The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

iiiNelson

Thanks for the photos, Ashwin. This thread really needs more folks to have SL cameras in hand so we get beyond all these musings and into enjoying the photos the SL can make. Ach, another five days ... ;-)

I don't know about definitively putting to rest anything, but I will certainly be testing my M-mount lenses on the SL, at least briefly. My M lens kit is a mix of old and new, Leica and Voigtländer lenses. It's already whittled down to four whose performance I like on the M-P very much (Elmar-M 24 ASPH, Summilux 35 v2, Nokton 50 (LTM), Summarit-M 75, plus M-Rokkor 90 and Hektor 135 which I use only occasionally), so they'll be the first ones I test on the SL.

G
My old M lens kit was similarly mixed between Leica, Zeiss, and Voigtlander. I actually didn't have an issues with any of my Zeiss or Voitlander lenses on mirrorless cameras but my Leica's were disappointing. I was really hoping that the 24 Elmar would've worked too because it is one of the best wide angles that I've ever used on any system.

If I ever buy back into Leica with a M Monochrom it'll be on my must have lens list for sure.

Godfrey

My old M lens kit was similarly mixed between Leica, Zeiss, and Voigtlander. I actually didn't have an issues with any of my Zeiss or Voitlander lenses on mirrorless cameras but my Leica's were disappointing. I was really hoping that the 24 Elmar would've worked too because it is one of the best wide angles that I've ever used on any system.

If I ever buy back into Leica with a M Monochrom it'll be on my must have lens list for sure.
I had tested Color Skopar 21/4, CS28/3.5, CS35/2.5, Ultron 28/2, and Nokton 40/1.4 MC on Sony A7, Leica M9, and Leica M-P. They produce varying degrees of color shift and artifacts on all three of those bodies, as well as varying degrees of corner/edge smearing and vignetting artifacts. The CS35 works pretty well for me on M9 and M-P. I was able to find lens codes that allowed the CS28/3.5 to work successfully on the M9 and, to a slightly lesser extent, on the M-P. The Nokton 40 works pretty well on M9, very well on M-P, and passably on A7. I sold the 21/4 and Ultron 28/2.

The Elmar-M 24 performance outstrips both the 21 and 28 Color Skopars on the M-P. I had already sold the A7 when I bought it so I couldn't test it on that body. It does require using the lens code for good results, otherwise it color shifts seriously.

All of these lenses do pretty well on all three bodies if you model them with CornerFix and process the DNG files that way. It's a bit of a pain to do so, that's all.

I look forward to seeing how they all do on the SL. :)

G

iiiNelson

I had tested Color Skopar 21/4, CS28/3.5, CS35/2.5, Ultron 28/2, and Nokton 40/1.4 MC on Sony A7, Leica M9, and Leica M-P. They produce varying degrees of color shift and artifacts on all three of those bodies, as well as varying degrees of corner/edge smearing and vignetting artifacts. The CS35 works pretty well for me on M9 and M-P. I was able to find lens codes that allowed the CS28/3.5 to work successfully on the M9 and, to a slightly lesser extent, on the M-P. The Nokton 40 works pretty well on M9, very well on M-P, and passably on A7. I sold the 21/4 and Ultron 28/2.

The Elmar-M 24 performance outstrips both the 21 and 28 Color Skopars on the M-P. I had already sold the A7 when I bought it so I couldn't test it on that body. It does require using the lens code for good results, otherwise it color shifts seriously.

All of these lenses do pretty well on all three bodies if you model them with CornerFix and process the DNG files that way. It's a bit of a pain to do so, that's all.

I look forward to seeing how they all do on the SL. :)

G
The 24 Elmar did fine on the A7 except at the very extreme corners where some smearing was introduced but Unfortunately didn't play very well on the A7R of landscape was the goal (like most Leica wide aspherical non telecenteric lenses.)

I had the Voigtlander 21/1.8 and 35/1.2 v2 and both worked very well. In fact I used the 35/1.2 exclusively as my 35 until I got the 35/1.4 FE Distagon because I disliked the 35/2.8 that much. The Zeiss ZM50/2 worked great although I suspect the Loxia is much better being optimized for the FE system. The Leica 50 Lux ASPH FLE was disappointing IMO on the A7R especially compared to the 55FE. The 90 Cron Pre-AA is one of the most overlooked Leica lenses today and is a better portrait lens than the current 90/2 IMO. Pretty much the only thing that I would wanna change about it is the long focus throw. It's beautiful wide open and clinically razor sharp from f/4 on.

I hope Leica can get the 50 and 90-280 out sooner rather than later for the sake of SL owners.

Godfrey

... I hope Leica can get the 50 and 90-280 out sooner rather than later for the sake of SL owners.
I hope so too, and I hope there are more options in the lens timeline by this time next year as well. A fast dedicated WATE would be a great addition, and a 400mm tele with 2x extender as well. Also, extension tubes ... etc.

I'm quite happy with the diminutive M-Rokkor 90mm f/4 for M-P use. Mine is identical to the Elmar-C 90/4—made in Germany on the same production line, only the bezels are different. I'd be interested in a faster 90mm for the SL except for the fact that I already have the superlative Summicron-R 90mm f/2, absolutely my favorite R lens with the most beautiful rendering and extraordinary sharpness and clarity. It's one of the lenses that has excelled on every body I've tried it on, an incredible lens.

It will be interesting to see how both of these 90s work on the SL, and how they compare to each other on its sensor. The little 90/4 over-performs for its size and price tag, IMO.

G

ddanois

I'm very intrigued by the prospect of the SL. Having used the S and S006 as well as various M models, I'm inclined to see the SL as more of an M camera. I'm very excited to see the results in the real world.

I'm not sure that the SL zooms are for me but I would be really happy to use the SL with M lenses. The colors look good so my only lingering question is around relative sharpness.

Looking forward to the Leica demo next week!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I was testing the SL again yesterday, this time I had a bit more time :)

I was shooting the 24-90, which in combination with the camera goes pretty nicely out of the way once I held it for an hour or so. The IQ from this lens is STUNNING at every focal length, even in close up shots, giving you the real Leica signature - not more to add.

I also shot it with the 0.95 Nocti and the 1.4/35 FLE and both performed perfect. Not the slightest need to use any focusing aid, as you can even focus the Nocti wide open razor sharp, just using the EVF - I really like this. Will test hopefully tomorrow again with my 1.0/Nocti and try to make some portraits. Cannot wait to get my hands on this combination :D

Also video works perfect, especially in combination with the M glass, as this is kind of CINE lens like - just manual focus and easy to focus, at least if you are used to M lens focusing anyway. And again the EVF contributes a lot to the whole experience!

Maybe I should then stop testing, as my credit card sits looser with every time I hold this camera again :cool:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Some test shots from Saturday with the SL and my 1.0/50 Noctilux. Most shot at 1.0.

First 2 my daughter Naomi, who we could convince to be my model and last one Vienna Opera house from Leica Store Vienna.

I love this camera and how it handles with the Nocti, handling became just like second nature to me within seconds!

2015-11-14_0005.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2015-11-14_0014.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2015-11-14_0061.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Now some more with the my M 1.4/75, also from Leica Store Vienna. I shot this lens first time after many years and also this lens is a stunning performer on the SL and same exceptional handling like the Nocti 1.0. Again all shot wide open, I know this is an ideal portrait lens.

2015-11-14_0032.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2015-11-14_0044.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2015-11-14_0049.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

- - - Updated - - -

Finally one with the 24-90, of course a stunning performer.

2015-11-14_0078.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

- - - Updated - - -

Godfrey

Very nice, Peter! Just don't get me jonesing for a Nocti, okay? I'll be sufficiently broke after my SL arrives as it is... :)

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Pete - nice samples - what ISO are the indoor shots?
The Nocti shots were around ISO 50 (the advantage of a Nocti), the Summilux shots between ISO 100 to ISO 160.

When you click on the photos you should be directed to Flickr, where you can see all EXIF data.

Best regards

Peter

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Very nice, Peter! Just don't get me jonesing for a Nocti, okay? I'll be sufficiently broke after my SL arrives as it is... :)

G
Thank you Godfrey!

I am sure you will enjoy your SL! Worth whatever effort!

The 1.0/Nocti is a really marvelous lens and you might be able to pick one up for a reasonable price, once you start looking. No hurry for this, there are always some around :) It is for sure not as perfect as the .95/Nocti, but IMHO it has far better character (or however you want to describe this) and shows fine details when focused correctly even at 1.0

Last edited:

Godfrey

Thank you Godfrey!

I am sure you will enjoy your SL! Worth whatever effort!

The 1.0/Nocti is a really marvelous lens and you might be able to pick one up for a reasonable price, once you start looking. No hurry for this, there are always some around :) It is for sure not as perfect as the .95/Nocti, but IMHO it has far better character (or however you want to describe this) and shows fine details when focused correctly even at 1.0
You are not helping... ;-)

G

Knorp

Crikey - I thought I understood this; the T-system has the T-mount and the SL-system also has the T-mount. So far so good.
Now, I just read in the latest LFI they call it now the L-mount ... (Leica L bayonet) and all future T-lenses will be named TL ... :banghead:

anGy

SL + 24-90mm:

D810 + Milvus 85mm:

ps: same white balance point / developped in Lightroom (Nikon saturation +4 / Leica embedded profile saturation +0)

Last edited:

anGy

SL + 24-90 full open:

D810 + Otus 85mm full open:

ps: the yellows of the Leica (that looks a bit oversaturated here) are outstanding in adobeRGB on a Eizo ColorEdge monitor.

Paratom

The SL colors pop.
The D810 images look a little more subtile and smoother though.
I am not sure what I prefer. The colors of the SL with the transitions of the D810 would be nice.
But maybe its also a question of shallow DOF.
So we need some fast primes for the SL asap.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The SL colors pop.
The D810 images look a little more subtile and smoother though.
I am not sure what I prefer. The colors of the SL with the transitions of the D810 would be nice.
But maybe its also a question of shallow DOF.
So we need some fast primes for the SL asap.
F2.8 versus F1.4 on the D810 and it looks like the Nikon is 2/3 to 1 stop brighter ....

Very close

Honestly the brashness of the SL reminds me of the S2 S006 ... wonderful
aggressive in your face color and distinct clarity.

Cannot say I am willing to give up my D810 and Oti at this point.

Bob

ddanois

Nice colors. Hard to tell from the web jpegs but the DR looks pretty good on the SL

The SL should arrive on Wed and I'm looking forward to trying it with the Otus 55 & 85 via the Novaflex adapter.