The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Loving my new M-P

kuau

Workshop Member
Just got my M-P in chrome from Leica the other day. I decided to give up my M9 with corrosion on the sensor and opted for there M upgrade program.

I think I made the correct choice for myself.
Hope to be posting some new pics taken with it soon.

Look out Ashwin and Jono.. Just kidding. :D

I know all the hype right now is with Sony, and that's cool, yet even though I still have an A7R and a few Zeiss Loxia lenses, I have zero pride of ownership like I do with my Leica. So glad I decided to get back in the Leica camp...

jonoslack

Congratulations Steven
I know how you feel, and the chrome M-P is just a lovely thing.
. . . . it takes decent pictures too!

All the best
Jono

Godfrey

Congrats, Steven!

I did the same a few months back. I'm much happier with the M-P than I was with the M9; it's simply a better performing camera in every way that counts to me.

Enjoy it!

G

J

JohnW

....I know all the hype right now is with Sony, and that's cool, yet even though I still have an A7R and a few Zeiss Loxia lenses, I have zero pride of ownership like I do with my Leica. So glad I decided to get back in the Leica camp...
Nicely stated. Having just moved back to Leica (MM) after several years of other brands, I completely relate to this. There are a couple functions I really miss, but Ms are so elemental and comfortable, it all just feels like photography should feel.

John

Duane Pandorf

Just got my M-P in chrome from Leica the other day. I decided to give up my M9 with corrosion on the sensor and opted for there M upgrade program.

I know all the hype right now is with Sony, and that's cool, yet even though I still have an A7R and a few Zeiss Loxia lenses, I have zero pride of ownership like I do with my Leica. So glad I decided to get back in the Leica camp...
Did you send your Leica M9 to the US New Jersey service center? And if so, how long did it take once they had it for them to give you the option to upgrade?

Thanks,

kuau

Workshop Member
Did you send your Leica M9 to the US New Jersey service center? And if so, how long did it take once they had it for them to give you the option to upgrade?

Thanks,
When I sent my M9 in for what I thought was only go to be a CLA service, I was contacted a few days after Leica USA received my M9 and broke the news to me that I indeed had sensor corrosion though I never noticed it.

Anyway they told me it would take anywhere between 3-4 months to have the sensor replaced and not with the newly announced sensor. They then offered me the upgrade path.
$3500 for a new M240 or $3750 for a new M-P.
I thought it about it for about 3 weeks before I finally made the decision to go for the M-P.

Steven

ashwinrao1

Steven, great to hear from you. I am so excited for you to return to the fray. I remember a few years ago when you were deciding between systems. We all go through it. I almost always return to Leica (currently enjoying the M246 and Q). I feel that with these 2 cameras, and whatever else may come (the rumor mill has been swirling), Leica has gotten exciting again. I am glad that you are back and enjoying the journey again!

kuau

Workshop Member
Steven, great to hear from you. I am so excited for you to return to the fray. I remember a few years ago when you were deciding between systems. We all go through it. I almost always return to Leica (currently enjoying the M246 and Q). I feel that with these 2 cameras, and whatever else may come (the rumor mill has been swirling), Leica has gotten exciting again. I am glad that you are back and enjoying the journey again!
Ashwin,

Yep I decided to go old school and just stick with it. I figured that all this new stuff coming out, Sony A7RII, etc. at the end of the day will not improve on my photography skills at all.
G.A.S is one thing and we have all been there though as I get older I am appreciating the simpler thing in life, like old school rock and roll, guitar, bass, keyboard's and drums. Keep it simple.

Time to go back to the basics and Leica for me is it for now. If i can master my M-P maybe at some point I will upgrade to the latest whatever it will be, but until then, I'm going to enjoy my M-P and oh yeah and my medium format kit which is old school Hasselblad 203FE and a Hasselblad CFV 39MP back. That's it.

I still have my A7R and the 2 Loxia lenses which are IMHO awesome lenses, though not getting much use at all...

Go Hawks !!!!!

Steven

D&A

TRAITOR! ( From official member of the Leica M9 Legacy Historical Society).

Dave (D&A)

P.S. ...( let me know when you're ready to upgrade and sell me your M-P)) Other than thoughts of Benedict Arnold, really good to have you back in the Leica fold and posting here. Old School=Good School) :)

Last edited:
I too am looking to reenter the Leica fold.

I'm using Fuji about 80% of the time including work, but there's something that brings me back here.

i'm trying to figure out which one! Too many options now!

Hulyss Bowman

Yea the Chrome MP is a little beautiful gem :)

Here is my Mom's MP with 1.4 35 Lux ASPH and 1.4 50 Lux ASPH (In chrome ofc).

Merry Christmas !

Last edited:

Godfrey

Ten months on, and I like the M-P as much as I've ever liked an M camera ... and that is a lot. For me, it is perfect with 35, 50, and 75 mm lenses. Mine is black, which I prefer—but if a Bordeaux Red leather body covering with all the exposed metal in black had been available, I would likely have found it nearly irresistible.
:)

The M is always an excellent complement to my main line camera, which has always been a TTL viewing camera (SLR or electronic) since 1969. I wouldn't want to be without either. At various times, one has been more important to me than the other, that's all.

G