The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

leica rumours

cam

huge thread elsewhere that you may or may not have read, and now this:

LEICA WILL BE ANNOUNCING SOME NEW PRODUCTS ON THE 20th FEB
SO WATCH THIS SPACE!

any speculations here?

any hints?

:grin:

jonoslack

M8 full frame sensor?
HI Doug
If they brought out an M8 with a full frame sensor 5 months after the M8.2 and upgrades started . . . it would be complete suicide!

But, in reality, it's really really unlikely. They've talked about the R10, the S2 is coming.

I've no idea what they're going to announce (if anything) but I'd be very surprised if it had anything to do with the M series.

How about a V-lux2, based on the G1, with a 4:3 sensor, and a splendid announcement of a number of micro4:3 lenses.:)

Or, more depressingly and more likely, a v-lux2 based on the latest panasonic superzoom camera :(

cam

there has been mention that it is M related, but i know to take gossip with a grain of salt.

some have speculated that it would be dCL. a totally lovely thought.... i'm guessing it's going to be something earth shattering like being able to order your M8.2 a la carte. whoopee! it's still not affordable (especially as i just bought a large chunk of glass).

jonoslack

HI Cam
there has been mention that it is M related, but i know to take gossip with a grain of salt.

some have speculated that it would be dCL. a totally lovely thought.... i'm guessing it's going to be something earth shattering like being able to order your M8.2 a la carte. whoopee! it's still not affordable (especially as i just bought a large chunk of glass).
You mean, you won't EVEN buy one if you can have it black with red leather?

When I bought my first M8, they had an all black M7 with red leather, not my scene at all, but it was a convincing statement!

Engadget seems to be talking a 'hammertone' M8.2 and a fancy C-lux zzzzzzzz.

cam

HI Cam

You mean, you won't EVEN buy one if you can have it black with red leather?

When I bought my first M8, they had an all black M7 with red leather, not my scene at all, but it was a convincing statement!
you know? after walking around all day with a nice inconspicuous lens like the Noctilux for my stealthy street shooting -- what the ****? that just might tip me over the edge! they'd have to get the red right, though. don't want it to clash with my hair :p

jonoslack

you know? after walking around all day with a nice inconspicuous lens like the Noctilux for my stealthy street shooting -- what the ****? that just might tip me over the edge! they'd have to get the red right, though. don't want it to clash with my hair :p
:ROTFL::ROTFL:
Truth to tell . . that's why I no longer have a noctilux, because the moments I wanted to use it, people noticed it.

But I think that a red leather M8 would simply have you written off as a fool, and that's a good scenario to be snapping away.

Your R-D1 is just the most splendid camera design, don't you get lot's of people saying ":wtf: is that" I know I did.

PeterA

The S2 is going to be the most covetted and lusted after DSLR ever made. The pricing will make sure that those who buy it - are too scared to tell anyone -:)

ElvisKennedy

What size is a "Metz 58 sized flash"? I like the size of the SF-24D but don't like it's limitations. I also have a Nikon SB-800 which is really too big for the Leica. A SF-24D sized flash with better electronics (just better exposure control) and a tilt/swivel head would be great.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
What size is a "Metz 58 sized flash"? I like the size of the SF-24D but don't like it's limitations. I also have a Nikon SB-800 which is really too big for the Leica. A SF-24D sized flash with better electronics (just better exposure control) and a tilt/swivel head would be great.
The information available in the LUF post was based on a promotional mailing from a USA dealer. Simple headline indicating new Leica offerings ..no details. Just a slip up in the date of the mailing. We should know 2/20 which is the targeted release date of the approved information. Speculation was that the flash would be larger and have a tilt/swivel capability and be large size like the Metz 58 ...but thats speculation.

Roger

robsteve

Subscriber
It is the dedicated version of their larger size flash. Probably about the same size as your SB-800.

Robert

T

TimF

Hi Glen
Where was that leaked?
Not that I don't believe it, sounds completely convincing (and not even boring).
Yes, I had that confirmed by my dealer earlier this week (he asked me not to say anything, but the cat is well out the bag now anyway). There has been an 18mm viewfinder in Leica's price list since January, so that part at least was expected.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Just wanting to dispel the rumor before it gets out of control...
It is absolutely not true that part of the economic stimulus package (the not very economical and not very stimulating one) in front of the US Congress this week is funding for each of their members to buy a nice Leica M8 kit (the Pork barrel edition)
I wouldn't be surprised, but I can assure you that this rumor is completely false.