The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Q vs Rx1r II

V

Vivek

You cannot really fault them and basing arguments on specs will not help.

Louis, When I find the RX1R II edges out the A7s in terms of DR and is close to it in low light performance (with no banding worries!), yes the specs do stand out. :)

biglouis

Louis, When I find the RX1R II edges out the A7s in terms of DR and is close to it in low light performance (with no banding worries!), yes the specs do stand out. :)
That is interesting to know. I will probably upgrade to the A7RII next year and I wonder to what extent I will still want my A7S when that happens. I find myself reaching for the A7S more often than the A7R. I do agree about the banding issues on the A7S, very disappointing and has let me down at least once quite seriously, although only in artificial light.

I think my point is that individuals can spend too much time worrying about specs and agreed that digital cameras all have their foibles, some are better at some things than others, but it is better to make a choice and enjoy it rather than spend too much time worrying about if you have the best out there.

LouisB

V

Vivek

Point taken, Louis. I referred to the banding from Leica cams (poor low light capabilities) and not the one from A7s when the silent shutter mode is used. :)

biglouis

Point taken, Louis. I referred to the banding from Leica cams (poor low light capabilities) and not the one from A7s when the silent shutter mode is used. :)
I've yet to see any banding in low light with the Q and I have shot up to 12500 with it. Did I get lucky or something? I got really bad banding at my nieces wedding using the silent shutter on the A7S and ruined a number of photographs not realising what was happening.

LouisB

V

Vivek

I am toying with the idea of adding a suitable WA converter to my RX1R II. It appears that the Sony SEL075UWA (0.75X) with a little mod is the best bet (source: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1369103). Since the converter itself swallows 1 stop, there is no chance of any practical use wider than f/8 (so, no match for the Q).

Has anyone done exploration in this regard (RX or Q) with add on optical converters?

algrove

That is interesting to know. I will probably upgrade to the A7RII next year and I wonder to what extent I will still want my A7S when that happens. I find myself reaching for the A7S more often than the A7R. I do agree about the banding issues on the A7S, very disappointing and has let me down at least once quite seriously, although only in artificial light.

I think my point is that individuals can spend too much time worrying about specs and agreed that digital cameras all have their foibles, some are better at some things than others, but it is better to make a choice and enjoy it rather than spend too much time worrying about if you have the best out there.

LouisB
Be patient as it could be called the A7RIII or IV model by next year.

V

Vivek

Since (from your posts on the Sony thread) you seem to have both the Q and the RX1R II, Lou, any experience with add on optical converters on either one?

algrove

Since (from your posts on the Sony thread) you seem to have both the Q and the RX1R II, Lou, any experience with add on optical converters on either one?
No, sorry, I like what each company developed. Got the Sony to see how a 42MP camera handles as far as my technique is concerned before thinking further of getting an ILC Sony A7xxxx. My main use will be for street use, like you.

I must admit our weather has been so lousy that I have barely used the RX, but that should change soon. What I know is that my technique had better get better with the RX since I can often get sloppy with my technique when using a 24MP camera and seem to get away with that lousy technique.

I've yet to see any banding in low light with the Q and I have shot up to 12500 with it. Did I get lucky or something? I got really bad banding at my nieces wedding using the silent shutter on the A7S and ruined a number of photographs not realising what was happening.

LouisB
First of all, I think this issue was over hyped with the Q. It seems that with the original firmware, there was banding in shadows if you pushed them something like 3 stops. Have to say that if you need to push your shadows that much for correct exposure, you should be blaming yourself instead of the camera. And secondly this "issue" has apparently been significantly improved in the new firmware release to the extent that people previously complaining about it are now happy with it.

So, I'm not surprised you've never noticed it! You're likely to know your exposure better than that :p

//Juha

V

Vivek

The price difference has become nearly insignificant here! :shocked:

~ 500 Euros higher for the heavier Q.

Zony user

The price difference has become nearly insignificant here! :shocked:

~ 500 Euros higher for the heavier Q.
500 Euros is like spare change for the posters here :D

And you have to consider the perception that paying 3500 euros for a Sony is expensive by any stretch, whereas 4000 euros for a Leica is considered a relative bargain.

V

Vivek

I am not privy to the "spare change" details of anyone.

They both are bloody expensive! Atrociously priced!

The Sony is a "bargain" when you consider a 250€ thumb grip or a 189€ lens hood!

ramosa

Well, I ended up getting a Q and now am selling it (see Buy/Sell section). In amazingly quick fashion, I learned that 28mm doesn't well fit the way I see ...

The day girls start to worry about gear, I'll go with Men. I'm serious. Hopefully, this day is far away !

Baiting ppl with the argument "girls like this camera" is so over the top than it trigger my inner misanthropy.
As Cam said, you aren't hanging out with the right girls. Let's be real here, the comment was just a bit a flavor, although I'm sure there are some who deep down will admit to a camera vanity. Honestly, I could care less. If I did, I'd be shooting an old film M body and wearing it to the coffee shop.

V

Vivek

As Cam said, you aren't hanging out with the right girls. Let's be real here, the comment was just a bit a flavor, although I'm sure there are some who deep down will admit to a camera vanity. Honestly, I could care less. If I did, I'd be shooting an old film M body and wearing it to the coffee shop.
A coffee shop, here, in the Netherlands, is a totally different place. ;)

You are likely to encounter tourists like this (shot with a RX1R II).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

cam

Bumping this thread to see opinions now that the dust has settled...

Which camera did people get and how are they feeling about it now? Any regrets?

TIA

TIA
I cannot say enough good things about the RX1R2. It goes with me nearly everywhere (I have five batteries!). Though I did consider the Q for a moment, it's pretty charming in it's own way... I knew 28mm is never going to be a 35mm lens, and if I shoot it in crop mode, well I might as well get an X100T. On the RX1R2, I've even used it on an engagement shoot and with eye-af it was flawless. Because of the flip screen and and angle of view, it feels like I'm shooting a digital Rolleiflex. It is without a doubt the best 35mm lens I've ever used. If you favor a 35, or plan on taking portraits, well I think the choice is clear. That's without mentioning that the sensor nearly keeps up with my 645z. It's that good. True the interface is kind of fiddly, but adapt or die as they say. I customized it to my liking, and that's still evolving somewhat.

V

Vivek

TIA
Absolute delight with the RX1R II. :thumbs:

No regrets overlooking the Q. :)

Who has the best camera? The verdict is clear. :)

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

RX1R II, The Hague