The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice needed please..

rayyan

Of those Leica M owners that still have the M8 lying around, I would like some advice if I may..

1. Would you still take it as your primary camera on a vacation?

2. Is your M8 lying in a cupboard? Have you not sold it due to the low price making it not worth to sell? If so, what is your M8 doing?

3. Knowing the issues that the M8 has, do you think that it is now not dependable enough to take with you on holidays?

I have 2 M8s. Hardly use them. I see no defect with any of them currently. I am ok with the crop factor. I am ok with the uv/ir filters. Should I just watch them die without being used? Or should I use them till they just give up? I love the M8 b&w.

I do not print more than A3.

Please share your thoughts on this issue.

Thank you.

Ken_R

Of those Leica M owners that still have the M8 lying around, I would like some advice if I may..

2. Is your M8 lying in a cupboard? Have you not sold it due to the low price making it not worth to sell? If so, what is your M8 doing?

3. Knowing the issues that the M8 has, do you think that it is now not dependable enough to take with you on holidays?

I have 2 M8s. Hardly use them. I see no defect with any of them currently. I am ok with the crop factor. I am ok with the uv/ir filters. Should I just watch them die without being used? Or should I use them till they just give up? I love the M8 b&w.

Thank you.

If you do not use them sell them. At a price that is reasonable and sells relatively quickly. Digital cameras are meant to be used as photographic tools not financial investments. You enjoyed them so I would just move on and not fret about whether they can fetch a few hundred dollars more or less. Time is money. Someone will use them and enjoy them. If you like to collect gear then sell one and keep one.

Godfrey

If you use them, use them until they die.
If you don't use them, sell them and get what money you can out of them.

I don't know about anyone else, but an M8 still goes for $1000+, and a couple thousand dollars sitting on a shelf and slowly going away is much less appealing than a couple thousand dollars available to use for whatever.

G

JohnBrew

Up until Leica introduced the M(240) I still believe the M8.2 was the best digital camera they ever made.
If your M8's are still working I would use them. And yes, even today, I would take it on vacation.

4season

I faced this decision a few years ago and sold mine. Very likely you've already gotten all the value you're ever going to get out of those M8s.

Yes I could still use one, but I've already moved on to other things.

Paratom

Thank you.
I dont think my images improved going from M8 to M9 and from M9 to M240. Main reason was to be more flexible in regards of higher ISO. Also the M240 is faster in response.
If you dont miss speed or better high ISO performance I would use them till they dy if I were you. I sometimes stilb lelieve the M8 images had a certain, special brilliance.

Last edited:

Arif

Sold mine and bought the MM to go with the M9 (at that time taking filters on and off lenses was getting distracting). I agree that cameras are not financial investments so if any incremental technology opens more doors to pictures you had problems with earlier, then go for it.
Arif

Some journeys: Arif Iqball

rayyan

Folks, thanks, thanks a lot for your responses.

I never buy cameras as investments...that is a loosing proposition.

Instead of dying in the cupboard..I shall use them. Let them die in the field.
Shame to go sitting on a shelf.

So much so that an M8 shall accompany me on my next vacation.

Along with a Df, of course.:D