The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New S starts shipping

That is an extremely sensible price drop. Contrary to the actual performance of the camera and lenses, this system doesn't sell well (and yes I have seen #s). It's way too expensive! I think this system's strength comes from it's shootability in handheld situations. It sorta reminds of a Mamiya 7 even though it's an SLR. It's smaller than competitors and wouldn't be that different from a 5D in terms of shooting style.

I really hope to see some aggressive pricing from Leica in their other lines. Hopefully this new rumored FF mirrorless will be affordable for your average wedding photographer like me. If it performs like the Q and costs less than the M, I might be in..

baudolino

Good news, I am definitely getting one even though my S2 is still working fine. The high ISO capability should be a game changer. I am just hoping that Leica have spent their "extended pre-launch time" not just fixing the video function but also making sure that colours are at least as good as those that come out of the S2/S006.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Speedgraphic;656654 I really hope to see some aggressive pricing from Leica in their other lines. Hopefully this new rumored FF mirrorless will be affordable for your average wedding photographer like me. If it performs like the Q and costs less than the M said:
Agressive pricing for a new FF mirrorless Leica system would also put me back into their game again. There is hope ....

jonoslack

Good news, I am definitely getting one even though my S2 is still working fine. The high ISO capability should be a game changer. I am just hoping that Leica have spent their "extended pre-launch time" not just fixing the video function but also making sure that colours are at least as good as those that come out of the S2/S006.
Well, I think the colours are fantastic - But I've not used an S2/006, so I'm slightly at a disadvantage. The high ISO and DR is definitely a game changer, I've been shooting with it since early July, and the files, DR and responsiveness are really knockout.

jonoslack

Agressive pricing for a new FF mirrorless Leica system would also put me back into their game again. There is hope ....
Hmm - Well Peter, I'm not sure that a small German company is ever going to be in a position to manage aggressive pricing for equipment manufactured in Germany - compared to companies who manufacture in Thailand/Vietnam/China or even Japan. It's like asking Porsche to make a car competitive with Toyota prices - nice idea, but it isn't going to happen (unless they also make it in the far East).

V

Vivek

Hmm - Well Peter, I'm not sure that a small German company is ever going to be in a position to manage aggressive pricing for equipment manufactured in Germany - compared to companies who manufacture in Thailand/Vietnam/China or even Japan. It's like asking Porsche to make a car competitive with Toyota prices - nice idea, but it isn't going to happen (unless they also make it in the far East).
It could be realistic though. If they concentrate on the essentials and stop polishing a metal block for the looks, it may even be possible.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Well, I think the colours are fantastic - But I've not used an S2/006, so I'm slightly at a disadvantage. The high ISO and DR is definitely a game changer, I've been shooting with it since early July, and the files, DR and responsiveness are really knockout.
So Jono,

Since you have the ear of those who control the Magisterium in Solms perhaps you can pass on the following.

I purchased one of the last S006 cameras ... last week . It was delivered to me this past weekend with a new unopened 70 2.5 Asph lens ... with older firmware. The camera suggested a FW upgrade which went without problem... then:

After about 8 shots the lens quit autofocusing ... had the dreaded whirring infinitum sound without any focus movement in AF.

I started with a S2-P, moved to a S 006 and returned to the same only to find that with an end of product 2nd generation S and one of the first lenses offered in the system Leica cannot get QC right.

North of 13K and the lens will not AF ... there are numerous examples of this on REDDOTFORUM S lens threads ... recently.

Rather than enter the dreaded off to Solms vortex for an extended period I sent the whole kit back .... this makes the A7RII complaints look minor.

There is something wrong with the AF system of the S lenses and until it is aired and addressed I will not be back.

Otherwise a good system with great lens element but at this point poor execution.

I think I will go with the Q based on your review.

kimyeesan

Hi, Is it possible for me to obtain a DNG to see the quality of the file? I am really interested in the S007. I currently own a S006 and 4 lens. It's my Second S006 (I left S to move to Alpa and digital back, and now I am back again).

aDam007

So Jono,

Since you have the ear of those who control the Magisterium in Solms perhaps you can pass on the following.

I purchased one of the last S006 cameras ... last week . It was delivered to me this past weekend with a new unopened 70 2.5 Asph lens ... with older firmware. The camera suggested a FW upgrade which went without problem... then:

After about 8 shots the lens quit autofocusing ... had the dreaded whirring infinitum sound without any focus movement in AF.

I started with a S2-P, moved to a S 006 and returned to the same only to find that with an end of product 2nd generation S and one of the first lenses offered in the system Leica cannot get QC right.

North of 13K and the lens will not AF ... there are numerous examples of this on REDDOTFORUM S lens threads ... recently.

Rather than enter the dreaded off to Solms vortex for an extended period I sent the whole kit back .... this makes the A7RII complaints look minor.

There is something wrong with the AF system of the S lenses and until it is aired and addressed I will not be back.

Otherwise a good system with great lens element but at this point poor execution.

I think I will go with the Q based on your review.

Same thing happened to me.. Exactly the same way (but the lens didn't AF right off the bat, and the second one didn't AF after updating). Third time though.. What a charm, it worked!

peterv

Hi Jonathan, lucky you! Are you going to publish your impressions?

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Does it use the same battery pack as the S?
No. The S007 battery has a larger capacity battery. It is backwards compatible with the S2 and S006, but older batteries cannot be used in the new camera. All current chargers work though (standard and pro).

Shashin

Great price and specs, it is said to have 15 stops DR!
I might not be too excited about that. From DPreview:

Possibly the most significant feature of the new sensor is the quoted 15-stop dynamic range. Leica claims there has been no demand from its S camera users for greater resolution, but the increase from 13-stops of DR in the Type 006 to 15 stops will have a definite impact on the way images look. The DNG Raw files are recorded in 14bit with some interpolation applied to produce the quoted figures.
Now the question is how close it can come to 14 EV of DR without interpolation...

V

Vivek

Low contrast flat files (good for 4K video) appear to be the norm. Leica is joining the fray by "cooking" the files to that end, it would seem.

Old argument for an old Leica. They opened up brand new facilities and have partnerships with electronics and software makers now (i.e. the Q). I think their capacity may be higher, and they really aught to grow up and find a way to make at least one product for professionals affordably. Make them in Japan, or China, keep the lenses German! Only die hard red-dot drunk fans will really have a problem with 'made in' markers that don't end in 'Germany'. Why they don't seem to want professionals (who are largely budget conscious as of late) using their equipment is beyond me. I have some pretty high hopes for the new rumored system personally. And in 4 years when the new S is affordable, I'll take a look.