The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sean Reid posts his Leica S2 (typ 007) Review

jonoslack

HI There
Sean Reid has just published his extensive review of the S(007).
He's understandably extremely positive (it's a fantastic camera, I've been testing one as well).

It's a pay site, but well worth the effort: reidreviews.com

All the best
Jonathan Slack

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
No fruit and vegetables for this first part review...

Great pics and very well reasoned and detailed review as always.

Love the zero noise reduction 100% views which allow for a decent assessment of high iso.

Hard to see anything in this camera that needs improving ... but I have had 2 previous S cameras.

Thanks for the heads up.

Bob

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thank you. Such a pleasure to see examples! (Jono, I look forward to yours.)

Images from the S (old and new) always hit me with a "Right! That's what it looks like!" feeling. Most images from most systems have a paint-by-numbers feel: The sky is blue. The leaves are green. Even if not oversaturated, the colors feel too uniform. (Playing with an A7rII RAW file, I was happy that you CAN get natural looking tones, but it's nowhere near the defaults. I use an A7II as my main camera now, but don't love it and don't feel the urge to upgrade.)

As an aside, given Sean Reid's focus on good camera interfaces, his website is ... interesting. God, it's hard to navigate an article... :rolleyes:

Best,

Matt

peterv

Well said, Matt. I personally feel that my S2-P has really thought my to see the colors I put in front of my camera. It's very, very accurate. And the subtleties it registers are seemingly infinite.

Jay Emm

...As an aside, given Sean Reid's focus on good camera interfaces, his website is ... interesting. God, it's hard to navigate an article... :rolleyes
And that's the polite version. His site is horrid to get around. I know he's rightly protecting his (impressive) intellectual property, but wow it comes at the expense of anything approaching a good experience.

dseelig

When it comes to Reid I will say this I paid for his site and on his advice bought some voigtlander lenses and hated them. the nokton the 15 and realized we had totally different tastes in lenses and his testing tome left much to be desired. As far as Lloyd well agian what he shoots and what I shoot are two different things but his taste in lense for me is spot on. I do think he is a little grumbly but that is becasue he xpects things to work what a concept.

JohnBrew

When it comes to Reid I will say this I paid for his site and on his advice bought some voigtlander lenses and hated them. the nokton the 15 and realized we had totally different tastes in lenses and his testing tome left much to be desired. As far as Lloyd well agian what he shoots and what I shoot are two different things but his taste in lense for me is spot on. I do think he is a little grumbly but that is becasue he xpects things to work what a concept.
I never got on with the Voigtlander lenses I tried on my M's. There seems to be a large sample variation from that manufacturer.

turtle

Absolutely, especially with the older designs. Lenses like the 35mm f1.2 II seem more consistent, whereas the old 21 and 25mm LTM and M versions were highly variable.

I second Sean's site as being very useful, but I would urge him to upgrade the interface. It can be painful to navigate, especially on slow internet. His objectivity and consistency is much appreciated though. I can't say I have ever had much of a difference between his findings and my own, so I trust his commentary.

I never got on with the Voigtlander lenses I tried on my M's. There seems to be a large sample variation from that manufacturer.