The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

Paratom

Thank you Jono for the report/review.

How did you feel you could use the S for spontanious photography?

mmbma

Hi There
Bob has done a great job of putting my
Leica S (typ 007) report​

on the front page.
It's kind of oblique, as I haven't used an S camera before - but hopefully it will be of interest to some.
Thanks for your review Jono. It provided an interesting perspective from a street shooting/travel perspective. However I really hoped to see more serious shots, ones that an actual leica S user would be mostly concerned. Beauty and Landscape photograhy.

jonoslack

Thanks for your review Jono. It provided an interesting perspective from a street shooting/travel perspective. However I really hoped to see more serious shots, ones that an actual leica S user would be mostly concerned. Beauty and Landscape photograhy.
Hi there
Well, I think the purpose of Leica in giving me the camera was to get a handle on how the camera could be used for "non serious" photography: Not much doubt that it also performs for "serious" Landscape and beauty photography. other reviewers will/have concentrated on that Mind you, nobody has ever called my photography "street" before!

Hopefully it expanded some people's idea of where the camera can be used.

jonoslack

No offence dude, but this sounds rather condescending IMO...
Hi Joris
No worries. I certainly don't feel condescended to! I'm usually trying to make people smile anyway, so I shall take it as a compliment :). Thank you though!

jonoslack

Thank you Jono for the report/review.

How did you feel you could use the S for spontanious photography?
Hi Tom
Well, I think you can easily use the camera for spontaneous photography, but of course you do have to carry it!

Paratom

Hi there
Well, I think the purpose of Leica in giving me the camera was to get a handle on how the camera could be used for "non serious" photography: Not much doubt that it also performs for "serious" Landscape and beauty photography. other reviewers will/have concentrated on that Mind you, nobody has ever called my photography "street" before!

Hopefully it expanded some people's idea of where the camera can be used.
I have been using the S2 and S 006 for "non serious" photography for years now and I think I am not alone.I also believe part of the idea and design of the S-System is to allow to also use the camera for such kind of things, even if it might be overkill.

JohnBrew

Jono, I think you covered "beauty and landscape" perfectly. Ya know, whatever camera I happen to have on me at the moment is going to have to suffice for whatever I run into - street, landscape, portrait, architecture, what have you. Sure, if I go out with the purpose of just shooting landscape, then I take my tripod and some more specific gear, but I don't let that limit my photography.
When I went to your review I found your usual take on things which I appreciate no end. This is what I expect and you deliver.
Thank you.
John

justalexander

Just joined the Leica S007 club today with a 007, 24, 30, 20-90, 70, 120mm lens.

Have been using H3DII 22, 5DMKIII and A7RII until today.

Have only taken a few shots, mostly with the 120mm but all I can say so far is F--K me!!!

I think I've got my mojo back!!!

Paratom

Just joined the Leica S007 club today with a 007, 24, 30, 20-90, 70, 120mm lens.

Have been using H3DII 22, 5DMKIII and A7RII until today.

Have only taken a few shots, mostly with the 120mm but all I can say so far is F--K me!!!

I think I've got my mojo back!!!
Sounds good. Enjoy and let us see some images!

justalexander

Sounds good. Enjoy and let us see some images!
Have had the camera for 6 hours and most of that time was spent downloading software, updating firmware and trying to find the best way to squeeze this wonderful system into one of my bags.

Just uploaded my first test images. The hi res is available here...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kdoqwzaxpqa6mc/Tree.jpg?dl=0

Wanted to test the dynamic range and noise. The baubles on the tree were almost completely black with the lights being pure white. ISO 100, 12 seconds at F8. No other edits. Pin sharp from corner to corner. Noise reduction turned off.

The starbursts are truly incredible!

I've never been a Leica Fanboy but this camera changes everything. It genuinely makes me want to go out and take photos in my spare time which I've never done because when you work 12 hrs behind a camera everyday, the thought of picking up a camera in my spare time makes me nauseous!

A very important lesson I've just learnt is that any vibration however small seriously degrades the incredible sharpness these lenses are capable off. I'm using a new $2000 Arca Swiss D4 geared head on a pair of Manfrotto 055 Pro B legs... and I think the legs have to go ASAP!

I really want to show the detail of the tree, does anyone know how I can upload a hi res image??? Does this work?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kdoqwzaxpqa6mc/Tree.jpg?dl=0

Attachments

Last edited:

Paratom

I use it 98% handhold and still happy with results. So i assume when I would put it on a tripod it would be even sharper, Best, Tom

justalexander

I use it 98% handhold and still happy with results. So i assume when I would put it on a tripod it would be even sharper, Best, Tom
This was a 12 second exposure and there is a subway right beneath. I guess the camera only needs to move/wobble 6 microns during the exposure for it to be less than perfect... and 6 microns is a VERY small number!

I think I'd be happy to hand hold down to 1/focal length but for super critical work I'm going to tie it down to make the most of my $80,000 investment! :loco::bugeyes::cry:

Paratom

This was a 12 second exposure and there is a subway right beneath. I guess the camera only needs to move/wobble 6 microns during the exposure for it to be less than perfect... and 6 microns is a VERY small number!

I think I'd be happy to hand hold down to 1/focal length but for super critical work I'm going to tie it down to make the most of my $80,000 investment! :loco::bugeyes::cry:
80 K ? HOW many bodies did you get ? :bugeyes:

justalexander

Okay... just discovered images are limited to 2400px which I uploaded but images still appear to be compressed with no control over the compression quality.

So I've now had the camera just over 12 hours and havnt tried anything serious, still having fun testing the quality of the files including dynamic range sharpness etc... 30-90mm at 30mm F8 11 seconds. The starbursts are beautiful and the quality is just jaw dropping. These uploads don't do it justice!!!

I've straightened and cropped in photoshop.

Attachments

biglouis

Whenever I look at S images, even compressed ones, they are impressive. I suppose they should be at that price but then you get what you pay for!

LouisB