The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

ashwinrao1

Love the creativity in those images and as expresssed previously by others, color output/pallet of both thr SL and Q in many ways is similar to the M9. I
Thanks ro everyone for taking the time to post both comparitive images as well as artistic ones. Love to see more.

Dave (D&A)
Hi Dave, I am very happy with the SL, and will post a variety of my activities with the camera over the past week...It's been a fun week with M, R, and SL lenses...

Paratom

Thank you to all posting images, specially since those are real life images they help much more than test target images.
:thumbup:
The SL for me is a difficult decision. It looks like I want one but try to make sure that it is not just another GAS attack, but a long term buy. The fact/advantage that I could use all those m/s/t lenses on it makes it at the same time more difficult decission. Because those lenses work so good on their original M/S and T bodies. Except the EVF would be a great benefit for M-lenses 75mm and up IMO.
The SL adds speed and the Zoom flexibility, which I now both use mainly Nikon for.
One big big advantage for me would be to have the same user interface in SL as the S, same logic controls for all my cameras.

But I also allready see more GAS coming when owning an SL....why not add a 80200 R lens, or a 60Macro...
Sorry for not posting images (yet?)

Godfrey

You just gotta love Mandler glass :D
Indeed, yes. I have several Mandlers:

• Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 v1
  • Summicron-R 35mm f/2 v2
  • Summicron-R 50mm f/2 v1
  • Summicron-R 90mm f/2
  • Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8 v2
  • Telyt-R 250mm f/4 v1

and the Summilux 35mm f/1.4 v2 (M-mount). Every one of them seems to have a small dose of unique "specialness" that is characteristic of Dr. Mandler's design notions. Even though later versions of these lenses—generally better performing from a technical perspective—might exist and be equally wonderful in their own way, I like what these lenses do in my photos. :)

G

Erik

Here's another sample of my muse, Rosie. This time with another Mandler lens, the 90mm Elmarit on the SL.

L1020463.jpg

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Erik,

You also have one of the best looking "Leica cats" of all time too :D

Godfrey

Leica SL + Telyt-R 250mm f/4 + 2x Extender R
ISO 3200 @ f/16 (effective) @ 1/125

I had my light tripod with my for that evening's shooting session ... This rig needs the heavy duty one!

enjoy, G

D&A

I'd post pics of my cats but this is an SL thread and I dont have an SL. I don't have to worry about rodent killing or my cats plotting against me. They are Persians (or one is an exotic short hair), the laziest cats on earth. They see a fake mouse on the floor, put one paw on top and look up as to say "happy, is this what you want to see"? Thats their excitement for the day.

If I ever get an SL, you'll all see these most ferocious cats in action :).

Dave (D&A)

P.S. No wonder my dogs bow at the alter (paws) of these cats (hoping to curry favor with them) :). Seriously

I bet Rosie who looks like a most wonderful cat would set all my pets straight and keep them in line.

Last edited:

D&A

What do you mean "oh no", Tom ?
:grin:
Not sure what Tom meant but I get a feeling he's hooked on the new SL zoom lens and either now feels he's going to purchase it or already has done so. :).

Dave (D&A)

'

Last edited:

Paratom

What do you mean "oh no", Tom ?
:grin:
I tried to collect reasons not to buy the SL but in the end I decided (there are also some good reasons why the SL does make sense for me ) buy it and even the first time after using it outside I liked the combo and the responsiveness a lot. also from a handling point of view the Zoom (with its weight) felt much better than I thought it would.
The good thing: Leica helps to reduce gear ;) I sell 1 other brand body and 6 lenses to buy one body and one lens:bugeyes:
Well, I havent used that other system much any more anyways.
Cant say anything about SL IQ yet, but I am sure it will be fine for what I want to use the camera, and if color is not 100% here I assume profiles will improve as well.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I tried to collect reasons not to buy the SL but in the end I decided (there are also some good reasons why the SL does make sense for me ) buy it and even the first time after using it outside I liked the combo and the responsiveness a lot. also from a handling point of view the Zoom (with its weight) felt much better than I thought it would.
The good thing: Leica helps to reduce gear ;) I sell 1 other brand body and 6 lenses to buy one body and one lens:bugeyes:
Well, I havent used that other system much any more anyways.
Cant say anything about SL IQ yet, but I am sure it will be fine for what I want to use the camera, and if color is not 100% here I assume profiles will improve as well.
Really great decision Tom!

Congratulations, enjoy and please keep posting :)

Peter