The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica SL (601) ..Oct 20th?

This appears to be a Sony A7 body with a Leica T mount and the Q internals for a mere $6,900 Euros. The lenses do not appear to have a manual aperture ring and do appear to be huge. I agree with others that this is one camera Leica is not likely to have to worry about demand exceeding production. Even if they had done the Q body with the T mount and a couple of primes they would have had a better market prospect.

Frankly, I don't care what the reviewers say about it I would not pay over $10K for this camera with a lens. Thank goodness Leica didn't price the Q as badly. Bottom line this is not a Q killer (I know they would not want to kill the Q) nor is it a Sony A7RII killer. :grin:
I agree. How much sharper could the zooms be? How much more pleasing, the SOOC file color? (I think BTW that Sony has great color, same with Nikon and it doesn't matter because VSCO & Mastin Labs are the great levelers). Is anyone looking at A7RII files and thinking, Leica would do 10x better? I really expected Leica to offer something different here. Leica needs to fire some people.

iiiNelson

I agree. How much sharper could the zooms be? How much more pleasing, the SOOC file color? (I think BTW that Sony has great color, same with Nikon and it doesn't matter because VSCO & Mastin Labs are the great levelers). Is anyone looking at A7RII files and thinking, Leica would do 10x better? I really expected Leica to offer something different here. Leica needs to fire some people.
On some levelI feel somewhat jaded because this is the camera that I wanted say 3 or 4 years ago when I was still primarily a Leica user. I think that they missed the price point completely but I'm sure that this will be a capable product albeit not "cutting edge."

It sort of shows that the niche market and boutique prices have their place but I sort of view these products on the same marketing plane as the celestial Hasselblad cameras. Capable photographic equipment but at unrealistic prices due to the label. Everyone has to compete in the market IF THERE'S DIRECT COMPETITION whether it's boutique or not.

This could be a real commercial winner in the $3500-4500 range for the body but spec wise it's still going to get compared to the A7II as much as the A7RII on features. That camera retails for around $1500 and for a little more with the kit lens. Maybe Panasonic will offer a sensibly priced version like they did with the 4/3 cameras.

miska

I find it a bit strange to come out with a lens system based on 2 zooms and only one prime.
To me, Leica is all about image quality, and I don't see how the initial lens line-up is going to be at the forefront of IQ for mirrorless.
Had they come out with one zoom (the 24-90 range is cool), PLUS a trio of 35mm, 50mm and 85mm Autofocus summiluxes, then yeah, maybe. Why didn't they do that ? They already have killer optical designs for FF primes for the M, and they didn't leverage on those. Tst, tst, tst.

Now, it's a battle of A7R + Batis + the few nice Sony/Zeiss against the Leica SL with a Zoom. I don't think Leica is going to win that one...

On some levelI feel somewhat jaded because this is the camera that I wanted say 3 or 4 years ago when I was still primarily a Leica user. I think that they missed the price point completely but I'm sure that this will be a capable product albeit not "cutting edge."

It sort of shows that the niche market and boutique prices have their place but I sort of view these products on the same marketing plane as the celestial Hasselblad cameras. Capable photographic equipment but at unrealistic prices due to the label. Everyone has to compete in the market IF THERE'S DIRECT COMPETITION whether it's boutique or not.

This could be a real commercial winner in the $3500-4500 range for the body but spec wise it's still going to get compared to the A7II as much as the A7RII on features. That camera retails for around $1500 and for a little more with the kit lens. Maybe Panasonic will offer a sensibly priced version like they did with the 4/3 cameras.
Yes. People forget that $4500 dollars is a lot for a mirrorless, even if it is full frame. This product is not unique. I am guessing but I bet it will perform in line with what's available already, with slightly better lenses in their class than average. I shoot with a mirrorless camera professionally (I use an A7II & a D750 at my weddings), and this is too expensive for me, tax write off or no. This should certainly cost $5,000 with the 50mm lens. That would still be boutique pricing, but I could at least justify it on some level.

algrove

If nothing more than an improved EVF, then Leica has just put sales $ into Sony's hands, handsdown. One would expect much more than that for around $7k versus the improved A7R2 for around $3k. Anyway you hack it that is double the price for what-better EVF, lower MP sensor, better menu perhaps, maybe better ergonomics, greater ISO-unknown as yet, faster AF-unknown as yet, high priced zoom lenses and an Otus sized 50/1.4.

In today's world with Zeiss bringing out superb FE lenses, Leica's quality edge had been diminished if not forgotten by many.

I do hope reviewers have something phenomenal up their sleeves because this could be embarrassing. I know many tout the S-007, but after a years wait that is also too little too late and with that being the flagship model every other Leica has to have a sensor way lower than the S's lame 37.5 MP, ergo 24MP. I like most agreed with the MP mantra until I got the 645Z.

barjohn

This camera seems to follow the losing philosophy of the X series where they repackage the same electronics in a different body with minor tweaks. It doesn't appear to have worked very well there. Q's with different FL lenses would have been a better strategy, I think. The Q is a clear market winner, why not leverage off of that (other than that they don't seem capable of producing many)? Dealers I have spoken with are furious at Leica over the poor availability of the Q. They finally produce a camera buyers want and they can't get them to sell. Don't worry dealers you will have plenty of SLs to sell. :D

It would be complete marketing genius to fake a rumored camera that is disappointing only to blow everyone away with the real thing. I thought they would do that with the Vario, but then they actually released the Vario.

k-hawinkler

If nothing more than an improved EVF, then Leica has just put sales $ into Sony's hands, handsdown. One would expect much more than that for around $7k versus the improved A7R2 for around $3k. Anyway you hack it that is double the price for what-better EVF, lower MP sensor, better menu perhaps, maybe better ergonomics, greater ISO-unknown as yet, faster AF-unknown as yet, high priced zoom lenses and an Otus sized 50/1.4.

In today's world with Zeiss bringing out superb FE lenses, Leica's quality edge had been diminished if not forgotten by many.

I do hope reviewers have something phenomenal up their sleeves because this could be embarrassing. I know many tout the S-007, but after a years wait that is also too little too late and with that being the flagship model every other Leica has to have a sensor way lower than the S's lame 37.5 MP, ergo 24MP. I like most agreed with the MP mantra until I got the 645Z.
Thanks Lou.
Could you elaborate just a bit what excites you about the 645Z and what you use it for.
Which other cameras do you currently use?
TIA.

iiiNelson

It would be complete marketing genius to fake a rumored camera that is disappointing only to blow everyone away with the real thing. I thought they would do that with the Vario, but then they actually released the Vario.
Similarly a French publications leaked the X-Vario prior to the official release.

algrove

Thanks Lou.
Could you elaborate just a bit what excites you about the 645Z and what you use it for.
Which other cameras do you currently use?
TIA.
K-H
I mainly use the 645Z for landscape. Many of the older lenses even work wonders on this 51Mp beaut such as the FA 150/2.8 and the A 35/3.5. Even the 75mm (60 equiv) brand new cost me only $600. The 35 lens has even worked well for street work as it's a 28mm FL equivalent. The new 645 lenses are not cheap, but my favorite is the 28-45, roughly a 22-35mm equivalent. The 55/2.8 is super sharp and the 90 Macro is also sharp as heck. All these last lenses are weather sealed and have huge o-rings at lens base. The body has 72 weather seal points and recently at the North Grand Canyon in a sideways rain storm it was flawless whereas most other users around were almost afraid to use their Phase, Canikons for fear of the obvious. The only other guy who like me did not care has the A7R and by now should also have the new one.

I still have the RX-1 and also now the Q. Personally, I like 35mm FL best for street.

Then I have the M-P and M246. Due to my failing eyesight I use the EVF most often and just carry extra batteries. I have reduced my inventory of M and R lenses considerably and probably will continue to do so.

Last edited:

T.Dascalos

Not Available
I find it a bit strange to come out with a lens system based on 2 zooms and only one prime.
To me, Leica is all about image quality, and I don't see how the initial lens line-up is going to be at the forefront of IQ for mirrorless.
Had they come out with one zoom (the 24-90 range is cool), PLUS a trio of 35mm, 50mm and 85mm Autofocus summiluxes, then yeah, maybe. Why didn't they do that ? They already have killer optical designs for FF primes for the M, and they didn't leverage on those. Tst, tst, tst.

Now, it's a battle of A7R + Batis + the few nice Sony/Zeiss against the Leica SL with a Zoom. I don't think Leica is going to win that one...
What you mention (that they already have killer optical designs), is exactly the reason why they went for zooms... They have plenty of primes to use on it via adapters.... That way they attract faithful to the firm customers into the new camera too...

M

mjr

I love new camera releases, certainly brings out interesting responses from people, especially before we have heard from anyone who has actually held the thing, makes me laugh!

Who knows, this could have high ISO performance like the A7s with more resolution, it could play well with other leica lenses, I happen to agree with the above that if it works with exiting lenses then releasing zooms that compliment is a smart idea. It does have a similar form factor to the Sony but that's nothing new, canon's look like nikons, I don't think it's a bad thing.

Anyway, it's just a camera, buy it, don't buy it, the world will still spin!

Mat

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Ok its on order ....

multifunction grip solves my issue with ergonomics

emphasis on camera speed most important has to be responsive to do 11FPS

camera looks good from other angles more like the Q

JohnBrew

Would be interesting to know if the focus point is movable in the EVF as other DSLR's. That would certainly make for an interesting proposition vis-a-vis M lenses. Lots of questions now that announcement is official but must be patient...:D

Addendum: I've now read Jono's review. Super job as usual! I'm going to go out on a limb and predict this thing will sell like hotcakes. Probably not in my future, however, as I do need more mp's for my landscape work and then what would I do with my M-P? Well, lots of time to think about that.

Last edited: