The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new lens ... Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4

Godfrey

With all the gaga still going on over the Q, I recall chatting on one thread about the 75mm Summarits. After a bit of back and forth with myself as to whether going with the newer f/2.4 model was worth the premium over the f/2.5 model, never mind a used f/2.5, I decided to just go for the gusto and buy the new f/2.4.

It arrived yesterday. Small, light, fast enough. The aperture is nearly perfectly circular throughout the range. I like how the new lens hood can be reversed and screwed on for storage, and the hood cap works whether in deploy or storage.

I made a few exposures at the cafe this morning while I was waiting for my breakfast buddies to show up.

Leica M-P + Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4
ISO 500 @ f/2.8 @ 1/60 sec

That's an in-camera JPEG, only processing is the border treatment and the sizing.

A lovely lens! I think this completes my Leica M kit other than the MM246 body. :)

G

jonoslack

I'm rather jealous Godfrey - that looks great . . . . . I talked to Peter Karbe about the Summarits - there's clearly a lot of effort gone into the new design changes.
best
Jono

ashwinrao1

I'd love to try this lens, with closer focus and a solid price. That being said, there are used 75 crons in near mint condition sitting around for nearly the price of a new summarit...drats :)...the pain of great choices

Godfrey

I was interested in the 75 focal length as I often find 90 just a hair too long and 50 a bit short. The combination of "fast enough and small enough" with good imaging qualities, along with a semi-reasonable price (currently at B&H it is $1892), sold me. This lens will pair nicely with 35 or 50mm to make for a nice two lens kit (add the 24 for a three...)

G

JohnBrew

Godfrey, good for you. I've been using a 75 2.5 for several years now. There was a comparison of all the 75's and the Summarit didn't give up anything in sharpness. I like to use it as a more stealthy walk about lens - I can get closer to the subject and yet remain more in the bg. I wouldn't sell it.

ashwinrao1

Well, this thread engendered some GAS, and now, a minty/boxed used 75 APO cron is mine, at a cost of $2300...traded in some great, so the wallet beating was minimal :)

Godfrey

The joy of learning a new lens ... always a thrill. I took a walk this morning and met my partner for breakfast at a local place three quarters of a mile from home. It was so nice out, I kept on walking.

I fitted the 75 when I left, stuck the 35 in the bag, and didn't change lenses. This Summarit is simply a wonderful performer, I'm very glad I went for it.

Leica M-P + Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4
ISO 200 @ f/2.8 @ 1/125

enjoy,
G

aDam007

Godfrey - You made a good choice. The minimum focusing distance is worth the price above the earlier version. That's the lens I would have went for personally, but in the other thread I didn't want to sway you one way or another, since lens buying is usually very personal.

I look forward to seeing images from this lens, especially at minimum distances.. I actually use my 75APO under 1m a lot, and even though I liked the rendering of the 75Summarit and the size, I sold it off because I found I would always want to get closer with it, and well I have the APO..

Godfrey

Thanks. I considered the Summicron briefly, but I didn't want to spend over $2000.
I get those occasional pangs of focus irritation with the 1972 'Lux 35 v2 ... It's got a 1m close focus limit. And then I ignore it because I like the lens so much otherwise.

From what I'm seeing out of this morning's walk, the Summarit 75/2.4 is going to work out just fine. :)

G

jonoslack

Well, this thread engendered some GAS, and now, a minty/boxed used 75 APO cron is mine, at a cost of $2300...traded in some great, so the wallet beating was minimal :)
My 75 APO 'cron is certainly not 'minty' - even though it's had a new lens shade attached (2 years ago) and the markings repainted this year. It's my most used M lens by some distance - I hope you like yours as much Ashwin