The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

sven

There's at least one SL box opened in the UK, results seen on the LUF. But in the US, still no promises earlier than very late November.

scott
The delivery and the SL image threads that you mention have been removed. I noticed a few complaints about image quality so logged in today to followup but both threads removed. Not sure whats happening but does not sound right. As someone who has preordered, it is not reassuring.

Paratom

The delivery and the SL image threads that you mention have been removed. I noticed a few complaints about image quality so logged in today to followup but both threads removed. Not sure whats happening but does not sound right. As someone who has preordered, it is not reassuring.
On which site were those posted?

rsmphoto

Fascinating. I read those threads on LUF last night as I'm awaiting delivery as well. Nothing seemed amiss with the samples that were posted (they looked quite good actually) except some light discussion about oversaturated reds on geraniums, and the possibility of some artifacts in OOF areas - nothing earth shattering there. For the most part it was quite positive, but there was a caveat the owner mentioned, that was still in the first days of testing, so admitted he wasn't being particularly objective being in the midst of initial excitement. Maybe he wasn't supposed to let on he got one early...

Richard

Godfrey

Strange stuff indeed.

Regardless, I found the images that were posted quite nice for first results with a new camera.
I look forward to seeing what the camera does in my hands.

G

scott kirkpatrick

Jono's pictures are still here, and he is using production equipment with firmware 1.1. Let's keep an eye on the LUF to make sure that the poster reappears in good health. I think his dealer may have violated his agreement by selling a unit that was intended for in store demos.

scott

Paratom

sounds strange. a unit not meant for sale? Just to get it right: Leica present a new model, they are not able to supply it, but Leica Stores are forced to have the products in stock (I assume it is only valid as long as Leica is able to supply), and then finally one SL makes it to the store, but is not supposed to be sold? I assume it shall be use to present customers what they could buy if Leica could supply.
I hope it is all not the case.

I really like Leica products, but their sales and supply strategy is beyond what I can understand.

Godfrey

sounds strange. a unit not meant for sale? Just to get it right: Leica present a new model, they are not able to supply it, but Leica Stores are forced to have the products in stock (I assume it is only valid as long as Leica is able to supply), and then finally one SL makes it to the store, but is not supposed to be sold? I assume it shall be use to present customers what they could buy if Leica could supply.

I really like Leica products, but their sales and supply strategy is beyond what I can understand.
In order for product to be available on release day, it is often received by dealers several days before with the understanding that it is not to be shown or handed to customers until particular dates. This is just as true for Leica as it is for other big retailers (read Apple, Nikon, Canon, Toyota, any of them); its part of the marketing exposition.

Occasionally a dealer makes a mistake and ships something ahead of the schedule. Then it's a bit of a mess and can result in strange things happening as they try to un-wind and avert the consequences. It's always a pain ...

G

Paratom

In order for product to be available on release day, it is often received by dealers several days before with the understanding that it is not to be shown or handed to customers until particular dates. This is just as true for Leica as it is for other big retailers (read Apple, Nikon, Canon, Toyota, any of them); its part of the marketing exposition.

Occasionally a dealer makes a mistake and ships something ahead of the schedule. Then it's a bit of a mess and can result in strange things happening as they try to un-wind and avert the consequences. It's always a pain ...

G
I thought release day of SL was last week. Anyways, as I said I like Leica products and product philosophy, but sometimes dont fully understand the marketing strategy.

Godfrey

I thought release day of SL was last week. Anyways, as I said I like Leica products and product philosophy, but sometimes dont get their marketing strategy.
Announcement day (when the told the world about the product) was a couple-three weeks ago at the Leica "Das Wesentliche" event. It was also shown at the New York Photo Expo shortly thereafter.

Release day (the day product is actually available to purchase) is nominally November 16 or 19 in the USA.

-

Just returned home from the camera shop and two hours playing with the Leica SL.
The body is terrific: beautifully made, just the right size, very nice controls all well situated, etc.

The 24-90 lens is large and heavy, but still has a terrific feel. The seems beautiful quality in the photos, etc. The AF inside the store, when I just snapped around a bit, focuses very fast and accurately. The 24-90 and SL body, the 90 and SL body, the 24 and SL body ... all seemed beautifully balanced and ready to use at a moment's notice.

The viewfinder is as good for an EVF as the R8 viewfinder is for an SLR. Which means it's very, very good. Focusing the 24mm without any aids takes concentration and some learning time, just focusing it on a plain ground glass screen takes some effort; use magnification and it's a snap. Focusing the 90mm is a snap with no aids.

The control setup is very nice indeed. It will take some time and study to fully understand it and configure it to my desires, but even with just ten minutes poking about, everything is logically arranged and easy to figure out. After ten minutes messing about, no button labels were needed, and never will be. All the controls fall nicely to hand, for my hands, and the camera is refreshingly simple and unadorned, no fluff or wasted features.

I brought a card and my Elmarit-R 24 and Summicron-R 90 lenses, as well as the adapters. Stacking the adapters and fitting the lenses, there's neither anything loose nor anything too tight. It all fits and feels of a piece, made for each other.

This is not a simple camera, it will take time to learn and become fully versed in all its capabilities and features, fully comfortable with. But once learned, it will work without distraction or confusion. It's a working camera, not a "for style" piece: solid, serious, and capable.

Like it. Can't wait for it to arrive so I can get to work with it.

G

Paratom

- - - Updated - - -

Announcement day (when the told the world about the product) was a couple-three weeks ago at the Leica "Das Wesentliche" event. It was also shown at the New York Photo Expo shortly thereafter.

Release day (the day product is actually available to purchase) is nominally November 16 or 19 in the USA.

-

Just returned home from the camera shop and two hours playing with the Leica SL.
The body is terrific: beautifully made, just the right size, very nice controls all well situated, etc.

The 24-90 lens is large and heavy, but still has a terrific feel. The seems beautiful quality in the photos, etc. The AF inside the store, when I just snapped around a bit, focuses very fast and accurately. The 24-90 and SL body, the 90 and SL body, the 24 and SL body ... all seemed beautifully balanced and ready to use at a moment's notice.

The viewfinder is as good for an EVF as the R8 viewfinder is for an SLR. Which means it's very, very good. Focusing the 24mm without any aids takes concentration and some learning time, just focusing it on a plain ground glass screen takes some effort; use magnification and it's a snap. Focusing the 90mm is a snap with no aids.

The control setup is very nice indeed. It will take some time and study to fully understand it and configure it to my desires, but even with just ten minutes poking about, everything is logically arranged and easy to figure out. After ten minutes messing about, no button labels were needed, and never will be. All the controls fall nicely to hand, for my hands, and the camera is refreshingly simple and unadorned, no fluff or wasted features.

I brought a card and my Elmarit-R 24 and Summicron-R 90 lenses, as well as the adapters. Stacking the adapters and fitting the lenses, there's neither anything loose nor anything too tight. It all fits and feels of a piece, made for each other.

This is not a simple camera, it will take time to learn and become fully versed in all its capabilities and features, fully comfortable with. But once learned, it will work without distraction or confusion. It's a working camera, not a "for style" piece: solid, serious, and capable.

Like it. Can't wait for it to arrive so I can get to work with it.

G
Thank you for the report! I think for people owning a lot of R glass the SL makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
That's it. Keep up with your Sony proselytizing, even in threads in a Leica forum that have nothing to do with it, and poison all of GetDPI. I'm sure Jack, Guy, and Bob will love your efforts here. Hell, they'll probably just ban me again, so just go on to your hearts content. Why should I care?
Godfrey,

I think that the froth over Sony will be short lived ... and everyone gets to pick their favorite camera ... poison ... passion.

Glad to hear that the camera will work for you ... Jono's pictures are stunning and if you have glass it will be a great success.

Bob

Last edited:

Arif

G
I echo these comments. Played with it at the Tokyo Launch last night and it felt very good and solid. People coming from the S will be familiar with the feel and will like it I think. I tested the Cine lenses (Super friendly Rep was present to show Video) and I also used an older 50 Summicron-R which was a breeze to focus and made the camera look much more compact (even more than my previous R's). Overall I was quite happy with it.

sven

I did contact the member who started the threads that got deleted in LUF. He could not go into details but appears to be an embargo issue till 11/16. He requested the threads be deleted for this specific reason. He reiterated that he had no issues and absolutely loves the camera and lens combo.

Godfrey

?..
I think that the froth over Sony will be short lived ... and everyone gets to pick their favorite camera ... poison ... passion.

Glad to here that the camera will work for you ... Jono's pictures are stunning and if you have glass it will be a great success.
I guess you're right, Bob. I mean, it's only another three weeks to the next Sony announcement now ... Right? :angel:

The SL firmware is young but the camera looks to be very capable as is. I can imagine several configuration options that should be easy to add via firmware updates going forward while the hardware seems very well thought out for a long and solid future in use. That's a great value proposition. The 24-90 lens looks great, with state of the art features and performance; it harbingers great things to come for the new lenses designed for the SL that are in the pipeline. Meanwhile, my R lens kit looks like it will excel on this body.

I am really looking forward to testing everything and putting it all to work.

G

Godfrey

I did contact the member who started the threads that got deleted in LUF. He could not go into details but appears to be an embargo issue till 11/16. He requested the threads be deleted for this specific reason. He reiterated that he had no issues and absolutely loves the camera and lens combo.
Thanks for doing that and reporting back.

G

algrove

OK, now that I read Guy's comments I will chime in.

I believe that 24 MP is lame in this day and age. The simple fact is that Leica has themselves boxed in with new cameras what with their flagship S fixed at 37.5 MP.

The SL sounds superb, but if I am printing 24"x 60" prints (stitched) I might surely need more MP than 24 after cropping too. IBIS seems the best anti shake approach to me, but for the SL they decided to go with in lens stabilization. Maybe it is fine, but if in body stabilization is used then ALL lenses used on it could benefit.

I do find all too often SL comparisons with the A7 or A7R are weak versus the latest and greatest from each manufacturer. Who wants to buy an old model from XYZ company when shopping for an SL. Up and down rezing do complicate any comparisons so show me some prints. I guess I should just print some RAWS myself. Guess I answered that question all by my lonesome.