The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

When to sell with least loss?

4season

At the risk of going somewhat off-topic, I'm thinking that some resale markets have tanked because of a cultural shift. And to read the business news, it seems that the so-called "Millennials Generation" have got big businesses ranging from automakers to deBeers worried that they're simply not interested in buying the same sorts of things that their parents did.

My completely unscientific gut feeling is that some of today's hotter trends originated from thrift stores and basements--basically creating hobbies out of society's discards.

In photography, that might include Polaroid cameras and 1970s rangefinder cameras like the Minolta Hi Matic 7, Yashica Electro 35 and so on. Nothing too precious, however: Checked out prices of Nikon SPs or Leica 3Gs lately? In free-fall. I think the audience for those high-end products is literally dying off.

Another popular theme seems to be: Embarking on adventures, sharing them with others, and choosing gear which facilitates it. Well, GoPro and REI seem to be doing alright anyway.

padam

There is a finite amount of people using expensive photo gear. And yet more and more stuff comes out. That lowers the demand and quickens the depreciation.

I guess Sony could have postponed the A7R and put the slightly better D810 sensor with the EFCS in there. But with that issue, it is easier to convince people to switch. Same with Fuji and the AF (despite the firmware updates, etc.)

One rule is that it may be easier to sell before the announcement of a new model - but you'll never know when they do that...and you might need it until then :)
The next 'candidate' for that is the A7s. It still sells well, but Sony will probably its main problems (rolling shutter, 4k) while also adding the stabilization and better ergonomics, everyone will want to switch even if it is one a higher price level, so despite the price difference between the two there will be quite a few FS on the market.

V

Vivek

The next 'candidate' for that is the A7s. It still sells well, but Sony will probably its main problems (rolling shutter, 4k) while also adding the stabilization and better ergonomics, everyone will want to switch even if it is one a higher price level, so despite the price difference between the two there will be quite a few FS on the market.
I bought my new A7s for far less than the used prices (FS section here). I want another body for ~<$1100. If a new A7s Mk II will do that, great.

Rolling shutter? Phew! What does it do to stills?

padam

It does affect what one sees in the EVF (tried it, the A7II might be more noisy at night, but also much better in controlling this)
And it does affect the silent mode as well.

V

Vivek

Anything that can help ease the price is welcome! I have a one track mind about certain piece of gear with certain applications in mind. :)

iiiNelson

...I guess Sony could have postponed the A7R and put the slightly better D810 sensor with the EFCS in there. But with that issue, it is easier to convince people to switch. Same with Fuji and the AF (despite the firmware updates, etc.)...
The D810 actually got the slightly better A7R sensor in it (a revision of the D800 sensor) but it was customized to Nikon's specs to have a lower base ISO and tuned for better high ISO response where Sony is optimized for base ISO.

padam

The D810 actually got the slightly better A7R sensor in it (a revision of the D800 sensor) but it was customized to Nikon's specs to have a lower base ISO and tuned for better high ISO response where Sony is optimized for base ISO.
But the D810 does have the option of EFCS.
The question is, did Sony omit that feature to put it on the market as soon as possible, or because now it is so much easier to market the A7RII at a higher price level(and depreciate the A7R more). As far as stills go, that can certainly effect the resolution much more than a few extra megapixels.

It not much different with Leica either, like crippling the M8 with compressed raw or most of their non-M models are quickly becoming obsolete as well (although Sony might have had an effect on that)

algrove

Digital camera bodies are like cars. Drive them around the block and they go down around 25-30% in value.:mad:

So one answer is to keep them longer and skip one or two new body cycles. A new body is not going to make you a better photographer, only a poorer photographer.:lecture:

New lenses seem to be one answer for GAS patients, instead of new bodies. Then again, buying old lenses can also be rewarding as Vivek knows. :D