The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica: new CCD sensor almost ready for M9

uhoh7

Leica:
"Since the recognition of a corrosion-related problem on the cover glass of the sensors of the above-mentioned camera models (see information from 10.12.2014), we have been working with our sensor supplier on a long-term technical solution.

The development phase of a new generation of sensors has now nearly been completed. In the next phase, independent users will be testing the new sensor in practical situations to guarantee that the imaging characteristics of the cameras remain unaltered.

After completion and evaluation of this testing phase, we will begin the replacement of corroded sensors by the new-generation sensor.

As the goodwill arrangement for the replacement of affected sensors applies irrespective of the age of the camera, and also to sensors already replaced in the above-mentioned camera models, repairs will continue without interruption until the new sensors are available.
Please understand that sensor replacement can only be offered for cameras affected by the concrete problem and that preventive replacement is not possible."

Latest information on the CCD sensors of the Leica M9 / M9-P / M Monochrom and M-E camera models // 2015 // Global // About Leica News // Leica News // World of Leica - Leica Camera AG

ashwinrao1

Excellent News
This is incredible news, and fantastic service by Leica to refresh a previous-generation sensor. In my mind, this gives new life to those interested in the Leica M9. As many know, I have been a huge fan of what Leica accomplished with the M9 and M Monochrom, and it's so refreshing to see a company invest in its customers in this manner.

D&A

It really instills confidence in investing in such expensive equipment and not only bodes well for current users and or buyers/sellers of M9 or M9M cameras, but for knowing the xonpany stands behinds both its words and products. As I expressed elsewhere, kudo's to Leica for doing this.

Dave (D&A)

barjohn

Where did the article say it was CCD? It just said next generation sensor. It could be CMOS with replaced circuit board couldn't it?

barjohn

Here is what I saw in the article I read: "Leica states that they are currently working on a "new generation of sensors" and "will begin the replacement of corroded sensors by the new-generation sensor".

I thought it was an interesting choice of words in that they did not say a new generation of CCD sensors or a new CCD sensor. It appeared to be intentionally vague. I would think finding a foundry that would make a small run of a new CCD sensor design and the cost to create such a design would not make economic sense. Thus I would see them designing a circuit board that would interface a CMOS sensor into the current design of the M9 electronics as it would be far less expensive and easier to provide going forward. It also then makes sense out of the following quote from the original article:
"The development phase of a new generation of sensors has now nearly been completed. In the next phase, independent users will be testing the new sensor in practical situations to guarantee that the imaging characteristics of the cameras remain unaltered."
If it was CCD would this be necessary? I don't know the answer but I would think not. However, maybe they have gone CCD but it just got lost in the translation.

barjohn

Thanks for the clarification. The other announcement on Leica Rumors seemed vague. From a technical standpoint it would be interesting to understand the issues. Is it the glass cover, bonding adhesive or the silicon wafer itself that is causing the problem?

V

Vivek

Thanks for the clarification. The other announcement on Leica Rumors seemed vague. From a technical standpoint it would be interesting to understand the issues. Is it the glass cover, bonding adhesive or the silicon wafer itself that is causing the problem?
AFAIK, it is the sensor cover glass that exfoliates. They should have done it in the first place. But better late than never.

uhoh7

My meagre understanding: it is both the adhesive and glass cover, combined with the tendency of the sensor to heat when in constant use.

Lictor

This kind of behaviour goes a long way to support Leica prices. That's how a premium company should behave. Kudos

Daniel

doug

For the next goodwill gesture Leica can make an adequate R solution. Been waiting for that a lot longer than M9 owners have.

kuau

Workshop Member
I have my M9 in for service right now in New Jersey, I originally thought I did not have the corrosion issue, yet impound I did when Leica contacted me. Here is what they told me.
First off it will be about 3 months to get my sensor replaced and it will not be with the just announced sensor, ETA undetermined at this point is what they told me. I then asked whether if I have the sensor replaced could I then send my M9 back when the new sensor comes out they had no answer. All I was told is the senor I would be getting will come with a 3 year warranty.
So my takeaway from the whole conversation was they will only replace a sensor if it showing the corrosion issue. One cannot assume that when the new sensor does become available that Leica will replace the sensor for free.

Now for myself I have the difficult decision to make, so I wait 3 months to get my M9 back or take Leica up on there offer to upgrade to a M240 / M-P

seakayaker

I have my M9 in for service right now in New Jersey, I originally thought I did not have the corrosion issue, yet impound I did when Leica contacted me. Here is what they told me.
First off it will be about 3 months to get my sensor replaced and it will not be with the just announced sensor, ETA undetermined at this point is what they told me. I then asked whether if I have the sensor replaced could I then send my M9 back when the new sensor comes out they had no answer. All I was told is the senor I would be getting will come with a 3 year warranty.
So my takeaway from the whole conversation was they will only replace a sensor if it showing the corrosion issue. One cannot assume that when the new sensor does become available that Leica will replace the sensor for free.

Now for myself I have the difficult decision to make, so I wait 3 months to get my M9 back or take Leica up on there offer to upgrade to a M240 / M-P
FWIW, When the service center in New Jersey informed me that they could not provide a date when the sensor would be replaced, after the date they originally provided had passed, I choose to upgrade to the M-P 240. At the time the M9 was 4.5 years old, which I bought used, and the trade in value of $4250.00 towards the M-P was a good deal. The bonus is that the M-P 240 is a fantastic camera.

I did love the M9 and would have kept it if they did replace the sensor on the original date they provided. I just did not want to wait on a repair indefinately and decided it was time to move on.

Good luck with your decision.

D&A

Steven, my understanding is that regardless of how old, Leica is committed to replacing any of the original M9 designed sensors if corrision becomes an issue. So I am a bit perplexed when they said your replacement sensor (which will be of original design) will only come with 3 year warranty. Maybe that means 3 years of something other than corrosion takes place??

Dave (D&A)