The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New camera system from Leica ?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For me, if it is more than €5000.- with the 28-90 "kit" lens, then I am out of the game - definitely!

V

Vivek

Body price SHOULD be in the $2500-4000 range IMO. This camera will compete more with the A7II more than the A7RII. The lenses should be in the $1000-3500 range. Much more than that and most (outside the Leica faithful) will most likely ignore it.
$2500 would be reasonable in comparison to the A7II. But it will not happen.

Godfrey

R Lenses got a new life and appreciation thanks to the Sony A7R and now the A7RII.
I thought that might be the case, which is the reason I bought an A7 to experiment with. And the A7 sensor did a reasonable job with most Leica R lenses, if not as good as I'd hoped with the Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8. But I found the Sony A7 camera just too clunky to like. After trying for the better part of a year and some to get used to it, I gave up and sold it. Never even wanted to touch the Sony E-mount lenses; one test in the store and I didn't like the ones I touched at all.

I decided to expand my Nikon SLR system. After playing with an F6 for a bit, adding a few lenses, and adding the D750 body, I'm delighted.

I'd planned to sell off all the Leica R gear ... two Leicaflex SL bodies, R8 body, ten lenses ... But I made the mistake of taking out the black SL and fitting the Summicron-R 90mm to it over the weekend. Can't bear to part with it ... I'll keep that body along with four lenses (19/2.8, 50/1.4, 90/2, 180/4). The rest will go.

I could equip a couple of my R lenses with Leitax Nikon mounts, but why reduce the functionality of these lovely lenses just to use them on a Nikon body? I'm perfectly happy using them to shoot on film. And I love the simplicity*and ergonomics of the Leicaflex SL body.

The new Leica SL .... I look forward to seeing exactly what it is when Leica formally announces it, then how it works, and with what lenses, etc. I'm tired of the hamster-wheel rumor speculation.

G

The camera I've been carrying most the past few weeks is a Polaroid SX-70. :angel:

Knorp

Correction: the article speculates that the camera with lens could list at three times the street price of a new Sony without lens. Leica lenses are never cheap, so the body alone might only be slightly more expensive than a Sony body.
Bernard, you're right of course.
Still, the SL with native lens makes for a steep entry fee into this new system.
Hopefully there will be adapters for M and/or R-glass.
Then it remains to be seen how it holds its ground in terms of IQ against the M-system.

Me ? I'm optimistic ... :)

Godfrey, are you sure this is a good time to sell R lenses? Some of them are Dr Mandler's finest achievements. IMO they render more pleasing images than any newer, more 'clinical' designs.

If I had 11 I'd keep every single one, in anticipation of newer mirrorless bodies – from Leica, if not Sony – that will let them display their fine rendering of tones.

I agree the A7 was clunky to use by hand, but now I can conveniently use the RII on a tripod. I'm more than pleased with 'middle aged' Leica and Contax SLR glass, particularly in the upper midrange and highlight zones.

Kirk

Godfrey

I'm in no rush, the R equipment isn't going anywhere for at least a few months. But I am trying to off-load some of the excess around here.

I can always change my mind... and often do. :)

Have to say, few cameras have ever been made that were as beautiful and as nice in the hand as a Leicaflex SL. Whomever did the body design did very well.

G

Paratom

I'm in no rush, the R equipment isn't going anywhere for at least a few months. But I am trying to off-load some of the excess around here.

I can always change my mind... and often do. :)

Have to say, few cameras have ever been made that were as beautiful and as nice in the hand as a Leicaflex SL. Whomever did the body design did very well.

G
How do you think would the new Leica SL fit in between your Nikon equipment and your Leica X (don't remember if you still own M?)
The more options popping up the more I get confused and lost.

doug

If a modern sensor could be put in a Leicaflex SL I'd be more than happy.

Godfrey

How do you think would the new Leica SL fit in between your Nikon equipment and your Leica X (don't remember if you still own M?)
The more options popping up the more I get confused and lost.
I'm quite happy with the M-P and D750 as my systems base, with the X for more casual use. The R system is kind of a hanger on ... If the new SL has some grand advantage, or if it provides a suitably useful R lens body, I could see trying one out. But it would have to be extremely compelling to be worth spending the money for. As said, I'd already planned to off the R kit, and at present all I intend to keep is a small set of lenses and an SL body for nostalgia's sake.

G