The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica SL (601) ..Oct 20th?

Hulyss Bowman

colors...I hope for subtile S colors. (IMO)
The S do not have more "subtile" colors as, let say, a simple D800. In fact they are almost the same (I'm S user). Even thought it is a CCD, it is pretty neutral without any kind of characterisation, like a CMOS. The colors out of the Q are just aftermath Leica curve soup.

With leica all is in the lens, really, and only in the lenses.

algrove

Yes, the Q is great. And I think the price point is fair for what you get. Again, I kinda wish Leica would have just added the necessary updates to the Q (half stop shutter, half stop aperture) and then just brought out a 35/75 or 28/50/90 versions. Update the flash to something usable and viola. I'm happy for the next 10 years + whatever S-system I decide to keep/use + the newest M available :D
Agree the f stop & shutter clicks are quirks and not what we usually find with Leicas, but I have gotten a bit used to it and find the camera a joy to use in AF (that was why I bought it) just the same as when I first got the RX-1.

You are right that if Leica comes out with a different FL versions it might just be the difference. Due to the Rx-1 having a 35, I believe that is why Leica used the 28 and might stay away from that FL (especially with the introduction of the RX1RII), but even a 50/75 combo might work. For me 35 is the sweat spot for street.

Jose Villa wouldn't touch it (strictly film). But I agree.. I'd love to have a SL+45S and a SL+100S for weddings, if they really were small fast EVF S-sensor cameras. As it stands now, I'm considering two S bodies for weddings. I just can't decide if I think it's a good or a bad idea (weight wise). I use to run around with 2-3 1Dx cameras.. And that was hell.. 2x M-P240 cameras strapped to me, make my life a lot easier.
He shot ads for Fuji when the XPro1 came out. He doesn't use that camera for his work (for obvious reasons), but if somebody came along with a digital camera that could match a Contax 645 he'd be open to trying it. I'm not saying he's going to give up on film completely but he'd at least try it. Especially since Fuji 400H keeps going insane price wise.

T.Dascalos

Not Available
My opinion is that there will be no "new" camera from Leica... Whatever "new" Leica release (and whenever it will be announced) should be a FF version of the existing T...
It is obvious that the T mount is able to bear a FF sensor and (being a mirrorless with a very wide mount - wider than Sony α7) it should be as capable (if not more) as the Sony α7 series of cameras with the new mini series of view cameras (Cambo Actus - Arca Universallis) to be used on them instead on an MFDB...
If one thinks about it, it is of major Leica interest to have such a camera since one would expect from (the now family company) Sinar to enter & compete directly with the new developing market of the mini view cameras... One should also expect a 24mp FF sensor from Leica that would be a crop out of the new sensor for the S 007.

Last edited:

Knorp

In case you have plans for tomorrow evening: don't forget to switch off the Internet ... :rolleyes:

Plans for tomorrow evening? No?
Then get at 6pm (German time) yourself a drink of your choice and switch on the internet!

T.Dascalos

Not Available
One must wonder....
1.Why would they ever invest on a new mount for an EVF mirrorless with 24x36 sensor, while they made the T mount (more than) wide enough to accept a FF sensor already?

A "T" with a FF sensor it is then!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
One must wonder....
1.Why would they ever invest on a new mount for an EVF mirrorless with 24x36 sensor, while they made the T mount (more than) wide enough to accept a FF sensor already?

A "T" with a FF sensor it is then!
Tomorrow we will know!

JorisV

I sincerely hope for Leica that the camera is much better than their teaser campaign! It almost certainly has to be... :)

iiiNelson

I'm curious if this camera will be of larger physical size by design to accommodate the larger lenses that would be implemented for this camera. How would prospective buyers feel about a camera that was of similar in size to a smaller FF DSLR? Would that be a deal breaker? I know it is/was for many that tried out the Sony FE System that expected Leica M sized or Micro 4/3 sized lenses.

JohnBrew

Cat is already out of the bag. An Italian magazine posted shots of the camera and lenses but then quickly removed them (I'll bet they won't be getting a test sample soon!). Looks like a Leica A7R. Highest mag EVF yet. LUF has the threads. Personally, I'm sorta wondering why this camera was given the green light, but I suppose Leica had to move beyond rangefinder technology at some point.

T.Dascalos

Not Available
I believe that many people have the wrong idea about Leica... IMO, Leica traditionally aims to offer the best IQ possible out of any manufacturer and it factors the assisting parameters (ergonomics, build quality, reliability, functionality) as high as no other maker. IMO, they try to price their equipment as low as possible, but -obviously- the quality parameters add to cost... The recent pricing policy on the S-series, is a proof of the above... They now offer better performance than ever at near half the price than when the product started its career...

There was a very difficult path for Leica to retain its values (offering the best IQ possible) with them being late into the digital market as there was a (new) parameter involved in which they had no experience at all during the film days... that being the sensor! However... they seem to work highly on the matter as to not only catch-up, but surely to beat the competition as soon as possible and this shows again with the later introductions (S series & Q)... Another proof is that they have stick into the 6μm pixel size in all their exclusive sensors, which (I believe) they won't abandon unless they reach the level of performance that worths the Leica name... But none can argue that the more their recent products are appreciated, the better their pricing becomes!

I believe that the new camera will have a sensor that will be very closely related to a cropped version of the S 007 series, which would mean that it would be among the best performing sensors in the FF market... As for the body pricing, I strongly believe that the build quality will justify it better than ever before and also that it can't be more than the Q (since it will have no lens) but it will be significantly less than the "M" series too (it being a "T"-series that is the introductory interchangeable lens series). Never the less, I believe that all the later Leica introductions will be of surprisingly high sensor performance from what people expect having older Leicas in mind and that the next generation of sensors will be second to none in the market. I believe that the rate they introduce new sensors one being better than the other is a proof of that and that this rate won't slow down soon...

As a conclusion, I am sure that they won't be satisfied unless their sensors are on par with the same level of quality that accompanies the rest of the parameters they offer in their cameras and that their pricing will become better and better, as their market section keeps expanding with out ever making a compromise in quality... it's the Leica tradition! ...it's what kept them alive and kicking butts!

P.S. I also believe that they have big plans for Sinar... and since Sinar is expected to soon enter the "mini view camera" market that is aimed to use mirrorless cameras instead of a digital back, I believe that this camera is designed to perform this task as a major target behind the design... a parameter that has being highly (and constantly) ignored by the participants in this discussion.

BJNY

Cat is already out of the bag. An Italian magazine posted shots of the camera and lenses but then quickly removed them (I'll bet they won't be getting a test sample soon!). Looks like a Leica A7R. Highest mag EVF yet. LUF has the threads. Personally, I'm sorta wondering why this camera was given the green light, but I suppose Leica had to move beyond rangefinder technology at some point.
http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/look-here-first-images-of-the-new-leica-sl-with-lenses/