The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where's Jono?

rayyan

That is awful Mike!! What a terrible material loss. Glad you are safe. That is the main thing. Really hope you can sort out the bureaucratic issues.

Awful. That is the non swear word I can use here.

Godfrey

Welcome back, Jono! Sounds like an adventure: "a bad time that improves in the telling." :toocool:

Ach, my sympathies Mike! Sorry to hear of the theft...that's really crappy.

...Rumors of the "M10": Although why they'd call it the M10 vs the M13 (typ 240 being M10, typ 246 being M11, typ 262 being M12... LOL!!) is beyond me. It's this number proliferation that they were likely trying to minimize, but it's only expanded...same as with other manufacturers and products.

I'm glad that Leica isn't sitting still, but it will take a huge step in some direction for me to buy another M body in the near future. I'm absolutely delighted with the M-D: it's become my favorite M and my favorite camera, backed up by the SL for when I need greater versatility and more comprehensive features. I can see myself enjoying both of them for years to come.

G

Mike Woods

Thanks again for the nice words, it's a nice forum isn't it :)
Went back to almost the same place, parked the car (removing all valuables....) and went for a 10 minute stroll. Came back to find two burly guys checking out cars, one with a large metal bar. Fortunately they drove off when they saw me (I'm not very good when faced with metal bars) but I got good descriptions and their car registration. Different people to the ones that I succumbed to the previous day....
Reported to the police with whom I'm on first name terms. Hopefully it helped someone who suffered the same as me.
Mike

Mike, where in Tenerife did this happen?

Feels so strange to hear these kinds of things happening. Been to Tenerife twice and several times elsewhere in Spain and no problems with criminals what so ever. Guess I've just been lucky.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your bad luck. Hope some freak of nature happens and the ba**ards get caught!

After all, Noctilux is not something that would be easy to "fence" in canary islands.

Mike Woods

Mike, where in Tenerife did this happen?

Feels so strange to hear these kinds of things happening. Been to Tenerife twice and several times elsewhere in Spain and no problems with criminals what so ever. Guess I've just been lucky.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your bad luck. Hope some freak of nature happens and the ba**ards get caught!

After all, Noctilux is not something that would be easy to "fence" in canary islands.
Sorry for delay. Both the incidents I described were on the TF21 and TF38 around del Teide.

Last edited:
Sorry for delay. Both the incidents I described were on the TF21 and TF38 around del Tide.
I guess they're stalking for cars when ppl are sightseeing.. that's horrible. We visited Teide both times when we were in Tenerife. But now that I think of it, we were weren't in situations where this could have happened. Only time we left the car alone was by the cable car and then we had the valuables (cameras) with us.

Would assume, thinking of the big picture, that local police is doing everything they can. From the sounds of it, it's a organised theft and that is very bad for tourism.

Going to Gran Canaria end of march. I'll keep this in mind and keep extra good care of our stuff..

Mike Woods

Yes, definitely got the impression it was well organised and commonplace. The British Consulate who provided my emergency travel document had a number of recent, similar examples.

Take care in Gran Canaria. Im in Fuerteventura in February and will be very wary.

Noctilux serial number: 04240619

Mike

jonoslack

Returning to the theme of "Where's Jono?" as a means of communication with him for those who can't bear Facebook --

Jono, I get a sense that you have returned to the rangefinder M's for any walking about sorts of picture-taking, reserving the massive SL with its AF for events, weddings, dogshows, pink lady stuff and all that. Is that right? Is your M mode of operation one M one lens for the day?

scott
Hi There Scott
Sorry not to be in more constant attendance (and especially to Mike Woods for not seeing his anguish). . .
I guess the truth is the I do tend to use the SL for the pink lady stuff (no weddings at the moment!) But for people shots generally I'd prefer to use the M, and for walking about with the dogs I'm pretty agnostic, some days I'll take an M, other days I fancy something with close focus and a zoom (either the SL or the OMD).

KeithL

My insurance only covers me for a maximum £1,000 loss from a car and then only in a locked boot. Consequently the only thing ever left in the boot is my tripod.

Paratom

Hi There Scott
Sorry not to be in more constant attendance (and especially to Mike Woods for not seeing his anguish). . .
I guess the truth is the I do tend to use the SL for the pink lady stuff (no weddings at the moment!) But for people shots generally I'd prefer to use the M, and for walking about with the dogs I'm pretty agnostic, some days I'll take an M, other days I fancy something with close focus and a zoom (either the SL or the OMD).
2 weeks ago I was considering selling my SL system. But last week I shot a sports even of the kids with the 90-280, I also took some movies, plus some shots with the Nocti 1.0 (which I dont seem to focus accurate on the M)...and came to the clear conclusion that I will keep the SL.
The lenses are big, but they are als ver good.
The viewfinder, for an EVF, is large and excellent and the camera is very responsive.
I love the M with a 28/35 or 50 mm lens, but for some things the SL is a very good addition to the M (Tele, action, exotic lenses)

scott kirkpatrick

According to Facebook, right now he's at the Leica store in Wetzlar, where the signs on the wall indicate a show honoring Joel Meyerowitz, for whom "carrying a Leica is like a free pass for the unexpected!" You don't suppose there is something happening there?

scott

GMB

Have a look here. There is a photo of (not by) Jono. There are also a few other who were looking for Jono :D. Just wonder what they want and when we see a new report by Jono.

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Where's Sean?

Sean Reid is not in Wetzlar tonight, but he just posted his M10 review (for those with a subscription). If you have a retina display or big screen, he now has a version that supplies higher resolution pictures.

scott