Site Sponsors
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

Thanks for the comments. I edited in a second try on the first and third picture. The middle picture is illuminated solely by a video game, so I left it alone. On the first one, I went back to Leica's recommended color temperature set by AWB, and on the third I cranked back the highlight and shadow sliders. That one is white balanced off the neutral wall in the background. Do these look better?

I'm rather Adobephobic -- when I put in my TAN number it tried to put me into a CC subscription, so I backed out and still don't have LR.

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I edited in a second try on the first and third picture. The middle picture is illuminated solely by a video game, so I left it alone. On the first one, I went back to Leica's recommended color temperature set by AWB, and on the third I cranked back the highlight and shadow sliders. That one is white balanced off the neutral wall in the background. Do these look better?

I'm rather Adobephobic -- when I put in my TAN number it tried to put me into a CC subscription, so I backed out and still don't have LR.
    The first picture seems a bit better but still rather red-pink. Indoor light generally tends to be more yellow, and if you have fluorescents, a bit greenish too. Getting skin tones correct with fluorescents is a PITA and usually end up with the scene having a mild, slightly green cast to it unless you do a lot more PP.

I don't understand Adobephobia ... It's just software.

The TAN number should net you the authorization code (looks like this: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX) to use with a downloaded Lightroom installer. The default web page for LR and PS always bring you to the CC page by default, so ignore it. Go instead to https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb...downloads.html and download the latest revision of LR, version 6.3, for your Windows or OS X system. Install it, then input the authorization code. That's it.

BTW, whenever you create a catalog, the default catalog has Adobe Cloud turned on. Be sure to wait until it shows the splash screen, click the button in the middle to turn it off, and then click Continue. They work hard to sell people subscriptions and cloud services these days, but I have no need of it and keep it turned off.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Elmarit-R 15/2.8 on the SL

At the edges of Jerusalem are huge cemeteries. Where I come from, we scatter the ashes of loved ones where we think they would like to rest, e.g. in gardens, but not here. It makes for great high resolution pixel peeping tests, and the scenery is pretty dramatic:

L1010150 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Here's the view north, showing the highway entering Jerusalem, the train bridge under construction (two sections of it), a newish suburb (Ramot), a Palestinian town (Beit Iksa) and a small mosque on the hilltop honoring the prophet Samuel (or Samwil, or Shmuel -- there is contention for this hilltop):

L1010154 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

The stones on the graves are a token of remembrance left by recent visitors.

scott

P.S. Oh, I did comparative shots with the R 15/2.8 and the M 18/3.8. They both work well deep in the corners, as long as depth of field permits.
    Last edited by scott kirkpatrick; 9th January 2016 at 09:05. Reason: corrected a spelling
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the Elmarit-R 15/2.8 on the SL

At the edges of Jerusalem are huge cemeteries. Where I come from, we scatter the ashes of loved ones where we think they would like to rest, e.g. in gardens, but not here. It makes for great high resolution pixel peeping tests, and the scenery is pretty dramatic:

L1010150 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Here's the view north, showing the highway entering Jerusalem, the train bridge under construction (two sections of it), a newish suburb (Ramot), a Palestinian town (Beit Iksa) and a small mosque on the hilltop honoring the prophet Samuel (or Samwil, or Shumuel -- there is contention for this hilltop):

L1010154 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

The stones on the graves are a token of remembrance left by recent visitors.

scott

Looking at those images has given me an "Ahhh" moment. The rather irregular rectangular pattern is very strikingly similar to the Holocaust monument in Berlin.
    Sláinte

Robert.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple more from the Palm Springs Air Museum ...

Leica SL + Super-Elmar-R 15mm f/3.5
    ISO 1600 @ f/3.5 @ 1/60

ISO 1600 @ f/3.5 @ 1/60

enjoy!
    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

(This is from the metal bridge above the river; the bridge is narrow and "weak" and vibrates a lot when traffic passes. There is a better viewpoint from the concrete "collar" around the base of the abutment, but this is several feet under water at present. I keep hoping to get access there, though the water level is receding only very slowly. With luck, at sunset, the sun sets in line with the river at this time of year, and there is a reflection along its length.)
    Sláinte

Robert.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Fishermen (and -women and -boys!) on the incoming tide this morning, with an interesting sky as the next potential storm rain moved in -- SL+Zuiko 35-80mm, f2.8 all at f8

@80mm

Name:  winter seascape-17.jpg
Views: 1754
Size:  267.2 KB

@35mm

Name:  winter seascape-18.jpg
Views: 1772
Size:  254.0 KB

@40mm

Name:  winter seascape-19.jpg
Views: 1780
Size:  250.0 KB

@80mm

Name:  winter seascape-20.jpg
Views: 1750
Size:  230.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

....... forgot to add that all were converted using Silver Efex ......

Post Thanks / Like

Re: More Fun with the Leica SL and R 15/2.8

Jared over on the LUF posted a very elegant picture of his Nespresso machine in operation, along with several weeks' supply of its capsules, and he was using this still life as a target for his APO-Elmarit-R 280, so everything compressed into a nice arrangement. Now let's try the other extreme -- Polish freeze-dried coffee made on an Israeli hot/cold filtered water machine, called a "Tami Arba."

L1010175 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

and here the 15 is reorganizing space in an interesting way:

L1010161 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

scott
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

ISO 400 @ f/3.5 @ 1/200

enjoy!
    G
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

SL with the 24-90.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Out to lunch at a pizza parlor yesterday, things and people around me...

Leica SL + Summicron-R 35mm f/2
    ISO 400 @ f/5.6 @ 1/60

ISO 320 @ f/2 @ 1/60

ISO 320 @ f/2.8 @ 1/60

enjoy!

G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 13th January 2016 at 07:58.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital) @135mm

Tried out the APO-Telyt M 135/3.4 today. It was singled out on TOP (TheOnlinePhotographer) as the single most useless focal length, so that was a challenge. First a portrait, of Leo, who resents being upstaged by a cute kitten that just adopted us

L1010190 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

and here is the sort of fire hydrant you can have when it is extremely unlikely to freeze in winter

L1010214 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

ISO 400 @ f/3.5 @ 1/125

enjoy!

G

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Leo has that look that has him thinking " dumb 135mm"...LOL. well I happen to like mine, so thats what I say to that! .

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital) with the unlikely APO-Telyt 135 M

Ever notice that even on bright sunny days, shadows have soft outlines?

L1010217 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

scott

Post Thanks / Like

Scott, great photos. My dad is buried in Haifa overlooking a soccer field, with a view of the sea. I have a few photos of his headstone that I took with an M6 and the CV15.

There are a few cemeteries here in South Florida off of the turnpike that I want to photograph. Just never had the guts. Glad you do. Very nice photos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikalWGrass View Post
    Scott, great photos. My dad is buried in Haifa overlooking a soccer field, with a view of the sea. I have a few photos of his headstone that I took with an M6 and the CV15.

There are a few cemeteries here in South Florida off of the turnpike that I want to photograph. Just never had the guts. Glad you do. Very nice photos.
    Thanks.
    Jewish cemeteries near Miami? Big, like this one, with everything above ground? I'd love to visit. French cemeteries are pleasant places to wander around, especially in the South. Lots of pictures and memorabilia. They are not really very forbidding to photograph in. You should try.

scott
    Last edited by scott kirkpatrick; 17th January 2016 at 07:27.

Post Thanks / Like

Scott, I don't think they are Jewish cemeteries but they look very interesting, nonetheless. There are Jewish cemeteries, and older cemeteries that hold the bones of the families that developed the area at the expense of what was then the local population. They tended to be buried in mausoleums instead of in ground graves. Guess they think it will be easier to slide out a heavy stone than dig out from 6 feet worth of dirt.

Anyway, there is a beautiful Jewish cemetery n Doral, FL, which took me by surprise.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital) with the unlikely APO-Telyt 135 M

Ever notice that even on bright sunny days, shadows have soft outlines?

scott

Sun is diffuse not a point source ...

http://sciencequestionswithsurprisin...shadow-blurry/

Regards,

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kitty POW

This scruffy little bundle of fur

L1010248 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

has gotten quite a bit bigger, mostly longer. Standing up,

L1010249 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

she rather resembles a weasel:

L1010255 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

SX 80 R @ 2.0 ISO 1000 1/80

scott
    Last edited by scott kirkpatrick; 18th January 2016 at 10:52.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of my 1:43 scale model cars ... Peugeot 504 and FIAT 128.

Feel free to visit Flickr.com and see the rest of this small set (eight in all): https://flic.kr/s/aHsksdEE5A

All photos made with the Leica SL + Leitz Focusing Bellows R + Macro-Elmar-R 100mm f/4.

Enjoy!
    G

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica SL (digital) captures the rest of the family

There's a thread on the Leica User Forum (LUF) asking to see all the Leica's or other family members that you use. I used the SL to shoot this one, with an M2, M8, M9, and two M240s. Plus lotsa lenses:

L1010283 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

ISO 3200 @ 1/6, f/8 or f/11. Super-Elmarit 15 on the SL.

Proportions get a little strange when you shoot from that close, so I also shot a mosaic with my Olympus 60 macro on an E-P5. Now I have to see if I can get the 8 to 10 overlapped shots to stitch together.

scott
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikalWGrass View Post
    Scott, I don't think they are Jewish cemeteries but they look very interesting, nonetheless. There are Jewish cemeteries, and older cemeteries that hold the bones of the families that developed the area at the expense of what was then the local population. They tended to be buried in mausoleums instead of in ground graves. Guess they think it will be easier to slide out a heavy stone than dig out from 6 feet worth of dirt.

Anyway, there is a beautiful Jewish cemetery n Doral, FL, which took me by surprise.
    My understanding is that Jewish burial practice discourages or even prohibits the use of above ground crypts. If these are Jewish cemeteries, the dead are most likely buried beneath the crypts, which are practically just elaborate headstones. (Think "dust to dust.") Burial within a sealed outdoor crypt or indoor mausoleum for the general population is a Catholic practice (think of New Orleans' cities of the dead), predicated on physical considerations like a very high water table, I believe.

I agree, whatever the origin or affiliation, they make lovely subjects.
    --Mike

My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post
    My understanding is that Jewish burial practice discourages or even prohibits the use of above ground crypts. If these are Jewish cemeteries, the dead are most likely buried beneath the crypts, which are practically just elaborate headstones. (Think "dust to dust.") Burial within a sealed outdoor crypt or indoor mausoleum for the general population is a Catholic practice (think of New Orleans' cities of the dead), predicated on physical considerations like a very high water table, I believe.

I agree, whatever the origin or affiliation, they make lovely subjects.
    South Florida struck me as having a rather high water table, hence above-ground structures would make sense. Jerusalem and Tel Aviv certainly do not. I have only participated in one funeral since coming here, and burial was as you describe -- well below the stone that you see. But we are a thrifty people, and the layering is rather dense, with many levels made ready for future occupation. It is an interesting exercise in real estate development. In France, headstones indicate the duration of occupancy. Here I don't see that information. So in addition to being visually striking, cemetaries have social interest.

scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First shots. Actually, first were yesterday, but it took most of a day to get used to the camera, so these are the first, with a variety of lenses. (I should add, it's a drear raining day, hence the what's-happening-in-the-house photos.)

Varior-Elmar 80-200mm f/4 ISO 4000

Apo-Telyt-M 1:3.4/135 ISO 4000

Apo-Summicron-M 1:2/75 ASPH . ISO 400

50mm AA ISO 3200

I ducked outside for this one shot of one of the rain catchers we've been using against the drought:

Ed
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ed,
    very nice images.
    Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

High-tide this morning -- Zuiko 35-80 @50 ....

Name:  High Tide-1.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  270.4 KB

APO-Telyt-R 180 ...

Name:  High Tide-2.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  244.6 KB

processed with SilverEfex

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More fussing around pretending to test:

Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8, ISO 640

Vario-Elmar-R 80-200 with APO 2X extender, ISO 800

Same as above

Ed

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johneaton View Post
    High-tide this morning -- ...
    Lovely stuff, John! The views onto the water are beautiful there.

Your photos bring back memories. I used to live in Aptos, 1982 to 1985, way up on Aptos View Road.

G

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Chile with a bunch of astronomers this week. This sculpture, in a park in Santiago de Chile seemed appropriate:

L1010335 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

There are certain requirements for a good scientific discussion

L1010356 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

SL, SX80 @f/8 or so

scott
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Lovely stuff, John! The views onto the water are beautiful there.

Your photos bring back memories. I used to live in Aptos, 1982 to 1985, way up on Aptos View Road.

G
    Thank you Godfrey -- if you ever want to swing by a renew old memories, just let me know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From today's walk at The Argory, co Armagh:

The Lime Walk

It's a posh house, with a winter and a summer front door. This is the winter door; despite appearances, the knocker isn't upside down

Sláinte

Robert.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johneaton View Post
    Thank you Godfrey -- if you ever want to swing by a renew old memories, just let me know
    I may have to take you up on that! I haven't visited Aptos for a very long time and I have another friend to drop in on in Capitola too. Perhaps next weekend or something like that. I'll be in touch. :-)

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

From a gray Saturday morning walk, a few weeks past...

Leica SL + Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8
    ISO 80 @ f/2.8 @ 1/40 sec

enjoy!
    G

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Santiago, Vitacura district

L1010321 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

L1010316 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

L1010329 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

SL, SX 80

scott

Post Thanks / Like

A quiet end to the day between storms ... SL + vario-elmar 35-70 @35

Name:  at the end of the day-1.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  203.3 KB

Name:  at the end of the day-2.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  116.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Taken with 28-90 Vario-Elmarit-R.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vario-Elmar-R 35-70 f/4, ISO 8000

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Tonight's Monterey Bay sunset -- SL + 21-35 @24

Name:  monterey bay sunset-1.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  153.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

75mm Summicron, ISO 1600

Ed

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lovely, simple, excellent photo! Thanks Ed.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flamingos

salar de Atacama, Chile

L1010466 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

L1010458 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

SL, APA Elmarit-R 180 (cropped about 2X)

scptt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Finally, after overcast days... 75mm Summicron

Ed

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It was good to get out with a camera again yesterday on my walk.

all: Leica SL + Skink Pinhole (f/47 Zone Plate disc)
    ISO 1600 @ f/47 @ ~1/30

Set of ten photos available @
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsktJAg9w

enjoy!

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good light here last few days. Great pinhole shots G! 75mm Summicron.
    With the SL files in Lightroom, I find myself using a negative clarity value.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doing science in Santiago de Chile

I have to repost one picture that I showed before because it suffered link rot. The rest are new:

L1010366 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

L1010375 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

L1010362 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

L1010356 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

SL with either SX-R 80 or Super Elmarit-R 15 (it should be apparent which is which).
    Album link for Santiago (both M240 and SL with R lenses):

scott
    Last edited by scott kirkpatrick; 1st February 2016 at 11:40.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Museums covering the Allende/Pinochet period in Chile

Two from the Museum Memorial of Human Rights and two from the more circumspect museum of the history of Chile that was built during the Pinochet regime. The first two are self-explanatory, the third (I think) is a cartoon from the period of the "Chicago Boys," and the last is from a painting of Bernardo O'Higgins, liberator of Chile, as he goes into exile when the others among the ruling elite found him too dictatorial.

L1010390 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

L1010395 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

L1010414 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

L1010409 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Album link

scott

Post Thanks / Like

For SL (and M240) pictures from the northern deserts of Chile the album is here.

scott

Post Thanks / Like

When it rains move inside for another still life -- SL + Macro-Elmarit 60mm

Name:  tulips-2.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  276.8 KB