type 116"? As usual, confused.

Godfrey

Good morning! I have been away from Leica since my M9 and the discovery that my eyesight was not quite up to manual focus. Have been using Fuji XT-1 and the X100T. The Q is bringing me back!! On order with B&H...hoping for it soon.

So...since then, Leica has added the "type" numbers. What's that all about? Are there different Qs out there other than the "type 116"? As usual, confused.
There's only one Q right now, so typ 116 is irrelevant. But when the second and third Q camera is released, the type number will help you distinguish between them, just like with the M (now M/M-P typ 240 and MM typ 246).

G

ashwinrao1

A Q typ "50 mm f/1.4 asph" would be nice :) Or is that a type 119?

Matt, that unboxing photo made my day...i laughed out loud! It appears that I am a Fuji shooter, by the looks of the photo :)

barjohn

I have read on a post elsewhere that when pressing the shutter button to wake up the camera from sleep mode that it brings up the menu instead of being ready to shoot. Is this true and if so is it a bug that needs to be fixed?

barjohn

I know a lot of folks think I dislike Leica because I have complained about the performance of the electronics and customer service; however, I actually am a fan of Leica from the film days and just been disappointed in their electronics and CS. My intent has always been to try and get them to improve. Having said that and having tried the XV and the T and been disappointed in the AF performance and the slow electronics, this camera interests me because it appears to address the issues that bothered me the most. As Ashwin has speculated, this camera's electronics and firmware may be more Panasonic than Leica and that is not a bad thing to me. One issue remains and that is whether firmware fixes and upgrades will be forthcoming at a faster pace than in the past where problems are allowed to remain un fixed for 12 months or more. Maybe Panasonic will provide quicker fixes. It is certainly the closest to the digital CL many of us have been longing for and finally a built in EVF! I may wind up buying one but want to be sure any major issues are addressed and fixed.

aDam007

I know a lot of folks think I dislike Leica because I have complained about the performance of the electronics and customer service; however, I actually am a fan of Leica from the film days and just been disappointed in their electronics and CS. My intent has always been to try and get them to improve. Having said that and having tried the XV and the T and been disappointed in the AF performance and the slow electronics, this camera interests me because it appears to address the issues that bothered me the most. As Ashwin has speculated, this camera's electronics and firmware may be more Panasonic than Leica and that is not a bad thing to me. One issue remains and that is whether firmware fixes and upgrades will be forthcoming at a faster pace than in the past where problems are allowed to remain un fixed for 12 months or more. Maybe Panasonic will provide quicker fixes. It is certainly the closest to the digital CL many of us have been longing for and finally a built in EVF! I may wind up buying one but want to be sure any major issues are addressed and fixed.
Hi Bob,

Not that my review is good or anything.. But it is rolling, and has a lot of information on it.. And I'm of the same mindset as you, so you might find it interesting to read.

To directly address the issues on here. There really isn't anything wrong with the camera that would make you regret buying it. If you're fond of the 28mm focal length, then you're going to get along well with this camera. Really you will.

The only thing I'd like them to address in a firmware, would be the EVF for image taking and LCD for menu and playback (on auto sensor). I explain in better detail somewhere in my rolling review.

The only other thing I think they could address is having the option of setting the AF mode using the thumb wheel (I think that could be a good idea, because that's the only other thing I sometimes want to change on the fly). But right now it's reserved for the input of half stops due to the full stop shutter (see below point)

The last thing, unfortunately is a hardware update. And won't happen. But I would have liked half stops for the aperture and shutter dials. Instead of 1/3 stop aperture and full stop shutters with thumb wheel incremental shutter adjustments.

And I don't know if this is possible, and or if it will effect the AF, but I would like a smaller AF box. Or to option to adjust the AF box size.

jonoslack

To directly address the issues on here. There really isn't anything wrong with the camera that would make you regret buying it. If you're fond of the 28mm focal length, then you're going to get along well with this camera. Really you will.
HI There
Couldn't agree more. I have a friend who's definition of Good Technology is that it is "Not Irritating" - to my mind the Q is a perfect example of this.

I quite agree about the firmware update options - especially the EVF only option with review/menu on the LCD ( I think the rear wheel is more complex than you suggest - I'd like it to work like the M where it can be set to do direct exposure compensation). There are more small things, but none of them really affects the use, which is a real pleasure.

all the best

Paratom

Hi Barjohn,
I understand that you have very high expectations. For example I still do use the T system and find the AF - with the 23 and with the 18-56 - far from being unusable. I am not talking about stills but about two kids.
So if the Q- at the moment-does not fully fulfill your expectation, I would rather wait until a firmware has happened and see if it has addressed your concerns, instead of hoping for faster firmware updates.
FOr my part, I believe that the Q could be right for me, even though I had doubts about the 28mm focal lengths and the EVF in the first reaction.
But I also do like the T system quite a bit, so I guess in some regards I have lower expectations.
I don't expect Leica to change frequency of firmware updates or service times.
(I have not had a problem with service times, but I also have a very good photo store with good relation to Leica).
Just my guesses...
Best with your decision, Tom

barjohn

So far no one that has the camera has addressed the issue that another user raised about the camera not waking from sleep at a ½ press of the shutter button ready to shoot but instead bringing up the menu system. Is he wrong or right? This is the only issue of concern that I have read.