The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica SL (601) ..Oct 20th?

algrove

I can see the 11 fps appealing to some and also those familiar with the S system.

As for M and R lenses, since they are all manual, I see limited need for this body with them. That said if someone wanted to rid themselves of M digital bodies, then they could the best of all Leica worlds I suppose. I will have to actually touch it and see how the grip feels since with every Leica camera since the M9 my hand grip feels better when using a grip.

Anyone seen official Leica US pricing on body and the 2 zooms?

iiiNelson

I can see the 11 fps appealing to some and also those familiar with the S system.

As for M and R lenses, since they are all manual, I see limited need for this body with them. That said if someone wanted to rid themselves of M digital bodies, then they could the best of all Leica worlds I suppose. I will have to actually touch it and see how the grip feels since with every Leica camera since the M9 my hand grip feels better when using a grip.

Anyone seen official Leica US pricing on body and the 2 zooms?
Only the 24-90 will be available this year I believe and they're running about $12,500 (body and lens.)

rsmphoto

As one who makes his living with an S, T & M, I actually see this as a likely welcome and useful tool that covers a LOT of bases, especially (for me) since it tethers with LIS as well.

Richard

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A very logical camera from Leica, and a camera that offers most of what mirrorless haven't included so far. If I could afford it, I would buy it. I suppose somebody will make an F-mount adapter soon, enabling me to live with Nikon glass to start with.

I don't understand the complaints about the price. This is around what a Nikon D3X sold for new, and 2008 dollars were more expensive than the 2015 variety that people use nowadays. And this camera does include features that neither ancient or current Nikons nor the toys from Sony offer. The Canon EOS C was more than twice the price of the Leica when it was launched three years ago.

The lens isn't much heavier than the Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8, and although the Nikkor is f/2.8 all the way, it stops at 70mm. Having 90mm included makes the Leica a very versatile lens. The Sony 24-70mm f/4 is obviously much lighter. That's normal for lenses with a smaller aperture and shorter reach. The A-mount 24-70mm f/2.8 is almost as heavy as the Leica.

If you ask me, this is the first all-out professional mirrorless camera for those who can't live without full frame. And although I can't afford one, I know that I will count my pennies on a daily basis, just in case I stumble over 7,000 dollars that I mysteriously had forgotten about :rolleyes:

yudafu2

Intensely disappointed. This is probably the ugliest camera that Leica has produced, ever.

I can stomach poor screen resolution, quirks of electronics, but an ugly camera like that? No way. Then I will just get the ugly Sony instead.

It is a total shame, if we remember the modern classic design of the M9-P, the absolutely zenith of aesthetics of digital cameras. Can we even put those two cameras together and claim they have the same inheritance? Or if we look at the beauty of the S cameras, which absolutely stand for the best aesthetics a DSLR can achieve.

Moreover, if a mirrorless camera is that big and heavy with monstrous lenses, why not just get a Nikon D810 with more pixels and established reliability? What is the point of going mirrorless to deal with EVF?

The entire design team has to be fired.

I am feeling that something is changing in German industry. Think of VW, BMW and so on. They are becoming somewhat obsessed with the idea of gaining market shares, no longer satisfied with their niche.

Sad.

bipbip

Lovely review, thank you Jono. Will have to keep on buying the lottery then.
Just one thing; I liked the grain in the wedding party shots but I find there was more in the 1600ISO shots than in the 5000ISO image. Perhaps shot at 6400?

Knorp

I've got to agree: the Sony is ugly.
The SL ? Wonderful modern design, I like it.
No I'm not disappointed :cool:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
After seeing the actual size of the SL and studying all the features in more detail, I must say it does no longer look to bad, maybe actually a very good move by Leica. I would have opted for a more S-like design though and I need to hold one to see how it really feels in hand, but one of the most appealing features for me is that it is considerably larger than the Sony A7-series. So it might be better to hold and definitely allows for a larger battery which some reviewers already managed to squeeze out more that 700 shots - so far world class for mirrorless battery life.

I have no issue with 24MP etc., I like what I see from the EVF side, I am still kind of skeptical if it will become a big success just because of the price - BUT the biggest drawback for me is the native lens ecosystem. This is pretty lame and I mean there need to be several high speed SL primes available to make this a compelling system. Sure you can now mount old R lenses and M lenses, but then again this only gives MF and this is not really what I would expect for such a high price.

And finally the price - sure it is a Leica but around €10.000.- for a camera and standard zoom lens this is very high and when estimating what a system with 3 primes and 2 zooms results in this becomes soon a no go for me. And I guess I will not be alone here ...

Still not convinced!

Eoin

Is it just me or has the whole photographic world become accustomed to expensive (almost disposable in 5 years) camera bodies?.
I've always known Leica as expensive (pre M8), then outrageously expensive as digital M progressed. But to my mind this SL and the Zoom for $12.5K is off the scale.
Good luck to those who are brave enough to drop the serious wedge, I hope your expectations are met and exceeded for this price bracket.

In saying the above, still congrats to Leica on their new system, the controls and minimalist approach in the design I quite like. However I am unlikely to ever be in a position to ever consider or even own any Leica equipment again.

PeterA

So - Leica nuts will buy it and price sensitive riff raff Sony shooters will decry it as being too expensive - nothing new here...move right along folks:ROTFL:

yudafu2

From a purely aesthetic point of view, the M9-P/Monochrom was the pinnacle of beauty, really pieces of art.

The bulk of the 240 was already going toward a more functional/geeky, less pretty direction. I get the 240 for the improvements, but always hated the bulk and added weight.

The Q, which I was initially really intrigued by all its functionality and almost pulled the trigger, repelled me when I handled the real machine at a store. Aesthetically, it is such a huge step back from the M. It is more square, more hollow, more sterile looking. (Moreover, the EVF, albeit better than most, is still no comparison with a OVF.)

And now this?? SL?

What is going on? What has gone wrong?

Paratom

Owning several M , S and T lenses the SL looks like a great body where I could use all my lenses. But then I think S lenses balance best on S body, M lenses work best with rangefinder and T-lenses give me 16mp on the much smaller T-body.

The images from Jono look great though. I have not yet come to a conclusion, if this camera makes sense for me. It would make sense if native SL lenses and sensor would be close IQ to the S system , so I could replace the S with a SL.
I would have to handle the zoom to see how big it the range of 24-90 seems very flexible.

algrove

I could not believe they did this at first. Then I read Jono, BJP, K Dowling and Reid and I see the allure -to some. All round I do not see the crispness in M images that I see in the 28-90 SL lens images on any site.

Then I find out it is heavier which for me is going in the opposite direction I want to go. Then lenses after about a year and then only 3, that turns me off for now. Now I know I'm not a pro and proud of it!

lambert

I could not believe they did this at first. Then I read Jono, BJP, K Dowling and Reid and I see the allure -to some. All round I do not see the crispness in M images that I see in the 28-90 SL lens images on any site.

Then I find out it is heavier which for me is going in the opposite direction I want to go. Then lenses after about a year and then only 3, that turns me off for now. Now I know I'm not a pro and proud of it!
"Steve Huff says:
October 20, 2015 at 2:26 pm
Well, Reid is VERY VERY tight with Leica, same as a couple others who do reviews..(as in, borderline working for them in some ways) – you will never see a negative Reid leica review. If you want the name, have the cash, and only care about the name, then sure, go for it. I am sure it is lovely. If you want better specs, and performance while spending much less and getting the same body style in a smaller package, the A7RII is the one to beat in the full frame mirrorless game. If this were $3500 body and $2000 for the lenses it could have been a home run. But at $12500 for the body and slow large zoom… it’s a non starter IMO."

Steve's take on the SL:

» The New Leica SL Announced. My thoughts.

Owning several M , S and T lenses the SL looks like a great body where I could use all my lenses. But then I think S lenses balance best on S body, M lenses work best with rangefinder and T-lenses give me 16mp on the much smaller T-body.

The images from Jono look great though. I have not yet come to a conclusion, if this camera makes sense for me. It would make sense if native SL lenses and sensor would be close IQ to the S system , so I could replace the S with a SL.
I would have to handle the zoom to see how big it the range of 24-90 seems very flexible.
I have several S lenses and will be buying a new 120mm CS lens again, the previous one I sent back. I have three R lenses, my wife shoots her T and she has her lenses. It's logical for myself to buy the SL and use the new SL as a backup for my s2, and use my M and R lenses on a new weatherproof platform. The price is steep, but I expected the price to be high.

I cannot decide if I want the SL more than I want to get the S007, in addition to my Trusty S2 I do not want to part with.
I can envision myself using my S100mm. for people work in natural light on the SL. I want to use the S120 Makro on a new hi ISO sensor. I need to try the camera before making any decisions and I wonder if it will be readily available in shops.
Yevgeny