The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New S starts shipping

jonoslack

So Jono,

Since you have the ear of those who control the Magisterium in Solms perhaps you can pass on the following.ts look minor.
That Doesn't sound good, and I'm Sure you did right to send it back. I'll do what I can, but my contacts aren't really on the customer service side

I think I will go with the Q based on your review.
The devil and the deep blue sea I'd say! The Q is a great camera though, and splendidly fulfils my mate Neil's definition of good technology: "not irritating"

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
That Doesn't sound good, and I'm Sure you did right to send it back. I'll do what I can, but my contacts aren't really on the customer service side

The devil and the deep blue sea I'd say! The Q is a great camera though, and splendidly fulfils my mate Neil's definition of good technology: "not irritating"
I talked with my dealer today ... still hoping to resolve this as the system is so strong when everything is working. I have files that are unapproachable by
all the other cameras I have used.

See how it all works out ... S006 S007 M246 or Q ... now the new Q rumored sounds like it may be ideal for us old eye guys.

Bob

fotografz

I talked with my dealer today ... still hoping to resolve this as the system is so strong when everything is working. I have files that are unapproachable by
all the other cameras I have used.

See how it all works out ... S006 S007 M246 or Q ... now the new Q rumored sounds like it may be ideal for us old eye guys.

Bob
Bob, I've had my share of trials and tribulations with the S system also … including more than one lens that suddenly stopped auto focussing. I've stuck with it because I share your impressions of its' strengths "when it is working", and the files themselves which are unmatchable. Fortunately, Leica USA service has been reasonably responsive, and my impatience has been tempered by the mellowness of aging:)

I do not share the deep desire that the body be in-line with every technological advancement made by other manufacturers … at least not for the way I use such a camera. The S remains my most used kit because it remains the most versatile system available due to the dual shutter in a DSLR form. That the super excellent lenses are such fast maximum aperture doesn't hurt either … one not need use them wide open to realize the gain … things like f/2 or 2.5 make for the very bright optical viewfinder the S is known for:thumbup:

Now that the S(007) price is a bit more reasonable, I'll be watching for the file qualities of this CMOS based S and have started squirreling away the funds in case I decide to get one. I'm hoping to pull it off without selling my S(006) which I use in studio at ISO 100 most of the time anyway.

- Marc

jonoslack

Hi Bob
Well, I have no terms of reference, but I thought the files from 007 were completely delicious, and at it's current price I can't really see a good reason for getting the 006 . . . . but never having shot with an 006 it's hard to be sure!

All the best
Jono

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

(...)
they really aught to grow up and find a way to make at least one product for professionals affordably. (...)

(...) Why they don't seem to want professionals (who are largely budget conscious as of late) using their equipment is beyond me. (...)

I don't think it's very likely (though I used to share your hopes when I was waiting for the R10 that never materialized).

"Prestigious luxury" is a deliberate business model, and it doesn't go all that well together with "affordable". We can't have both at the same time.

Which is why the key word in the below illustration is the word "promises" .-)

crop of a screendump from: overgaard dot dk

I don't think it's very likely (though I used to share your hopes when I was waiting for the R10 that never materialized).

"Prestigious luxury" is a deliberate business model, and it doesn't go all that well together with "affordable". We can't have both at the same time.

Which is why the key word in the below illustration is the word "promises" .-)

crop of a screendump from: overgaard dot dk

Yeah, I know that's what they've been going for. It's a huge bummer too. I might describe a 5k iMac as a 'luxury' desktop computer, and an iPhone as a 'luxury' smart phone in some ways, but they're at least affordable for a middle class person who stretches their budget. Leica stuff is just outta the sphere of rational thought. The Q is expensive but used I could justify it, and with the recent $8k price drop on the S, and the perpetual discounts on M lenses, I am HOPING they want to dip the tinyest of toes into the "99%" market. :banghead: I'm getting tired of wating for Fuji to make a FF X100. They seem happy to live in perpetual mediocracy.

fotografz

Yeah, I know that's what they've been going for. It's a huge bummer too. I might describe a 5k iMac as a 'luxury' desktop computer, and an iPhone as a 'luxury' smart phone in some ways, but they're at least affordable for a middle class person who stretches their budget. Leica stuff is just outta the sphere of rational thought. The Q is expensive but used I could justify it, and with the recent $8k price drop on the S, and the perpetual discounts on M lenses, I am HOPING they want to dip the tinyest of toes into the "99%" market. :banghead: I'm getting tired of wating for Fuji to make a FF X100. They seem happy to live in perpetual mediocracy.
"Rational Thought" is a relative term. How one perceives the value of any product is directly related to our needs/desires and to one's ability to pay for it. Either you can afford your "wants and gimmes", or you can't … OR, you place a priority on it and forego other items you may want or need. I was once in the former group and worked with two Leica M9s and two Hasselblad H cameras and most all of the lenses. After retiring, I slid into the latter group … so if I want the new S I'll have to forego other desires.

I think there are too many relatively reasonably priced high-performance cameras like the D810, Canon 5D-III, and Sony A7R-II with new lenses coming to the forefront for Leica to compete with on price … or if they do try, it'll only be because of a more affordable red dot prestige rather than any real world performance advantage that would last longer than 6 months.

I honestly do not think Leica is for those addicted to relentless techno-change. Personally, I evaluate each equipment choice as it relates to my day-to-day needs and ways of making photographs … not everyone else's, or some new laundry list of tech stuff that I don't actually need. If it fits me, it probably will fit me for a good while. I prefer a rangefinder for most "of the moment work" which is primarily B&W … and my MM fits that today as well as it did when I got it some years ago. Same for the S system which replaced the Hasselblads after I stopped doing so much commercial work tethered to a computer. These days, I do not need a new S(007), but may want it because my shooting has migrated to other interests where the (007) may fit better. However, the driving reason for having the S at all remains the same as the day I first got an S2P years ago … superb, fast aperture MF lenses with central shutters … and a dual card, dual shutter DSLR type camera. To this day, it stands alone in fitting my needs. Nothing else is even a consideration.

- Marc