The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shooting the CV15mm f4.5 III with M240

silver92b

I had the previous version of the Voigtlander 15mm Super Wife Heliar lens and I really liked shooting with it. It was perfect in B&W but the magenta fringing made it unsuitable for color shooting (unless I cropped the offending sides). Anyway, I sold it but I missed it and after vacillating for a couple of months I decided night before last to pull the trigger on the latest one.

It came in today, the lens feels very nice and substantial like all CV offerings. The build quality is quite nice too. It's definitely longer and heavier than the version II but that's to be expected with the redesign to correct the CA and fringing.
Anyway, I got it in the mail today and immediately took a few trial shots with it. I'm happy to report that the CA and fringing are indeed corrected. These are some quick shots and only for initial quick evaluation. Still, I think I'm going to enjoy this lens very much.

uhoh7

When you have a chance get up on a hill over the town and shoot some infinity landscapes with distant details across the frame and distant foreground as well. That's the only way to really see how it does on the edges and corners. :)

Meant to be really excellent, but I still wonder if it's in the league of the ZM 18 and SEM 21.

silver92b

When you have a chance get up on a hill over the town and shoot some infinity landscapes with distant details across the frame and distant foreground as well. That's the only way to really see how it does on the edges and corners. :)

Meant to be really excellent, but I still wonder if it's in the league of the ZM 18 and SEM 21.
I'll have to go out and take some shots of distant landscapes to see how it does. I can tell already that it's leagues ahead of the previous version as far as the edges and corners (although lens falloff is very easy to correct). I cannot tell how it compares with the ZM 18 and SEM 21 as far as IQ or CA because I don't have those to try :(. But it's definitely quite wider in FOV... The previous version was actually extremely good for IQ and sharpness. It definitely got some stellar reviews from Ken Rockwell for shooting with film where the side and corner issues were nonexistent.

jrp

For the £$€, it's a 0-brainer. At f5.6 all these lenses are getting close to out-resolving the sensor, so you are really paying for edge, or even corner, performance at the widest apertures which, in my case, is not an important factor for such wide-angle lenses, which I will tend to use on a (v small) trip, if needed.

I suspect that, once you get past 24mm, the wider the better. So you should really be comparing the 15mm to the 12mm, rather than 18mm or 21mm.

silver92b

Seriously... at first I thought the Super Wife was one that would let you buy a new lens.
Oh, I see.... I guess I have a Super Wife then :thumbs: Or maybe she does not pay enough attention to my camera spending habits :grin:. Seriously though, my wife is very understanding of my photography hobby. Even when I went to the Leica side of things.....

Anyway, here are some more shots I just did today at the cemetery. I think this is what uhoh7 was talking about. I tried to not compress the images too much.