Site Sponsors
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 500 of 886

Thread: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

  1. #451
    Senior Member Robert Campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Hi there!

    A few questions about the SL.

    I used an R4 many years ago, with a ground glass screen. I found the viewfinder good, and easy to use. I read that the SL has a viewfinder that may well be better than the best found in (D)SLRs. Can this really be correct? Is the SL viewfinder really so much better? I find the EVF on the M240 to be "not bad", and more or less good enough for my needs. And I prefer using a reflex-type viewfinder than an rangefinder; up to now I haven't had much choice with Leica, well not one that I choose to afford. As well as the R4, I also had an M3 and an M4; I much preferred the viewfinder of the M3, and I use a 1.25 magnifier on the M240.

    Secondly, an M240 with EVF is about 725g, while an SL is about 850g. Would I notice this in practice? – I have significant neck problems, bad enough to lead to my premature retirement. I found a Canon 5DII with the 24-105 standard lens simply to heavy to sling around my neck. Might I have problems with an SL and M lenses?

    With the R4, my favourite lens was a 90mm f/2; the combination seemed 'balanced'. Would an SL with M lenses still feel 'balanced', or does it feel better with, say, R lenses which are usually heavier?

    Call me a superficial heretic, but I can't really see the Leica look that you all can; I just find, and found, that they were and are delightful instruments with a particular tactile pleasure. There are no dealers anywhere close for me to try the camera out – though I doubt if I'd want the 24-90 zoom – too heavy.

    Thanks for any advice/suggestions!
    Sláinte

    Robert.

  2. #452
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,573
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    Hi there!

    A few questions about the SL.

    I used an R4 many years ago, with a ground glass screen. I found the viewfinder good, and easy to use. I read that the SL has a viewfinder that may well be better than the best found in (D)SLRs. Can this really be correct? Is the SL viewfinder really so much better? I find the EVF on the M240 to be "not bad", and more or less good enough for my needs. And I prefer using a reflex-type viewfinder than an rangefinder; up to now I haven't had much choice with Leica, well not one that I choose to afford. As well as the R4, I also had an M3 and an M4; I much preferred the viewfinder of the M3, and I use a 1.25 magnifier on the M240.

    Secondly, an M240 with EVF is about 725g, while an SL is about 850g. Would I notice this in practice? – I have significant neck problems, bad enough to lead to my premature retirement. I found a Canon 5DII with the 24-105 standard lens simply to heavy to sling around my neck. Might I have problems with an SL and M lenses?

    With the R4, my favourite lens was a 90mm f/2; the combination seemed 'balanced'. Would an SL with M lenses still feel 'balanced', or does it feel better with, say, R lenses which are usually heavier?

    Call me a superficial heretic, but I can't really see the Leica look that you all can; I just find, and found, that they were and are delightful instruments with a particular tactile pleasure. There are no dealers anywhere close for me to try the camera out – though I doubt if I'd want the 24-90 zoom – too heavy.

    Thanks for any advice/suggestions!
    Hi Robert,
    I would say the SL is the best EVF on the market and I would think manual focus works fine and slightly better than with a FF OVF from a DSLR.
    If you find a 5dIII+24-105 too heavy you sure do NOT want to get the 24-90 Leica lens.
    Regarding M+EVF vs SL....I dont think 100 or 150g make much of a difference.
    I find the handling SL with M lenses fine / balanced, even my 50APO looks a little small on the SL.
    Overall I think its still easier to focus 35 and 50mm rangefinder lenses on the M with rangefinder, maybe 75 and 90 could be easier / more accurate to focus on the SL.

    If I was planning to just use M lenses I would probably rather use the M than the SL, but thats really a matter of taste.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #453
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Wing View Post
    Godfrey,

    That is great to know. Does it also have lens correction, like Lightroom, or is that a thing of the past for Aperture?

    Doc Wing
    If Aperture performed raw-conversion-time lens correction, then it should be the same in Photos; for instance, for Micro-FourThirds cameras*that have lens corrections injected as part of the raw metadata.

    I don't see the notion of post-raw-conversion "lens profiles" or such things in Photos like Lightroom has, but then I don't know whether Aperture ever had those things either.

    Again, I feel Lightroom 6.3 is, at the present time, the best image processing environment for the Leica SL since it explicitly has appropriate camera calibration profiles for the SL body and recognizes (applies automatic corrections for) the Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm lens as well.

    G

  4. #454
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by roanic View Post
    Thanks for the original capture! I'm finding the corners rather disappointing, but I don't have the 19mm, not sure how it is supposed to behave (I would love to see how on the same image it would behave when stopped down a little). My favorite wide lens on the M is the 21mm super elmar, which is just crazy sharp and pop even wide open (...at f/3.4, but hey!) -- I'm hoping it will behave ok on the SL, but if not I'd like to find another good wide lens for the SL. The 19mm R sadly does not seem to do it (from this pic).
    I have a set of quickie lens tests I did with all my R lenses. The 19mm performs quite well on center at f/2.8; corners and edges improve greatly between f/4 and f/5.6. Overall performance seems best at f/8—not surprising for a fast ultra-wide-angle lens.

    I don't think it's worth dwelling on too much, but it out-performs the Nikkor 18mm f/3.5 AI-S by a bit (the Nikkor gets close at f/8 but is never quite the same) and its performance seems fairly similar in its curve to my brand-new Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH. Not a bad showing for a forty year old lens design... (Hurray to Walter Mandler! :-) I don't know of too many ultrawide lenses that don't improve a couple of stops down from wide-open.

    If I kept my quickie lens tests, I'll do some corner clips so you can see the performance variation as it goes from wide-open to fully-stopped-down. I'll see if I can find them this evening.

    G

  5. #455
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    Hi there!

    A few questions about the SL.
    ...
    Some responses, I don't know about "advice".

    • I rate the SL EVF right up there with the R8 optical reflex finder used with no aids or overlays. It has some advantages beyond the R8 as well: brighter in dim circumstances which enables you to see DoF easily, magnification and peaking focusing assists, Live Histogram, overlays for grid and two axis level, etc. The SL's EVF has quite a bit better resolution and much better refresh rate compared to the M/M-P typ 240 EVF.
    • The weight difference is four ounces. If you want to know whether this is going to bug your neck, add a four ounce weight to your M240 and see what it does. It doesn't matter to me, but I only rarely put any camera around my neck like that.
    • My only 90mm M-mount lens is the diminutive M-Rokkor 90mm f/4; it feels a little small on the SL (but is still a fine performer). The Summicron-R 90mm f/2 feels perfectly balanced on the SL, as it should because the SL and the Leicaflex SL that the Summicron-R 90 was originally designed for are just about the same size, shape, and weight. I prefer the overall feel and balance of the SL used with R lenses, so far; I've not used my M-mount lenses on it very much yet.


    My experience with Leica SLRs is limited to the Leicaflex SL and the R8, I never owned or worked with any of the R3 to R7 models. The Leica SL, to me, carries the R camera tradition embodied by those two models forward nicely to the next generation.

    (And yes, the 24-90 zoom is a bit of a howitzer in size and weight. I'll get to work with it one of these days; I'm so far enjoying the R lenses too much. :-)

    G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 10th December 2015 at 07:00.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  6. #456
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Godfrey or Jono -- a quick question. I've set auto ISO with max ISO 1600 and max shutter speed of either 1/60 or (later) 1/2F. As the light fades or I shut down the f stop, in A mode, first the shutter speed drops to, say, 1/60. Then the ISO increases (in rigid steps of 1 ev, stopping at some strange value) and then the camera underexposes, staying at max ISO and 1/60. In the Ms the shutter speed would continue to drop when the light level is not sufficient. What have I set wrong? Are the auto ISO limits rigid in the SL?

    I could work around this by setting a lower min shutter speed, but then I would drop to that speed at min ISO before beginning to increase ISO. The way it works in the Ms seems the right way.

    scott

  7. #457
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    Godfrey or Jono -- a quick question. I've set auto ISO with max ISO 1600 and max shutter speed of either 1/60 or (later) 1/2F. As the light fades or I shut down the f stop, in A mode, first the shutter speed drops to, say, 1/60. Then the ISO increases (in rigid steps of 1 ev, stopping at some strange value) and then the camera underexposes, staying at max ISO and 1/60. In the Ms the shutter speed would continue to drop when the light level is not sufficient. What have I set wrong? Are the auto ISO limits rigid in the SL?

    I could work around this by setting a lower min shutter speed, but then I would drop to that speed at min ISO before beginning to increase ISO. The way it works in the Ms seems the right way.
    Yes, AutoISO behaves this way in the SL: when you're past the range you've set, you'll get underexposure. When you switch to a fixed ISO setting, the exposure times will lengthen to maintain proper exposure ... up to a point. As you close down the aperture more and more with adapted lenses in low light, you'll run into the range limits of the metering system—at which point you'll get underexposure again. You can see this happening when using Manual exposure mode too. There comes a point where you're past the range limits of the metering system (because it's trying to meter with the lens stopped down) and that ultimately results in underexposure if you follow the meter's recommendations.

    With the SL's 24-90 lens, this doesn't happen until you're in MUCH lower light because the lens is held wide open at viewing/metering time, normally.

    I wrote about this behavior on the LUF a week or two ago. No one commented. The SL seems a bit tighter on range limits with adapted lenses than some other cameras, but I've seen the same behavior with other cameras to which I've adapted my lenses.

    BTW: It would be nice to ask questions like this in threads separate from the "Fun with the Leica SL" thread. Nearly all SL questions and opinions have all been going into just this one thread, which I thought was supposed to be about sharing photos made with the SL like other "fun with ..." threads. Can we put pictures here and discussion/questions/etc into other threads that pertain to the specific topic of discussion?

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #458
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    The SL can work in bad light. Following Godfrey's suggestion, I switched to fixed ISO, A mode, while shooting around the Congress Center here in Montreal last night. Here's one at the resulting 1/50 sec:

    L1000077 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

    Super-Elmarit-R 15@ f/4. And inside the poster session, amid 3000 people anxious to explain their ideas

    L1000062 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

    scott
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #459
    Senior Member Robert Campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Some responses, I don't know about "advice"...

    G
    Thanks, Godfrey!

    And my apologies for hijacking this thread with questions.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    I would say the SL is the best EVF on the market...
    Thanks for the help!
    Sláinte

    Robert.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #460
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Montreal Vielle Ville

    All with the APO SC-R 90 asph:

    L1000104 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr
    (oops, missed focus on that one)
    L1000105 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

    Finding a different sort of antique:

    L1000110 1 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

    L1000100 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

    GPS information looks accurate on all of these.

    scott
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #461
    Senior Member ryc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Or-Y-Gun
    Posts
    547
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    This is why
    These are all shot at f4, on a tripod, from a distance of a couple of km - this is a 100% crop from the bottom left corner of the images.

    Attachment 114558
    Attachment 114559
    Attachment 114560
    Attachment 114561

    There will be more later (I'm doing an article on it) , but this probably answers your question
    This looks to me like a poor adapter on the sony.

    I played with a 50 lux on my Sony and the results were far better than what you are showing with your lux which makes me think its a bad setup.

    Sonylux. A quick overview of the A7II and Leica Summilux 50 | JORGE TORRALBA

    This one is hand held with an A72 same pixels more or less as the SL

    follow this link top see full rez. http://www.leicaimages.com/gallery/4...0785.SEQ.0.jpg the photo renders compressed on here so it does not look as sharp.


    JT --

    CameraPeddler


    My Gallery
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #462
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    I was carrying the M-P today and it dawned on me another huge difference between the M-P and the SL: close focusing. I had a Nokton 40mm f/1.4 MC on the M-P and almost nothing I pointed the camera at was far enough away to be photographed...

    Funny that you can forget such a basic and simple thing... :-)

    G

  13. #463
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    There is a dearth of new photos on this thread. :-(
    Time to fix that, a little bit... :-)

    More of my squares, this time with the Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4. In Hasselblad terms, this lens has the same field of view as the Makro-Planar 120mm f/4 T*.


    Leica SL + Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4
    ISO 400 @ f/11 @ 1/100
    full rez:
    https://farm1.staticflickr.com/592/2...6e2ae266_o.jpg


    Leica SL + Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4
    ISO 400 @ f/1.4 @ 1/3200
    full rez:
    https://farm1.staticflickr.com/695/2...eaf1f745_o.jpg

    I love how the rendering with this lens changes from wide open as you close it down. Another lovely Walter Mandler design.

    enjoy!

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #464
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,573
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    There is a dearth of new photos on this thread. :-(
    Time to fix that, a little bit... :-)

    More of my squares, this time with the Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4. In Hasselblad terms, this lens has the same field of view as the Makro-Planar 120mm f/4 T*.


    Leica SL + Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4
    ISO 400 @ f/11 @ 1/100
    full rez:
    https://farm1.staticflickr.com/592/2...6e2ae266_o.jpg


    Leica SL + Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4
    ISO 400 @ f/1.4 @ 1/3200
    full rez:
    https://farm1.staticflickr.com/695/2...eaf1f745_o.jpg

    I love how the rendering with this lens changes from wide open as you close it down. Another lovely Walter Mandler design.

    enjoy!

    G
    Hi G
    I like those images. I get the feeling you might be served well with a Hassy and a CVF if you like the square and Hasselblad so much. Best, Tom
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  15. #465
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Hi G
    I like those images. I get the feeling you might be served well with a Hassy and a CVF if you like the square and Hasselblad so much. Best, Tom
    I have a Hasselblad (2 of them). Love it. But it's neither as flexible nor as capable of all my photographic efforts as the SL is. And the digital backs rob it of its full format, unless the CFV is 56x56 mm.

    It makes more sense to me to have the Leica SL, with FF, Square, 16:9, and movie capture all together, to put to whatever use I want. :-)

    G

  16. #466
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,573
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I have a Hasselblad (2 of them). Love it. But it's neither as flexible nor as capable of all my photographic efforts as the SL is. And the digital backs rob it of its full format, unless the CFV is 56x56 mm.

    It makes more sense to me to have the Leica SL, with FF, Square, 16:9, and movie capture all together, to put to whatever use I want. :-)

    G
    I understand and its not difficult to see that you have a lot of fun with the SL.

  17. #467
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    No interest in this ? FIRMWARE LEICA SL (TYP 601) (1.2)
    Bart ...

  18. #468
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    No interest in this ? FIRMWARE LEICA SL (TYP 601) (1.2)
    Downloaded about an hour ago. Firmware v1.2 loaded without problems. None of my settings were lost.

    Looking at the content summary:

    1 Improved handling for MF lenses: AE/AF Lock button now zooms into 100% instead of AE Lock function to
    2 Improved of overall image quality for ISO 50 - ISO 400
    3 Improved L-Log curve for use for internal 8bit video recordings
    4 Improved overall image quality of the view nder
    5 Bug x: correct EXIF Data for use of R-lenses
    6 Bug x: length of Wi-Fi passwords extended
    What I see so far:

    1 - Magnification assist on the AE/AF Lock button (joystick) works for M and R lenses, otherwise AE/AF Lock button configuration is as before for the SL 24-90. This makes perfect sense AFAIC. AE-Lock with manual lenses is via the shutter release half-press only, which makes sense to me since the button press wasn't a toggle anyway.

    2,3,4 - Time will tell whether these makes a difference to me. I've not had any problems with ISO 50-400 quality, I haven't used the L-Log curve (or video) at all so far, and I'm not sure I see much difference in the viewfinder.

    5 - The EXIF data for my R lenses has all been correct with fw1.1, and the lens code processing has worked just fine. That includes

    11225 Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 v1 3cam
    11221 Elmarit-R 24mm f/2.8 3cam
    11115 Summicron-R 35mm f/2 v2 3cam
    11675 - 11776 - 11777 - 11875 Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4 3cam
    11228 Summicron-R 50mm f/2 1cam
    11212 Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8 3cam
    11219 - 11254 Summicron-R 90mm f/2 3cam
    11111 Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8 3cam
    11919 Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 v1 2cam
    11922 Elmar-R 180mm f/4 3cam
    11920 Telyt-R 250mm f/4 3cam

    to date. It will take me some time to check and see that FW1.2 didn't change anything there.

    6 - I'll have to check whether WiFi via my home network works correctly yet. Perhaps this evening. Last time I tried to use it, I was not able to find the SL on the network even though it seemed to be connected. Using the SL as a hotspot has worked without any problems.

    Presumably there are some other fixes, etc, that whomever authorized the release notes didn't deem to be significant enough to remark about. I'll see how the camera works going forward. Otherwise, I'm good with it; it's not really a very big deal.

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  19. #469
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    I understand and its not difficult to see that you have a lot of fun with the SL.
    Quite seriously, if Leica or anyone else were designing a camera specifically for me, they would be darn close to the mark with the SL exactly as is.
    This makes me happy.

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #470
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    2 Improved of overall image quality for ISO 50 - ISO 400
    Isn't that peculiar ? What is the native ISO ?
    Bart ...

  21. #471
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Improved of overall image quality for ISO 50 - ISO 400
    Isn't that peculiar ? What is the native ISO ?
    I suspect it's ISO 100, but the difference between ISO 50 and ISO 100 is virtually nonexistent as far as I have seen with respect to noise and/or dynamic range. Presuming ISO 50 is a pull, it's very very well implemented.

    William Claff posted some Leica SL typ 601 read noise readings recently: Read Noise in DNs versus ISO Setting
    What you can see from that curve is that read noise rises rather abruptly from ISO 50 to 200, then falls off again and doesn't hit the same read noise level as at ISO 200 until just shy of ISO 1600. The shape of the curve, he told me, generally indicates that this sensor has a "two-stage" amplifier design, one for the very low ISOs and the other from middle range up.

    I would presume that, if this curve is truly reflective of read noise, Leica might have put some effort into smoothing the transition more and maybe reduced the peak between 100 and 400. It would be interesting to do a re-check of the read noise with William's setup on an SL with firmware v1.2 installed.

    G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 14th December 2015 at 18:58.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  22. #472
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ISO 50 and an ultra-wide angle

    Here are a few from this morning on our hilltop in Jerusalem:

    L1000345 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

    L1000350 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

    L1000356 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

    L1000369 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

    L1000371 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

    Elmarit-asph R [email protected]/5.6 corners are fine.

    scott
    Last edited by scott kirkpatrick; 16th December 2015 at 00:18.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #473
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    ​I just borrowed the Leica T23mm lens from a friend that owns the Leica T. I took it to downtown Rochester and took a few pics with it on the Leica SL. To compare, I shot the same pics with my beloved MATE Tri-Elmar also. The images were virtually indistinguishable on the computer.

    ​I then printed them on A3 paper and the prints were virtually indistinguishable also. I have no doubt that it would have made a difference if I was printing at dramatically larger sizes but I never do. Below is the image I snapped with the Leica T23mm and printed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dec 9 16.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	758.7 KB 
ID:	115129  
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #474
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,573
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Wing View Post
    ​I just borrowed the Leica T23mm lens from a friend that owns the Leica T. I took it to downtown Rochester and took a few pics with it on the Leica SL. To compare, I shot the same pics with my beloved MATE Tri-Elmar also. The images were virtually indistinguishable on the computer.

    ​I then printed them on A3 paper and the prints were virtually indistinguishable also. I have no doubt that it would have made a difference if I was printing at dramatically larger sizes but I never do. Below is the image I snapped with the Leica T23mm and printed
    The size of the T-lenses on the SL is certainly very nice. If they implement some of the SL-features in the next generation T-boy would be great.

  25. #475
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Some with the APO Macro Elmarit-R 100

    This is an incredibly long-throw lens. Two full turns gets you to 2:1 image ratio. My attempts to photograph kitten acrobatics were a complete failure. But I can stalk a tree pretty effectively:

    L1000408 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

    L1000414 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

    L1000415 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

    scott
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #476
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Some with the APO Macro Elmarit-R 100

    Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    This is an incredibly long-throw lens. Two full turns gets you to 2:1 image ratio. My attempts to photograph kitten acrobatics were a complete failure. But I can stalk a tree pretty effectively:

    ...
    L1000415 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr
    I like this one quite a lot. A monochrome rendering might be interesting as well.

    G

  27. #477
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Some with the APO Macro Elmarit-R 100

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I like this one quite a lot. A monochrome rendering might be interesting as well.

    G
    Thanks. As it is, it only has two colors and white, so the purplish would be black and the green leaves silver. I can sorta see it.

    scott

  28. #478
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    584
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    I find those UWA shots really impressive, Scott.

    Only 420 of those 15mms made, I hope you give us some more samples

  29. #479
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ISO 50 and an ultra-wide angle

    Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    Here are a few from this morning on our hilltop in Jerusalem:

    {...snipped...}

    Elmarit-asph R [email protected]/5.6 corners are fine.
    Looks good, scott!

    I have an interesting shooting session in mind. I'm thinking to fit the Super-Elmar-R 15/3.5 on the SL with the SL set to square crop mode and then pull out the Hasselblad SWC to shoot the same set of twelve exposures for comparison.

    It will be interesting to see how the Biogon 38mm on 6x6 film compares to the SER15 on 1x1" digital.

    G

  30. #480
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ISO 50 and an ultra-wide angle

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Looks good, scott!

    I have an interesting shooting session in mind. I'm thinking to fit the Super-Elmar-R 15/3.5 on the SL with the SL set to square crop mode and then pull out the Hasselblad SWC to shoot the same set of twelve exposures for comparison.

    It will be interesting to see how the Biogon 38mm on 6x6 film compares to the SER15 on 1x1" digital.

    G
    Great idea, but a lot of stuff to be carrying around. I shot for a while with a vintage (i.e. flaky, spent a long time in the shop) SWC using color negative 6x6, HP5+, and finally a P45+ digital back (which makes it about 50x37 mm). I think I was trying to learn what makes the Sonoran desert come alive for Lee Friedlander. My desert was a building under construction, heaped with untidy piles of rebar, frameworks, forms, and all that. It was an interesting experience -- the lens scale wasn't trustworthy, so I had to focus bracket to get critical sharpness and didn't figure that out for a long time. I ended up doing most of the multi-year project with an M9 and a 21 for a consistent look. Anyway you seem to have a similar expectation for your "SWC".

    scott

  31. #481
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
    I find those UWA shots really impressive, Scott.

    Only 420 of those 15mms made, I hope you give us some more samples
    Mine was made in 2002, and still new in the box. Despite my general belief that R lens prices can be bargained down about 30%, this guy knew what he had, and there wasn't time for psychological warfare.

    The SL is a great platform for working with UWAs, like this one, the M's 18 SEM, and the R-19 (which I believe Godfrey is using). These lenses really reorganize space for you. Thinking back to work Friedlander has done with his SWC, I realize that he gets so far into the middle of things that different planes in space end up interacting through transparency. One of my pictures with the 15 in a conference center in Montreal has that flavor. Anyway, there are lots of things to try.

    scott

  32. #482
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ISO 50 and an ultra-wide angle

    Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    Great idea, but a lot of stuff to be carrying around. I shot for a while with a vintage (i.e. flaky, spent a long time in the shop) SWC using color negative 6x6, HP5+, and finally a P45+ digital back (which makes it about 50x37 mm). I think I was trying to learn what makes the Sonoran desert come alive for Lee Friedlander. My desert was a building under construction, heaped with untidy piles of rebar, frameworks, forms, and all that. It was an interesting experience -- the lens scale wasn't trustworthy, so I had to focus bracket to get critical sharpness and didn't figure that out for a long time. I ended up doing most of the multi-year project with an M9 and a 21 for a consistent look. Anyway you seem to have a similar expectation for your "SWC".
    The SWC and one A12 back fits in my Tenba Messenger Mini alongside the SL+SER15 if I juggle the dividers just right. That and the tripod are manageable for moderate length walks.

    I don't know if I'll have time to do this this weekend, schedules are getting pretty crazy, but next weekend for sure.. :-)

    G

  33. #483
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Garden shop and ...

    L1000459 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

    L1000469 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

    L1000482 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

    all with APO-Summicron-R 90 using the pre-APO profile

    scott
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #484
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,476
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Hi Scott,

    like your photos, would have liked even more to see the Flickr copies in order to check Exif data, but these are not allowed as they are priest. Maybe you can do something about it?

    Thanks

    Peter

  35. #485
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    Mine was made in 2002, and still new in the box. Despite my general belief that R lens prices can be bargained down about 30%, this guy knew what he had, and there wasn't time for psychological warfare.

    The SL is a great platform for working with UWAs, like this one, the M's 18 SEM, and the R-19 (which I believe Godfrey is using). These lenses really reorganize space for you. Thinking back to work Friedlander has done with his SWC, I realize that he gets so far into the middle of things that different planes in space end up interacting through transparency. One of my pictures with the 15 in a conference center in Montreal has that flavor. Anyway, there are lots of things to try.
    I have both the Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 v1 and the Super-Elmar-R 15mm f/3.5 now. Yes, I like the way you put that: they reorganize space. Can't wait to take the SER15 out on my walk tomorrow morning!

    G

  36. #486
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Hi Scott,

    like your photos, would have liked even more to see the Flickr copies in order to check Exif data, but these are not allowed as they are priest. Maybe you can do something about it?

    Thanks

    Peter
    I just put my selects into the Camera Roll page, double click on one, click on the "share" arrow and copy the BBcode link. When it then appears in the blog here, I can click on it and see a larger Flickr-hosted copy. But am I the only one with that privilege? I don't want to make albums for everything. Will I get a different result if I take the link from the copy that appears in photostream?

    scott

  37. #487
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    I just put my selects into the Camera Roll page, double click on one, click on the "share" arrow and copy the BBcode link. When it then appears in the blog here, I can click on it and see a larger Flickr-hosted copy. But am I the only one with that privilege? I don't want to make albums for everything. Will I get a different result if I take the link from the copy that appears in photostream?

    scott
    Scott, it seems all we get after clicking on your images is this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 21.56.54.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	115153  
    Bart ...

  38. #488
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    12,724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    40

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    He needs to change his privacy settings in order for you (without logging into flickr)to see larger versions.

  39. #489
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Scott, it seems all we get after clicking on your images is this:
    I found something deep in Flickr that I could change from "private" to "public". See if you click through to the recent shots now.

    scott

  40. #490
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    I found something deep in Flickr that I could change from "private" to "public". See if you click through to the recent shots now.

    scott
    Yep, that did the trick !
    Bart ...

  41. #491
    Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,507
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Shame you have to deal with the Yah-flickr push to sell Yahoo....

    http://gizmodo.com/5910223/how-yahoo...t-the-internet


    I spend little time there these days ....

    Bob

  42. #492
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,476
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    I just put my selects into the Camera Roll page, double click on one, click on the "share" arrow and copy the BBcode link. When it then appears in the blog here, I can click on it and see a larger Flickr-hosted copy. But am I the only one with that privilege? I don't want to make albums for everything. Will I get a different result if I take the link from the copy that appears in photostream?

    scott
    Hi Scott,

    works now fine! Many thanks indeed!

    Peter

  43. #493
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Shame you have to deal with the Yah-flickr push to sell Yahoo....

    http://gizmodo.com/5910223/how-yahoo...t-the-internet


    I spend little time there these days ....

    Bob
    I don't spend any time in Flickr or looking at any other parts of Flickr, but just use it for free storage as a place from which to export to this and other photoblogs. I used PBase for about 10 years for the same role. It just sells its services, rather than looking for opportunities to monetize my pictures, but it has gotten too expensive to load up further. I worry that PBase and Flickr will go away without much warning someday soon.

    What's your current favorite photo-sharing archival service that doesn't mess with your originals these days?

    scott
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  44. #494
    Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,507
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Scott,

    I use Zenfolio ... as an amateur I do not use any of its marketing tools but appreciate that a fee is worth keeping
    the site running so I do not have to duplicate all of my work in a move to another site.

    This is one of the possible sets for displaying set of photos ... and I have private sets for family photos. Have not updated this for
    quite a while ... need to upload a year or two of select photos.

    Robert E. Moore


    Regards,

    Bob

  45. #495
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,316
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    I also have used (and prefer) Zenfolio. I started using Flickr for linking to getDPI because I couldn't link to the higher resolution versions in Zenfolio that looked better on high-res displays. Any ZF picture I linked to from here looked soft. Perhaps they've fixed that.

    --Matt

  46. #496
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    I'll explore Zenfolio when things get really quiet in another week or two. But I have some full size shots to upload, and I'll see if the full resolution versions really do come down from Flickr (so that display at actual size exceeds my 23" home monitor).

    Here are two of them: I was shooting test shots for corner pixel-peeping, looking across a valley on a gloomy day at a new housing development and I'm quite impressed by the results from my little 35-70/4 Vario-Elmar zoom. One-fifth the price and probably about the same fraction of the weight and size of the stately 24-90 AF-Asph SL lens leader.

    First at 35, wide open, then at 70, stopped down to f/8.

    L1000517 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

    L1000520 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

    let's see what sizes come through.

    scott
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  47. #497
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    2,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Thanks scott. That's a great lens.
    My copy of it works well on an A7r2.
    I prefer using the 35-70 over the 28-90.

    I wonder though how the R80 does on the SL?
    That should be a stunner, no?
    With best regards, K-H.

  48. #498
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    Flickr? Been using it since 2008 or so. Works fine. I don't trouble myself with Yahoo's corporate aims or any of that nonsense. I enjoy meandering through some of the groups occasionally. Facebook? Ugh. Other services? Sure.

    Who really cares unless you have a specific purpose in mind? Flickr has enough flexibility in settings to do what I want for the moment. When I want something more, I'll set up my own website again.

    Now, ahem. Back to "Fun with the Leica SL" ...

    Truly enjoying the squares ...


    Leica SL + Elmarit-R 24mm f/2.8
    ISO 50 @ f/4 @ 1/500

    The Elmarit-R 24mm fitted to the SL set to square format nets the equivalent FoV of a Hasselblad 500CM with 50mm lens. And is fast enough to net the same DoF coupling ... f/4 in this setup would be about f/11 on the Hasselblad.

    It's raining today. Perhaps I'll use the SL 24-90 zoom on today's walk ... Weatherproof. I was going to go out with the Super-Elmar-R 15mm and do more squares, but weatherproof counts ...

    enjoy! G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #499
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Reorganizing space

    Here's an example of the difference that the Elmarit 15R can make. Compare this view with the one I posted before at 35 mm focal length:

    L1000504 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

    scott
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  50. #500
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

    A bit of fun answering the question ...


    Leica SL + Elmarit-R 24mm f/2.8 vs Leica SL + Super-Elmar-R 15mm f/3.5

    Comparison of 24mm vs 15mm lenses FoV.
    From SL body to mirrored doors is 1 meter; I put myself in the same plane.

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •