The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Trading in all my Leica M gear for a new Leica S

ndwgolf

Recently (6 months ago) I started shooting models (pretty girls) and up until now I have been using my Nikon D800 and 55mm Otus and sometimes have tried to get some nice shots with my Leica M gear but with mixed results. With my Nikon gear I have had some fantastic results which got me thinking about getting a Medium Format camera, as a few of my mates that also shoot models are using MF cameras.

I have been looking at the Hasselblad H5D 50c and the Pentax 645z and quit a few of the MF forum members in the UK and US mentioned the Leica S as a better allrounder as I can not only use it in the Studio but also in the field where I really like to take my models.

Anyway my mate in KL is the owner of the Starhill Leica store and he has a new Leica S with a 70mm Summicron (I think thats what it is) which would be a nice walk around lens and I would also get the 120mm for my portraiture stuff............I would plan to trade in all my M gear.

For those of you that know me on here you will now that I have had a love hate relationship with my M gear and really struggle with the rangefinder due to diminishing eyesight. Anyway when I get home in one weeks time I might be the owner of a new Leica S system:)

Paratom

I am sure you will like the S, the image quality from this system is impressive and the camera handles great.

aDam007

I've just sent you a private msg. But to answer your thread question here goes:

I think the S-006 has great colors, and I think the lenses are unmatched in color reproduction and all the good stuff like bokeh and sharpness. The problem, the camera has similar quirks like any MFD. It's a bit slow, and better suited for landscapes, portraits and mild street photographer. Nothing fast paced. Though it does have the fastest AF I've used in MFD terms. And it's really quite accurate. Also the DSLR like size makes it hand-holdable if you did want to use it for street shooting (I have in LA, and in Singapore, it's great).

M

mjr

Morning

I went from D800's to a S system and agree with the benefits listed above, but for me the single biggest thing that blew me away was the viewfinder. No doubt the Otus on the D800 produces great files but honestly, once you look through the S you will be amazed! For me the Otus was held back by the Nikon focussing screen, I'm someone who likes to shoot with the viewfinder rather than live view, personal preference, with live view obviously there is less issue.

I sold all my Nikon kit within months of buying the S and now use it everywhere for everything, it was amazing at -40 in the Arctic this winter and it is now sitting next to me on a project in Mali, West Africa where I brought the 35, 70 and 180 with me. You may try it and not like it, we all like different things but if you are anything like me then you will absolutely love it.

If you go for it then enjoy and let us know your experiences.

Mat

Mat,

How do you like the 180mm? I have the 35 and 70, and am looking into buying the 180 to fill out the focal lengths. Also, is yours CS? I'm going back and forth about whether I should get the CS model just in case the need arises, although it is a bit heavier.

M

mjr

The 180 is absolutely superb, honestly I was amazed by the subject separation wide open, even for medium format, it's just beautiful. It's heavy for sure but balances nicely on the S and since I bought it around a month ago, I have used it more than the 70 and 35 combined, obviously the field of view needs to fit with what you like but for portraits and landscapes I think it's great. I use strobes in the studio but not so much outside so haven't yet come across a situation where I have needed the cs, I guess it depends what you shoot. Bottom line, great.

Mat