The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pulled the trigger on an Elmarit 28mm ASPH f2.8 tonight

silver92b

I've been fascinated by the new Leica Q and I wondered what it would be like to shoot exclusively with a 28mm lens.. Can't justify the cost of the Q but since I've been wanting a 28mm lens, I figure the M with the 28mm might give me a good feeling of what shooting with the Q might be.

Anyway, I found myself shooting a lot with the 35 'cron during a trip to Victoria, and when I changed lenses it was to shoot the CV 15mm F4.5 which is a good little lens, but the magenta fringe ruins it for color shots. Of course, the 15mm is super wide while the 28mm is not nearly as wide. The reviews for the Elmarit 28mm ASPH are very good. I though about buying the Zeiss 28mm f2.8, but for about $800 more I snagged the Elmarit 28mm, a demo unit from Adorama :thumbs: Now to wait for delivery :grin:

turtle

A gem of a lens that got a bad rap from some due to its crisp look, but probably my favourite Leica all round lens. Tiny and relatively affordable too and IMHO you are much better off with the asph on digital M bodies vs the Zeiss ZM (I have both). The latter is in some ways gentler but the outer field performance is much weaker if that matters to you.

aDam007

I find the 28 Elmarit-ASPH to be an awesome lens.
Coming from someone who's used the Q and the 28Cron a LOT.

In fact, I always have a good time with the little 28 Elmarit-asph. You made a good choice going with it.
Something a little wider BTW that would also work well, and would have the color, contrast and vibrancy would be the 21SEM. But honestly that little 28 Elmarit-asph is hard to not like.

Enjoy it!

silver92b

Thanks for the reassurance. My only doubt was whether I was spending too much money for the Leica name. I have had the Zeiss 50mm Planar and still have the 35mm f2.8 Biogon. Great lenses both except for the lack of the 6 bit coding.. I tried the DIY coding but my M240 just will not recognize it.. It works perfectly with the 50mm 'lux and the 35mm 'cron with the Leica coding, but won't recognize my own (repeated) efforts to paint the coding.

This is one reason why I bought the Elmarit, plus the fact that I really enjoy owning the Leica lenses, and in reality they are a much better investment. It's easier to get more $$ back when you sell good Leica glass than to sell most other lenses regardless of how good they are.

Also, like I said before, I find myself shooting the 35mm FL a lot more than the 50mm and reaching for the CV 15mm a lot. I hope the 28mm hits the sweet spot for my needs much of the time. I can't wait to get my hands on it to try it out. I have seen the photos in Thorsten Overgaard's page that he shot with the Q and its 28mm lens, and they are awesome. Of course, I need to work on my technique and composition skills to get more shots like that :cool:, but I believe that the proper tools are very important too :thumbup:

aDam007

Zeiss ZM 21/2.8 25, 28 are good lenses.. But I still favour the pop of the 21SEM, 28Elmarit-asph to even my 21Lux and 28Cron.