The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
OK folks, lets all calm down.
This thread is titled "Fun with the Leica SL (digital)"
As with all of the other "fun with..." threads I expect that this will be about experiences and more importantly photos with the subject camera.
Comparisons of this or that are not welcome and will be marked off-topic and possibly deleted.
I feel that we are losing the battle slowly concerning keeping this a calm and constructive forum.
I really hate swinging the hammer but it seems that my recent laxity in this regard has caused the forum to drift in the wrong direction.
Now some will complain about issues they may perceive as limiting free speech, but unfortunately that is part of the price of admission.
Some folks like red wine, some white while some like any wine and some just whine.
There are 105 banned users in the last year. Yes it gets tiresome.
We would appreciate your cooperation.
thanks
-bob
I am 110% with Bob on this. This situation has become ridiculous, with many seasoned members taking part who should know better. And for whatever reason the worst offenders are the Sony and Leica adherents, and almost always when one or the other populates the other's system thread with the "my camera choice is better than yours because..." crap. Seriously folks, grow up, they're just freaking cameras! I am going to start giving anybody making inflammatory cross-system forum posts a 7-day time out -- without explanation -- even if they're a Mod or Admin!

Says the now groggy giant.

]heavy-handed moderation[

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yup, as the joke goes, the water under the bridge is cold....and deep
:p
Often when I read thread like this, where people are aggressively defending or promoting "their" camera brand or camera, I find some old photo book, look through some of the amazingly great work that was done with very simple cameras and a roll of Tri-X, and I ask myself: would this or these photos have been better or told a more interesting story if they had been taken with Brand X new Hypersonic Camera with Supereliptical sensor and 5-dimesional rendering? The answer is always no. Always.

And although I have been involved in heated arguments on this forum myself, I mostly end up finding that my current camera is the best I have, and that it will probably outlast me, or at least last until next week, month or year. Orsomething...

Paratom

HI Mat
Well 4mp out of 24 is giving you a pretty good representation of what you are actually going to get - an optical viewfinder is lovely, but it's nothing at all what you're going to get.

80 percent right is better than 40 percent right!

But there are still arguments for an optical finder - they just seem less imperative these days.

all the best
Jon
Here I have a different opinion and believe that if I know my sensor a little bit and do have a look on the histogramm here and then seeing the real light and color through an optical viewfinder allows me better control of what I get in the end.

Paratom

On the other side a little discussion coming from the stomach/heart is more interesting than just "ah, what a nice image".

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
On the other side a little discussion coming from the stomach/heart is more interesting than just "ah, what a nice image".
As long as it's done per the rules -- the same ones Guy shared earlier in this thread. And right now, the slightest hint that one is pushing the boundary of that rule means a timeout.

jonoslack

Here I have a different opinion and believe that if I know my sensor a little bit and do have a look on the histogramm here and then seeing the real light and color through an optical viewfinder allows me better control of what I get in the end.
It really does take all types

I never have a histogram up on the screen - whether I shoot EVF or optical (distracting to interpret). . . actually, I don't usually have any information up - I just look at the screen (optical or evf) and concentrate on the subject and the composition . . . . . . . which, I suppose, is why I like an EVF which is showing the actual exposure and dof - all the information I need!

all the best

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
One last comment there are a lot of things going on through PMs and emails that are not made public so actions taken are based on many factors. Im not the bad guy nor are other admins or mods. You may think we are but we are just going by our rules laid out and reacting to what is in front of us. In the end we take the heat and may look bad, so be it as we can't control that.

With that Im on a project starting today and after being threatened by a member its time for me to take a break. Be well everyone

M

mjr

I'm pretty sure the aggressive posts were all done 12 hours ago, things move fast on forums! It's an interesting discussion and some nice images now, would be good to continue in that vein.

I agree with you Tom but I can imagine a lot of people like the idea of seeing what they are photographing closer to how the sensor is exposing it but for me it seems like a high price to pay for a nice clear and uncluttered view for composition.

Jono, what happens with the SL on high frame rates? Does it stay live throughout the shots or black out between each one or stay black during the whole sequence?

Mat

Paratom

It really does take all types

I never have a histogram up on the screen - whether I shoot EVF or optical (distracting to interpret). . . actually, I don't usually have any information up - I just look at the screen (optical or evf) and concentrate on the subject and the composition . . . . . . . which, I suppose, is why I like an EVF which is showing the actual exposure and dof - all the information I need!

all the best
Well, I get along well with the T viewfinder (and the SL should be even better).

Thorkil

One last comment there are a lot of things going on through PMs and emails that are not made public so actions taken are based on many factors. Im not the bad guy nor are other admins or mods. You may think we are but we are just going by our rules laid out and reacting to what is in front of us. In the end we take the heat and may look bad, so be it as we can't control that.

With that Im on a project starting today and after being threatened by a member its time for me to take a break. Be well everyone
...threats are way over the edge...we are all grown up people, and not teenagers anymore, any sudden pop-up frustrations we have control and count to ten, leave the screen, and take a walk, until the inside waterlevel have become horisontal again..support herefrom, Guy
thorkil

jonoslack

I'm pretty sure the aggressive posts were all done 12 hours ago, things move fast on forums! It's an interesting discussion and some nice images now, would be good to continue in that vein.
I thought so too :) - trying to re-centre the discussion here!
I agree with you Tom but I can imagine a lot of people like the idea of seeing what they are photographing closer to how the sensor is exposing it but for me it seems like a high price to pay for a nice clear and uncluttered view for composition.
Interesting - but I don't think I pay any price - As I say, I have the EVF clear of everything most of the time (even Aperture/shutter speed information) because I like to have a nice uncluttered view so as to be able to concentrate on composition . . . and I can forget about the exposure / dof side of things - . . unless it's wrong (in which case I can see).
Perhaps we all have the same aim, just with different ways of doing it!
Jono, what happens with the SL on high frame rates? Does it stay live throughout the shots or black out between each one or stay black during the whole sequence?
Mat
No blackout - it stays live and get's slightly jerky - but quite usable - even at 11 fps (would anyone really use that except to find out whether it blacks out :)

jonoslack

A couple from today (sorry - more reflections, but they're unmissable!).

L1010094.jpg
Reflection

L1010111-Edit.jpg
Bake
Eat
Smoke

L1010095.jpg
The Red Boat​

M

mjr

I thought so too :) - trying to re-centre the discussion here!

Interesting - but I don't think I pay any price - As I say, I have the EVF clear of everything most of the time (even Aperture/shutter speed information) because I like to have a nice uncluttered view so as to be able to concentrate on composition . . . and I can forget about the exposure / dof side of things - . . unless it's wrong (in which case I can see).
Perhaps we all have the same aim, just with different ways of doing it!

No blackout - it stays live and get's slightly jerky - but quite usable - even at 11 fps (would anyone really use that except to find out whether it blacks out :)
Thanks Jono. For sure at least most of us have the same aim and different is good! There's no such thing as a single solution, finding what you like is always the key.

I really like that black and white shot, excellent composition and conversion, very nice.

Mat

V

Vivek

Jono, The colors are vibrant and the silverefex conversion didn't work, iMO.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Why do I feel that we're seeing 90% Jono and 10% Leica?

Exceeding your usual high standard, Mr. S. :thumbs:

M

jonoslack

Why do I feel that we're seeing 90% Jono and 10% Leica?

Exceeding your usual high standard, Mr. S. :thumbs:

M
Thank You! I'm trying really hard . . . but so is the SL, and it does come up to the mark whenever requested. . . . . . .