The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica SL (601) ..Oct 20th?

uhoh7

I think you completely misunderstand their reviews, this is for them in first place about capabilities of cameras and not great photos. I agree that good or great photos would help.

But I am - at least from my side - happy about any of these reviews, as it will help to judge a new camera without the need to instantly buying one - plus this would be even impossible in the case of the SL :cool:
Why would I trust the views on anything from people who have the terrible judgment to post those photos and obviously had the camera for about an hour?

Here is a nice antidote:
The Leica SL - First Impressions Review — jay cassario

I showed one of Jay Cassario's images of the SL earlier in thread, which you see in this review, but did not at that time know the source. I would like to credit him now :)

PS I agree it's a shame leaf shutters are not supported in the SL.

woodleica

Looks like a great camera. Out of my range since I will continue to be an M user with an A7. But when the body's price eventually comes down 4 years from now, as it will, maybe I'll get one as a back up and it will be nice to have an EVF for all my M lenses. I'm not sure why each camp has to have so much defensiveness. I too was expecting a A7-sized camera and Leica has surprised everyone with something a little different. I think it's great.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Why would I trust the views on anything from people who have the terrible judgment to post those photos and obviously had the camera for about an hour?

Here is a nice antidote:
The Leica SL - First Impressions Review — jay cassario

I showed one of Jay Cassario's images of the SL earlier in thread, which you see in this review, but did not at that time know the source. I would like to credit him now :)

PS I agree it's a shame leaf shutters are not supported in the SL.
Well, not sure why you hate this review site so much, I definitely am in no way connected with them except that I read regularly their reviews and like them for what they are. My final trust into a product will only come when I handle it myself and can do some test shots myself, which I will do in the next days anyway as soon as Leica Store Vienna gets one SL.

I have read the Cassario review earlier this week myself and while I find it very good, there were some things confusing me pretty much, like when he mentions that AF does work very well in dim light - "I used it during dark receptions where most DSLRs struggle to lock focus, and with its AF assist lamp, I had little trouble locking focus." I cannot help myself, but I never ever use AF assist lamps as I find these lights the most ugly interruptions during receptions or other events, so this makes me a bit wonder ....

Anyway I do not want to continue comparing reviews, everyone should use the ones he/she thinks are valuable for them and forget the rest. Unfortunately today there are far too many reviewers out there who think they know what they are doing and writing, so times will get even harder :D

All the best for your further selection process for the SL anyway

Peter

Paratom

The more I think the more I agree that Leica should have released some more lenses with the SL.
Yes, you can use all kind of Leica M,T,S lenses on the SL, but they all will make more sense on their "native body".
Except, maybe extending the use of S-lenses of S2/S006 users for higher ISO.

I appreciate the design of the SL, I really like the top display, big viewfinder (even though I really would like to look through it and decide for myself if it can compete with a good optical viewfinder for my taste).
For my taste the 24-90 is too big, I would much rather use smaller f1.8/f2.0 primes, but I understand it makes sense for some people to have a high quality zoom with such a great range.

Stuart Richardson

Lens selection is a problem for nearly every new camera mount -- Sony had troubles with the FE mount, Leica had troubles with the S and T mounts, and they are having it now with the SL mount. That said, the troubles for the SL mount are a bit less than they were for the S system, for example, since there are already M, R and T lenses that can be used immediately (The M to T adapter is available, and non-electronic R to M adapters are now ubiquitous). I initially dismissed the T lenses, but then I realized that they could actually be quite useful for video...they should provide high quality native lenses for 4k video, even if the resolution is low for stills. Granted, it will be very nice to see some new SL lenses for people who are looking to buy into the system as their main camera, but for users of other Leica systems, the transition should be quite easy.

uhoh7

Well, not sure why you hate this review site so much,
Peter
LOL sorry Peter. I have no feeling toward the site whatever, never even heard of it. The imagery in the review set me off. It's not uncommon for would-be tech sites to review whatever. Which is fine. Make a professional review with decent presentation and good imagery. But that one was pretty shocking, compared to everyone else doing such decent jobs right and left: DPR excepted.

If you post images on your website, they should be decent. If you are reviewing a Leica camera, or any camera, some extra care seems natural.

By all means, anyone should post whatever links they deem relevant. But of course we should all be free to be appalled :)

jonoslack

It's been fine for me at shutter speeds no faster than 1/1000 sec. At faster shutter speeds I get uneven exposure. I use E1C shutter mode because it's quieter and more responsive. If the SL is as quiet and responsive without this feature I'd be OK without E1C.
Hi there Doug
I was disappointed that there wasn't EFC. but the quiet shutter, the lack of lag and the solid body make it less necessary
All the best

msadat

and i asked does it work with the s lenses and the answer was yes. the answer is no it does not work with cs lenses, rather lame.

I think this feature can be activated anytime via firmware! Or maybe there would be some SL lenses with leaf shutter coming later?

Peter

msadat

i think it is best if Leica lets both the s and sl system ride on their own merits rather than trying to stack the deck.

i also think they should have gone with sony, the s would have had a 50 meg sensor and the sl would have had a 36 or 42! if i commit to a system, i buy two cameras, i just can not see paying 14k for 24 meg now and on top of that no lenses but one.

uhoh7

For those who compare the SL to the A7r2, or any A7 as a platform for any non-native Sony lenses I suggest a close read of the following:

LensRentals.com - Sony E Mount Lens Optical Bench Tests

"unlike most of the Canon and Nikon mount tests we've already done, we've added 2mm of optical glass to the testing path of these [Sony FE] lenses. Why? Because we ran lots of trial tests and found that at least the first Sony lenses we tested performed much better with that amount of glass in the optical path. It made a big difference with the Sony lenses, while it did not make much difference for most of the Canon and Nikon lenses we tested"

So, what is the "glass in the path" on the body? I suspect this is the thick sensor cover which is removed with the kolari mod. Even the 50/1.8 seems to be tuned for this. Roger's guess about flange issues makes no sense as Leica RF glass is equally short and I don't hear any "glass in the path" needed for the 50APO which he has also tested.

Reverse this, and the conclusion is no legacy lens will be as happy as without, "the glass in the path" for which they were not designed. Add to this the revelations about Zeiss FE copy variations (documented in the same article above), and the Leica SL looks alot less silly compared to the Sony, than a glance at a DPR photo must first suggest. In fact, I don't think at this point there is any more question the Leica SL is the best legacy glass platform ever made, in terms of pure performance.

I still can't afford one :(

I don't think at this point there is any more question the Leica SL is the best legacy glass platform ever made, in terms of pure performance.

I still can't afford one :(
I have litte doubt that this is true, but only for some of the Leica M lenses (mostly wides and up to 50mm), but then there is no EFC and no ISIS in the SL, and this may be a severe limitation when using long glasses. With other legacy lenses I do not see any real advantage at this point in comparison with competing platforms.
Having said that it is a beautiful camera, I had the opportunity to use it briefly with the 24/90 and with a Summilux R 35/1.4 and it was a real pleasure.

Last edited:

doug

I have litte doubt that this is true, but only for some of the Leica M lenses (mostly wides and up to 50mm), but then there is no EFC and no ISIS in the SL, and this may be a severe limitation when using long glasses.
The advantages of E1C are lower vibration, less noise and shorter shutter lag. If the SL is as quiet, lacking vibration and as responsive without E1C I don't have a problem with the lack of this feature especially since E1C fails (on my a7II) with adapted lenses at shutter speeds faster than 1/1000 sec.

k-hawinkler

Uneven exposure, the upper part of the photo can be several stops under-exposed depending on shutter speed.
Thanks Doug. After reading Jim Kasson's blog I try to follow his recommendation.
But I have shot E1C shutter with 1/2000 s to 1/2500 s and didn't experience anything like that with my A7r2.
I guess, I will have to pay closer attention. :grin:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I had a camera without EFSC the A7r and I'm not going down that path again. I'm out although this does have promise for Leica folks. Also the CS being left out is not good. That was a advantage having that leaf shutter ability