The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Q vs Rx1r II

I like the work others have done with Qs, but I never considered one for myself because 35mm is my 'prime' lens and I didn't like the idea of cropping files to a smaller size that could affect image quality (aiming usually for 14x21" prints).

I've recently acquired an RX1rII and willingly paid the full price for it – I saw discounted and 'open box' offers for $2800 or so, but I was afraid of acquiring one from the early light-leaking series. I've added a Metro Case grip that makes it handier, and a Fotodiox hood that's much more reasonably priced than Sony's. Tim Isaac wrote that he's making a ThumbsUp to fit, available perhaps later this month. (I've ordered a $25 Chinese one to use in the meantime.) And I quickly acquired 4 extra Wasabi batteries from Amazon. I don't much mind the battery life, because I'm a survivor of 36-exposure rolls. I do, though, think it's a design mistake, because the body is too small for me to handle comfortably without a grip – and a built-in grip might have made room for a larger NEX/A7 series battery.

I'm especially happy with the R2 for several reasons:

--With grip and wrist strap, it becomes almost as handy as my old M4.
--My A7rII and R2 have the same sensor, so I can easily process files from both and slip them into the same portfolio.
--The lens' wide-open rendering in BW looks a lot like a classic Leitz/Leica lens.
--The image quality, especially the tonal rendering in BW, is superb. In the image below it looks to me almost like medium-format film from my old Rolleis. What I have in mind is (1) highlight and shadow extension, (2) the way details like buttons, stitches, and fingernails resolve, and (3) the smooth tonal transitions in clothing. On the other hand, the lens doesn't seem to exaggerate the pores-and-nose-hairs level of detail that IMO fixes the viewer's eyes on the surface of a print and undercuts a sense of the subject's three-dimensionality. This may not be obvious here on the web, but I believe it's apparent in prints.

My only problem with the camera is that it's too easy to shoot! It reminds me of when I tried a Fuji X100T and sprayed the world with shutter-clicks because it was so easy with AF to point-&-shoot. I was substituting quantity for quality. So my current effort with the R2 is to use it more deliberately, with some patience and judgment that might measure up to its IQ.

Kirk

StanAtInspirationPoint.jpg

(I posted the photo before on the Sony BW thread. It's a portrait of a hiking senior citizen (age 95), and I was trying to honor the style of August Sander.)

Last edited:
I got the Q with the Leica grip & Gordy's wrist strap. Perfect combo for me and the IQ never seizes to amaze me. Still not 100% with the 28mm lens, but it doesn't annoy me.

When I occasionally nail a shot, the results are truly rewarding. And the camera is fantastic to handle & operate.

//Juha

I would call this discussion a 'conclusive draw.' Both have many very strong points and a few drawbacks, but the weightiest factor seems to be whether one prefers to work with 28 or 35mm. This depends simply on the eyes of the beholder. :)

Kirk

cam

I truly appreciate everybody who's shared their opinions and photos with me.

I own the original RX1 w/the VF and was possibly considering a trade-in to upgrade -- but then someone put their arm around me whilst we were out at night and the camera took a nosedive, lens first, onto the cobbles (the dangers of a light camera). Luckily, I am short, the cap was on and the camera is built like a brick. It's still functioning, aside from the ability to MF (which was never very comfortable to use, imo). Whatever, the camera is definitely mine forever now and do I really need two RX1s? ... Your raves on the sensor, however, make me want to check out v. 2!

I have gotten to test out the Q on two very different occasions, both where I was quite distracted (which I won't go into)... The takeaway, though, was that it was much more comfortable and user friendly than the RX1 and the MF when I needed was just a joy! Unfortunately, it's also an awfully big camera. It would always have to be on my shoulder whereas the RX1 (especially the new one) fits in a small pouch and/or my jacket pocket (where it should have been that night when mine took a tumble).

Whilst I can't afford either camera right now (I'll be looking used), I am searching for the ONE camera I can happily take with me on holidays so I can leave my MM at home and travel lightly... I need something that will take me from day to night, especially night (thank you, Vivek, for that shot in difficult light). The original RX1 was not quite right, but the new one could be from what you all say... As can the Q.

I'm back to the States next week and may give lensrentals a shot and try out both cameras for a few days.

Again, thank you all!

And I wouldn't mind more photos, especially night ones of people. It's so much nicer to see and compare in one thread rather than going back and forth from forums.

V

Vivek

Cam, yes, it is the low light performance that could put the RX1R II over the top. No banding unlike the other camera!

Cam, yes, it is the low light performance that could put the RX1R II over the top. No banding unlike the other camera!
Carefull with that statement!

First of all, most of the so called "banding issue" with the Q has to my knowledge been fixed in the latest firmware. Second, even though Sony might have advantage on high iso - Leica has slightly faster lens and also Sony's double megapixels make it much hardwr to hand hold. So in practical terms, which camera really rules the night?? Answer might be surprising.. :lecture:

The size is definitely on Sony side, if pocketability is a concern. But again, does that make the Sony less stable to hold - again coming back to low light, slow shutter speed...

The best thing to do is to use lensrentals, if that's a possibility and really try out both. Then pick which suites you better.

For me, Q is very similar to handle than the M but with AF. In that sense it would make a nice pair for the MM.

//Juha

V

Vivek

For me, Q is very similar to handle than the M but with AF. In that sense it would make a nice pair for the MM.

//Juha
From a banding point of view, yes, that makes sense. The MM also shows banding in certain circumstances not seen in the RX1R II.

Paratom

Yes, MM really disappoints badly in low light:toocool:

IMO most banding problems are problems of wrong exposure in the first step. Except maybe HDR lovers.

cam

Yes, MM really disappoints badly in low light:toocool:

IMO most banding problems are problems of wrong exposure in the first step. Except maybe HDR lovers.
I have the original MM (CCD) and rarely, if ever, get banding in low light... I do, however, wish I had brought out my old 50/1 rather than the Summicron as I really do like to shoot impossible light.

I did get banding on some of the Q shots when I tried it, but it was totally operator error. There was a very brightly lit pool with people around it in darkness. I have absolutely no idea how I set up metering, nor did I ever stop to check the exposure. I just was shooting everything and anything, most about two stops under in the end... Mea culpa.

On the plus side, focus was surprisingly accurate.

I highly doubt I will ever get myself into a situation like that night again -- on top of which I think someone slipped something into my drink (that I wisely chose to merely sip) -- so I am anxious to try the Q (and the newer RX1) in situations that are more my norm.

Again, I really appreciate everybody's input.

I think, more than anything, I'm looking for a camera that makes me excited to shoot again.

Paratom

Sure, you sold yours. ;)
Yes, but just to get the newer MM, because I prefer the CMOS b&W color rendering over ccd ;)

But frienkly in regards of Q vs RX1 (and I only have experience with the first generation RX1) my opinion is both are great capable cameras. For me the biggest difference was focal length and user interface.

I sold both since I found both cameras not small enough to justify to be bound to just one focal length. (And yes, there are many occasions where I like to use 50mm) Both dont fit in a pocket of a shirt or a pant, so not that much more compact in real life handling vs a Leica M with a small lens.

In regard of a compact camera I find a Ricoh grd, or a Nikon A or a Leica X2 more interesting, maybe not FF IQ but its really compact.

JorisV

It is the light leak in the EVF (RX1R II ) and how they responded to me that makes Sony as a company more attractive to me. :)
I have shot the Sony A7s and I have no desire to go back, thank you... :)

Also, after more than 10,000 pictures banding has not been an issue for me...

Provided one is OK with a fixed 28mm focal length the Leica Q is just about the best camera on the market right now IMHO.

V

Vivek

Joris 10, 000 pics? Do share some. I have been using the RX1R II for street snps since its debut, almost every day (except for a few weeks of forced break) but it will be a while before I hit the 10K mark!

JorisV

Joris 10, 000 pics? Do share some. I have been using the RX1R II for street snps since its debut, almost every day (except for a few weeks of forced break) but it will be a while before I hit the 10K mark!
As you know the first 10,000 are the worst though... ;)

silver92b

I agonized over making a choice for a camera such as the Sony RX1 or the Q. I read and watched all manner of videos and reviews, etc. What I decided to do was to purchase a Q that someone is selling.. This takes all the price advantage of the Sony away :grin:
But really, what I found was that I shoot a "lot" with my 28mm Elmarit on my M240. I rarely use the 35mm and as much as I like the 50 'Lux, it's just a bit too long.... I'm picking up my "new" used Q this weekend in person. I'm looking forward to doing some street shooting in Miami and hopefully South Beach at night (if I find a way to get there without driving).

I must admit that I am swayed by the opinions of the likes of Ming Tein and I was totally impressed by the sample images I've seen of the Q taken by excellent photographers. Granted, my results are not going look like that specially at the beginning, but I feel confident that the Q will give me great satisfaction for capturing images which is what I like to do. Another thing that influenced me greatly is the opinion of a good friend and fellow photographer. He got into the RF game with a M8 and was totally unhappy, bought the RX1 and basically hated it for several reasons which made perfect sense to me. The new RX1 is of course a better unit since it has the built in EVF, and corrected some of the previous faults.

Coming from the M43 side of things we were both quite the fans of Olympus, the bodies, the glass, everything. But when we went to the Leica M420, we did not look back. Simply, the feel and the quality is just at another level. One of the things that I love about the Leica M and I think I will like about the Q is the simple menus and the paucity of programmable buttons, etc, etc. Maybe I'm just and old fuddy duddy, or hopelessly behind the times, but I really hate the Japanese mania with those menus within menus within menus. It's so difficult to navigate and set all the stuff up. I'm selling my EM-1 and all my M43 stuff, and I won't miss screwing around with those (quite simple compared to the Sony) menus. I'm sure the Sony is a fine instrument, and in the proper hands it's probably brilliant but for me it's a waste and a bother. I don't shoot movies and I don't like futzing with controls. Give me a simple camera to use and put Leica glass in front and I'm happy. :cool: