The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

jonoslack

Are we having fun yet?:ROTFL:

This Leica SL seems a good choice for those who would like the benefits of mirrorless technology, have defined their needs, and do not need what other choices may offer.

- Marc
I'm having fun :)
Good take Marc.
It suits me really well. The kit zoom does a great job, both for travel and for what little event work I still do then I have a selection of M and R lenses for when I need them. But perhaps the real crack is that it really is fun to use. it gets out of your way and allows you to take pictures. This trip to Venice has got me a number of shots that I simple would have missed with most other cameras.

JohnBrew

Jono, trying to see your latest image postings and "invalid attachment" comes up. Can you re-post some way?

M

mjr

Hi Peter
Optical viewfinders don't show you the dynamic range you're going to get In the image either, but the DR your eyes can manage. Arguably that in an EVF is more representative.
But personally I never give DR a thought when I'm shooting - after all, I can't change what the camera gives me! There's more important things to think about :)
This is my point exactly, everyone totes wysiwyg as a real benefit but it's not showing you, it's showing a representation that doesn't match what the sensor is actually seeing because it can't display all the information so what's the point? Might as well just have an OVF that at least you can see the entire scene and use it to accurately frame the image.

Anyway, as long as you get what you want from the camera then that's all that matters.

Mat

jonoslack

Let's Try Again
Here are some shots from Burano (maybe)

L1010069.jpg
Sunset in the lagoon (with the 55-135 T lens)

L1010039.jpg
Burano Sunset

L1000997.jpg
Splish Splash

L1000967.jpg
Cameras at Sunset

L1000977.jpg
Blue Rift

L1010007.jpg
Mop Corner

L1000964.jpg
Burano

jonoslack

This is my point exactly, everyone totes wysiwyg as a real benefit but it's not showing you, it's showing a representation that doesn't match what the sensor is actually seeing because it can't display all the information so what's the point?

Mat
HI Mat
Well 4mp out of 24 is giving you a pretty good representation of what you are actually going to get - an optical viewfinder is lovely, but it's nothing at all what you're going to get.

80 percent right is better than 40 percent right!

But there are still arguments for an optical finder - they just seem less imperative these days.

all the best
Jon

scott kirkpatrick

Btw I got lost when this is supposed to be out in the wild. Time table anyone
There's enough stock on hand that there seem to be demo cameras in many stores. People have walked in and come away enthusiastic in the UK, in Germany, in Palo Alto, in Miami... The official day for opening the packages under the tree is Nov 16, give or take a few in each country, but a shop in the UK slipped up, and one happy customer was showing his elegant just-opened boxes, charging the battery and posting some nice snaps on the LUF a few days ago. He has since gone underground and will undoubtedly have much more to show in two weeks. It does sound as if Leica has made an effort to get a rapid early deployment, and is now managing expectations so that there will be lines outside the Leicastores a la Apple on opening day.

scott

(edit:) I do hope that even under intensive interrogation he still refused to reveal the name of his dealer.

Last edited:
M

mjr

Hmm, well I can appreciate that it works for some, just not for me, luckily I can visualise the image quite well through an OVF and use the computer to create the look I want from the RAW data, a low res jpeg version of the file displayed in the viewfinder is worth nothing to me. Maybe we can get Adobe involved, have a lightroom equipped evf so I can get the screen to show raised shadows, increased sharpness, a change in saturation etc. then I don't even need a computer!

Nice shots by the way, can see them now!

Mat

scott kirkpatrick

HI Mat
Well 4mp out of 24 is giving you a pretty good representation of what you are actually going to get -

Jon
Unless I have someone who will pay for a big print, or am out for serious pixel peeping, I usually set my output scale to 50%. That's 4 MPx from an M43 and 6 MPx from the Leicas. It will be great to see all that while shooting.

scott

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
OK folks, lets all calm down.
This thread is titled "Fun with the Leica SL (digital)"
As with all of the other "fun with..." threads I expect that this will be about experiences and more importantly photos with the subject camera.
Comparisons of this or that are not welcome and will be marked off-topic and possibly deleted.
I feel that we are losing the battle slowly concerning keeping this a calm and constructive forum.
I really hate swinging the hammer but it seems that my recent laxity in this regard has caused the forum to drift in the wrong direction.
Now some will complain about issues they may perceive as limiting free speech, but unfortunately that is part of the price of admission.
Some folks like red wine, some white while some like any wine and some just whine.
There are 105 banned users in the last year. Yes it gets tiresome.
We would appreciate your cooperation.
thanks
-bob

scott kirkpatrick

... get Adobe involved, have a lightroom equipped evf so I can get the screen to show raised shadows, increased sharpness, a change in saturation etc. then I don't even need a computer!

Mat
Actually, I haven't played around with this much, but I have always understood that if you set the camera up for RAW + JPG that then controls for lowering contrast, increasing saturation, and other stuff that affects the jpeg but not the raw file would also be reflected on the EVF. But does it stay in effect when you switch back to raw file only?

scott

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Bob.
I was probably being a Wasack!
best Jono
Could it have been more than about 10 minutes from when the attachments were uploaded to the point where you actually submitted the post?
The logs look like the attachments were auto-deleted since they timed-out without being attached to a post.
-bob

jonoslack

Could it have been more than about 10 minutes from when the attachments were uploaded to the point where you actually submitted the post?
The logs look like the attachments were auto-deleted since they timed-out without being attached to a post.
-bob
It's certainly possible. As usual I was trying to do 3 things at once!
At any rate, they seem to have "stuck" this time.
Best

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I would love to get my hands on one for a test drive.
EVFs are getting better. The first ones I tried just distorted colors so badly that I immediately rejected the experience. Since then, and with various experiments, I have found that I prefer those I have tried to use the raw+jpeg modes and to set the jpegs to B&W. That I found to be far more usable. It could be related to the fact that I end up finishing many of my images in B&W and somehow just can judge the results better.
I am sure that one of these days I will flip over to be an EVF devotee perhaps once I have tried out the latest batch.
-bob

Last edited:
M

mjr

I agree with you Bob that there are applications where it has a benefit for sure, black and white evf may well be one of those. I'm looking forward to picking up a camera with evf and thinking wow, now I understand how it can benefit my photography, not done that yet but the SL might be that camera.

Mat