The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where's Jono?

jonoslack

Its a great walking destination. Enjoy! Oh, and pay attention to the plane landing at the airport..... interesting location

Mike
Well, what a weird place! Funchal seemed to me to be an 'ex pat hellhole' but the market was pretty good fun and we did have the only half decent meal there . . .
We were staying at the western end of the island and we had a lovely place to stay, out on it's own on a promontory 500m above the sea with it's own pool . . the Levada walks were great . . but the top of the island was perpetually shrouded in cloud . . we managed to sunbathe by the pool one day, but mostly the temperature was about 12 C (brrrr) and although I went in the unheated pool every day, I'm certain that wasn't more than 14 C. . . . we eat out a few times, but the food really was dreadful, scabbard fish was little better than pollock, and whoever thought of eating it with banana needs to be shot . . . but the fact that the menu was the same everywhere, and the food was cooked without any imagination was the real problem.

So, basically, our place was great, the walks were fine, but the rest :facesmack:

(mind you, we had a lovely time :eek: )

jonoslack

This is where we were staying

W0115656.jpg
View from above the road

W0115617.jpg
Emma is queen of her new domain (but it keeps raining!)

W0115618.jpg
On a stormy afternoon

All shot with the M-P​

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike Woods

Welcome back, Jono. Yes, definitely a weird place, but hope you made some nice images with whatever kit you used :)

Off to Tenerife Thursday for some relaxation.

Best wishes

Mike

jonoslack

Welcome back, Jono. Yes, definitely a weird place, but hope you made some nice images with whatever kit you used :)

Off to Tenerife Thursday for some relaxation.

Best wishes

Mike
Have a lovely time (never been there). . I hope it's warmer than 12 C!

^Think it should be around +20-24C in the canary islands. They have pretty stable weather through the year..

Never been to Madeira, but did visit the main island of Azores some 10 years ago. It should be similar to Madeira just little less crowdy. They had just started regular tourist trips there some 6 months earlier and only from the nordic countries back then. Weather wasn't too hot even in june.. some rainy days too!

Luckily our food experience was quite different. Had some of the best steaks I've ever had. Turned out they have more cows than people at Azores, which would explain their meat handling skills. And they were also growing pineapples there and it's the only place in Europe to grow tea!

Interesting place.

D&A

This is where we were staying

View attachment 122709
View from above the road

View attachment 122711
Emma is queen of her new domain (but it keeps raining!)

View attachment 122710
On a stormy afternoon

All shot with the M-P​

Welcome back Jono. Lovely images as usual although I can feel the chill in the air as you described your travel expereinces.

Oh by the way, I assume "All shot with the M-P" was a typo....you meant the M11, didn't you? :).

Dave (D&A)​

jonoslack

Welcome back Jono. Lovely images as usual although I can feel the chill in the air as you described your travel expereinces.

Oh by the way, I assume "All shot with the M-P" was a typo....you meant the M11, didn't you? :).

Dave (D&A)
My typing is pretty catastrophic Dave, but even I can't type M-P instead of M11! (anyway, Leica Rumors say it's going to be called the M10)

:)

D&A

My typing is pretty catastrophic Dave, but even I can't type M-P instead of M11! (anyway, Leica Rumors say it's going to be called the M10)

:)
Oh is that what you clandestinly told them? LOL! M11, shows how little I know :)

Dave (D&A)

Mike Woods

Have a lovely time (never been there). . I hope it's warmer than 12 C!
Well....first day.....hire car broken into while I was spitting distance away. Lost camera bag, and Zeiss 21, Noct 0.95 and 75 summicron , passport and a bunch of other stuff. Happy holidays.....
No serial numbers available to post.
Mike

Knorp

Oh dear, that's just awful, Mike :cry:
Can't you mobilise the home front to send you the serials ?
Hope you got something left to get at least some snaps.
Take care and all the best.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
SO sorry to hear of your loss ... not just the hassle with insurance but the sense of violation.

Hope that you can find a space to enjoy your vacation.

Stay safe ... I tried to find serial numbers off of you posts but they as JPGs are
devoid of any meta data to allow that.

I assume there is an embassy on island to help with the passport loss?

Bob

Mike Woods

Thanks for the kind words. Violation is a good way of putting it. Still have the M and a 35, but not really in the mood to use them at the moment.
Just waiting to hear what documentation the airline require, and at least I have a week to sort it. This is more stressful than work :banghead:
Mike

Knorp

So sorry, Mike.
Two years after my whole shebang was stolen from my home, I still feel the anger and frustration. Not mentioning the stress ...
I can tell you, that feeling is only wearing off ever so slightly ...

Still, try to make the best of your remaining holidays.
Your stuff is valuable, but so is your health.

Kind regards.

pegelli

So sorry Mike, to you it's more valuable then what it's worth financially and the crooks might sell it for 10 cents on the dollar. It's just not fair!

I know what you're going through, happened to me many years ago when my total Leica R3 kit was stolen on the day before last on our vacation in Greece, including my 8 rolls of exposed slide film.
After ~40 years the loss of the equipment wore off, but sometimes I still get angry and frustrated about the loss of all my memories on the film.

I hope you get all the paperwork sorted and can enjoy the remaining bit of your vacation.

scott kirkpatrick

Sorry to hear about the theft. I had one, but got off really easy -- I was out of the country, taking all Leica gear with us, but leaving my Olympus E-1, E3 and a full set of lenses behind, conveniently packed in a bag for swift burglar removal. Home insurance covered them, and I didn't look back. Didn't lose any images. I even lost an X-Pan, purchased from Michael Reichman, which had never worked properly. Got a better one later. No moral, but I put things away more subtly when travelling now.

scott

scott kirkpatrick

Returning to the theme of "Where's Jono?" as a means of communication with him for those who can't bear Facebook --

Jono, I get a sense that you have returned to the rangefinder M's for any walking about sorts of picture-taking, reserving the massive SL with its AF for events, weddings, dogshows, pink lady stuff and all that. Is that right? Is your M mode of operation one M one lens for the day?

scott