The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica SL (601) ..Oct 20th?

T.Dascalos

Not Available
My opinion is that there will be no "new" camera from Leica... Whatever "new" Leica release (and whenever it will be announced) should be a FF version of the existing T...
It is obvious that the T mount is able to bear a FF sensor and (being a mirrorless with a very wide mount - wider than Sony α7) it should be as capable (if not more) as the Sony α7 series of cameras with the new mini series of view cameras (Cambo Actus - Arca Universallis) to be used on them instead on an MFDB...
If one thinks about it, it is of major Leica interest to have such a camera since one would expect from (the now family company) Sinar to enter & compete directly with the new developing market of the mini view cameras... One should also expect a 24mp FF sensor from Leica that would be a crop out of the new sensor for the S 007.
I guess I should now say "bingo"!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
So far my reaction is .....Oh No! :banghead:

I wasn t looking for a break thru ..just an excellent Leica with EVF ...this looks like another camera built from the “parts bin” .

V

Vivek

Come on Leica, why do you have to copy Sony???? You really can do better!!!
I wish they did. No swivel screen and the flexibility. Also, it would not be funny if the touch screen gets activated with a nose while using the EVF.

Oh, the size of that 50mm! :bugeyes:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
And if it looked like a mini-S, then we'd be saying "Copied Panasonic!". I'll suspend disbelief until some trusted reviews come out. The appeal of the Q, and S for that matter, is not in the pictures OF the cameras. User experience and lenses!

--Matt

algrove

So far my reaction is .....Oh No! :banghead:

I wasn t looking for a break thru ..just an excellent Leica with EVF ...this looks like another camera built from the “parts bin” .
It looks about like a rebadged Sony A7R2 without 42MP, IBIS, and tilt screen.

Brian Mosley

Wow, some strong reactions here already! I'm waiting for an actual review... come on Jono, what's your take? :thumbup::thumbdown: ???

Kind regards

Brian

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
This reminds me of every Apple launch ever. It's ugly! It's not innovative! It's too expensive!

Then reviews come out.

Then people use them.

Then they're the best.

I HOPE Leica is copying Apple in targeting the photographer experience subject to excellent results, even if the specs aren't in first place. And if the lenses are S-quality?

When do the review embargoes end? At the announcement? At midnight?

iiiNelson

I'm interested in the hands on reviews by neutral sources although I think what people in the Leica camp don't say is telling as well. No doubt the EVF and menu system will be agreeable with those with Leica roots (especially after how polarizing views on the T system are.) I hope it brings about another option for Leica users with eyes that aren't good enough to manually focus fast M lenses but want to stay in the Leica ecosystem...

I'm also sort of wondering if Sony will attempt to rain on the parade today like they did with the Q announcement as well.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Of course we will “wait for the reviews” but ergonomics are important . How the camera feels in my hand and balances is important to me . I absolutely hate small body and large lenses . This isn t new stuff .....I don t favor the M bodies with the Noctilux for example while I enjoy the Q .

When the S2 came out with 70S lens ...I could close my eyes and pick up the camera , feel the shutter vibration . I could look thru the finder and see with great clarity . The Nikon D810 has terrific ergonomics and the Df doesn t .

Maybe with a grip but this looks to have the form or the Sony (which I don t like at all) and large lenses . Look at the relative size of the 50/1.4 Summilux .

If I needed the EVF to focus ...(critical to many ) ....or I was waiting for a Leica with AF ....maybe . But this looks to be a very high cost alternative .

I ve had every Leica SL since the first one and have been bugging my dealer for this camera for months .....so far disappointed by initial design decisions on form and lens size .

24mp. Contrast detect AF. Very large and variable aperture zooms. What is admittedly probably a great VF. $10,000 for a kit. Are you out of your MINDS???? Just throw them up for sale in Hong Kong, Dubai, and Monaco. This thing is DOA in the USA. I'll keep saving my pennies for the RX1RII.

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
My problem is with the look of this camera and the feel which will obviously result somehow from that look. As others already mentioned, this is FF and once you use FF lenses, especially telecoms, then it becomes immediately important how easy such a camera can be held and operated. The Leica S has that, the Leica R8 and R9 had it, as well as the Leicaflex SL from 1960's. So Leica definitely knows how to build ergonomic and also good looking cameras!

And now this??? This is why I am upset. And this could have been the differentiator for me against Sony and their FE line of cameras. Which would mean much more to me than having the greatest and latest sensor with most MP and most AF points - I actually do not care so much.

So I was actually expecting a kind of a mini S, maybe if the wanted to do something nostalgic give it a bit more the look of a mini S on Leicaflex SL steroids. But not another tiny body with obviously tiny battery and hence short battery life.

But maybe I am just wrong and the new camera turns out to be the all singing and dancing queen and handles even superbly albeit the look we have so far, but my hope is not high ....

This reminds me of every Apple launch ever. It's ugly! It's not innovative! It's too expensive!

Then reviews come out.

Then people use them.

Then they're the best.

I HOPE Leica is copying Apple in targeting the photographer experience subject to excellent results, even if the specs aren't in first place. And if the lenses are S-quality?

When do the review embargoes end? At the announcement? At midnight?
I think only the Q has experienced that. The T was met with head scratches. Reviews for X cameras are full of apologies for poor performance because the reviewers get charmed by one thing or another, and now you never see them in the wild. The M doesn't count because it stands apart. Sort of the same with the S. Those are expensive enough that if you want one you don't need a review to tell you to buy a 645Z instead, you're gonna get the Leica. Leica hasn't been able to achieve 'best' status at anything except the things they do, that nobody else is doing. Especially now that Zeiss is making Otus lenses. Like, I love the M, film M's, the mono, and the Q. But the rest, and now this SL... are the design teams full of yes men? Because that's how you end up with cameras with a ton of compromises that you except your 'loyal fans' to simply ignore.

UHDR

just add proper TTL and leaf shutter.....then leica automatically won over half the studio pro's lol

barjohn

This appears to be a Sony A7 body with a Leica T mount and the Q internals for a mere $6,900 Euros. The lenses do not appear to have a manual aperture ring and do appear to be huge. I agree with others that this is one camera Leica is not likely to have to worry about demand exceeding production. Even if they had done the Q body with the T mount and a couple of primes they would have had a better market prospect.

Frankly, I don't care what the reviewers say about it I would not pay over $10K for this camera with a lens. Thank goodness Leica didn't price the Q as badly. Bottom line this is not a Q killer (I know they would not want to kill the Q) nor is it a Sony A7RII killer. :grin: