The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

ryc

This is why
These are all shot at f4, on a tripod, from a distance of a couple of km - this is a 100% crop from the bottom left corner of the images.

View attachment 114558
View attachment 114559
View attachment 114560
View attachment 114561

There will be more later (I'm doing an article on it) , but this probably answers your question
This looks to me like a poor adapter on the sony.

I played with a 50 lux on my Sony and the results were far better than what you are showing with your lux which makes me think its a bad setup.

Sonylux. A quick overview of the A7II and Leica Summilux 50 | JORGE TORRALBA

This one is hand held with an A72 same pixels more or less as the SL

follow this link top see full rez. http://www.leicaimages.com/gallery/4/U4I1449870785.SEQ.0.jpg the photo renders compressed on here so it does not look as sharp.

Godfrey

I was carrying the M-P today and it dawned on me another huge difference between the M-P and the SL: close focusing. I had a Nokton 40mm f/1.4 MC on the M-P and almost nothing I pointed the camera at was far enough away to be photographed...

Funny that you can forget such a basic and simple thing... :)

G

Godfrey

There is a dearth of new photos on this thread. :-(
Time to fix that, a little bit... :)

More of my squares, this time with the Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4. In Hasselblad terms, this lens has the same field of view as the Makro-Planar 120mm f/4 T*.

Leica SL + Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4
ISO 400 @ f/11 @ 1/100
full rez:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/592/23096425253_d06e2ae266_o.jpg

ISO 400 @ f/1.4 @ 1/3200
full rez:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/695/23723458255_abeaf1f745_o.jpg

I love how the rendering with this lens changes from wide open as you close it down. Another lovely Walter Mandler design.

enjoy!

G

Paratom

There is a dearth of new photos on this thread. :-(
Time to fix that, a little bit... :)

More of my squares, this time with the Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4. In Hasselblad terms, this lens has the same field of view as the Makro-Planar 120mm f/4 T*.

ISO 400 @ f/11 @ 1/100
full rez:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/592/23096425253_d06e2ae266_o.jpg

ISO 400 @ f/1.4 @ 1/3200
full rez:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/695/23723458255_abeaf1f745_o.jpg

I love how the rendering with this lens changes from wide open as you close it down. Another lovely Walter Mandler design.

enjoy!

G
Hi G
I like those images. I get the feeling you might be served well with a Hassy and a CVF if you like the square and Hasselblad so much. Best, Tom

Godfrey

Hi G
I like those images. I get the feeling you might be served well with a Hassy and a CVF if you like the square and Hasselblad so much. Best, Tom
I have a Hasselblad (2 of them). Love it. But it's neither as flexible nor as capable of all my photographic efforts as the SL is. And the digital backs rob it of its full format, unless the CFV is 56x56 mm.

It makes more sense to me to have the Leica SL, with FF, Square, 16:9, and movie capture all together, to put to whatever use I want. :)

G

Paratom

I have a Hasselblad (2 of them). Love it. But it's neither as flexible nor as capable of all my photographic efforts as the SL is. And the digital backs rob it of its full format, unless the CFV is 56x56 mm.

It makes more sense to me to have the Leica SL, with FF, Square, 16:9, and movie capture all together, to put to whatever use I want. :)

G
I understand and its not difficult to see that you have a lot of fun with the SL.

Godfrey

Downloaded about an hour ago. Firmware v1.2 loaded without problems. None of my settings were lost.

Looking at the content summary:

1 Improved handling for MF lenses: AE/AF Lock button now zooms into 100% instead of AE Lock function to
2 Improved of overall image quality for ISO 50 - ISO 400
3 Improved L-Log curve for use for internal 8bit video recordings
4 Improved overall image quality of the view nder
5 Bug x: correct EXIF Data for use of R-lenses
6 Bug x: length of Wi-Fi passwords extended
What I see so far:

1 - Magnification assist on the AE/AF Lock button (joystick) works for M and R lenses, otherwise AE/AF Lock button configuration is as before for the SL 24-90. This makes perfect sense AFAIC. AE-Lock with manual lenses is via the shutter release half-press only, which makes sense to me since the button press wasn't a toggle anyway.

2,3,4 - Time will tell whether these makes a difference to me. I've not had any problems with ISO 50-400 quality, I haven't used the L-Log curve (or video) at all so far, and I'm not sure I see much difference in the viewfinder.

5 - The EXIF data for my R lenses has all been correct with fw1.1, and the lens code processing has worked just fine. That includes

11225 Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 v1 3cam
11221 Elmarit-R 24mm f/2.8 3cam
11115 Summicron-R 35mm f/2 v2 3cam
11675 - 11776 - 11777 - 11875 Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4 3cam
11228 Summicron-R 50mm f/2 1cam
11212 Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8 3cam
11219 - 11254 Summicron-R 90mm f/2 3cam
11111 Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8 3cam
11919 Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 v1 2cam
11922 Elmar-R 180mm f/4 3cam
11920 Telyt-R 250mm f/4 3cam​

to date. It will take me some time to check and see that FW1.2 didn't change anything there.

6 - I'll have to check whether WiFi via my home network works correctly yet. Perhaps this evening. Last time I tried to use it, I was not able to find the SL on the network even though it seemed to be connected. Using the SL as a hotspot has worked without any problems.

Presumably there are some other fixes, etc, that whomever authorized the release notes didn't deem to be significant enough to remark about. I'll see how the camera works going forward. Otherwise, I'm good with it; it's not really a very big deal.

G

Godfrey

I understand and its not difficult to see that you have a lot of fun with the SL.
Quite seriously, if Leica or anyone else were designing a camera specifically for me, they would be darn close to the mark with the SL exactly as is.
This makes me happy. :D

G

Godfrey

Improved of overall image quality for ISO 50 - ISO 400
Isn't that peculiar ? What is the native ISO ?
I suspect it's ISO 100, but the difference between ISO 50 and ISO 100 is virtually nonexistent as far as I have seen with respect to noise and/or dynamic range. Presuming ISO 50 is a pull, it's very very well implemented.

William Claff posted some Leica SL typ 601 read noise readings recently: Read Noise in DNs versus ISO Setting
What you can see from that curve is that read noise rises rather abruptly from ISO 50 to 200, then falls off again and doesn't hit the same read noise level as at ISO 200 until just shy of ISO 1600. The shape of the curve, he told me, generally indicates that this sensor has a "two-stage" amplifier design, one for the very low ISOs and the other from middle range up.

I would presume that, if this curve is truly reflective of read noise, Leica might have put some effort into smoothing the transition more and maybe reduced the peak between 100 and 400. It would be interesting to do a re-check of the read noise with William's setup on an SL with firmware v1.2 installed.

G

Last edited:

Doc Wing

​I just borrowed the Leica T23mm lens from a friend that owns the Leica T. I took it to downtown Rochester and took a few pics with it on the Leica SL. To compare, I shot the same pics with my beloved MATE Tri-Elmar also. The images were virtually indistinguishable on the computer.

​I then printed them on A3 paper and the prints were virtually indistinguishable also. I have no doubt that it would have made a difference if I was printing at dramatically larger sizes but I never do. Below is the image I snapped with the Leica T23mm and printed

Attachments

Paratom

​I just borrowed the Leica T23mm lens from a friend that owns the Leica T. I took it to downtown Rochester and took a few pics with it on the Leica SL. To compare, I shot the same pics with my beloved MATE Tri-Elmar also. The images were virtually indistinguishable on the computer.

​I then printed them on A3 paper and the prints were virtually indistinguishable also. I have no doubt that it would have made a difference if I was printing at dramatically larger sizes but I never do. Below is the image I snapped with the Leica T23mm and printed
The size of the T-lenses on the SL is certainly very nice. If they implement some of the SL-features in the next generation T-boy would be great.

uhoh7

I find those UWA shots really impressive, Scott.

Only 420 of those 15mms made, I hope you give us some more samples :)

Godfrey

Re: ISO 50 and an ultra-wide angle

Here are a few from this morning on our hilltop in Jerusalem:

{...snipped...}

Elmarit-asph R 15@f/5.6 corners are fine.
Looks good, scott!

I have an interesting shooting session in mind. I'm thinking to fit the Super-Elmar-R 15/3.5 on the SL with the SL set to square crop mode and then pull out the Hasselblad SWC to shoot the same set of twelve exposures for comparison.

It will be interesting to see how the Biogon 38mm on 6x6 film compares to the SER15 on 1x1" digital.

G

scott kirkpatrick

Re: ISO 50 and an ultra-wide angle

Looks good, scott!

I have an interesting shooting session in mind. I'm thinking to fit the Super-Elmar-R 15/3.5 on the SL with the SL set to square crop mode and then pull out the Hasselblad SWC to shoot the same set of twelve exposures for comparison.

It will be interesting to see how the Biogon 38mm on 6x6 film compares to the SER15 on 1x1" digital.

G
Great idea, but a lot of stuff to be carrying around. I shot for a while with a vintage (i.e. flaky, spent a long time in the shop) SWC using color negative 6x6, HP5+, and finally a P45+ digital back (which makes it about 50x37 mm). I think I was trying to learn what makes the Sonoran desert come alive for Lee Friedlander. My desert was a building under construction, heaped with untidy piles of rebar, frameworks, forms, and all that. It was an interesting experience -- the lens scale wasn't trustworthy, so I had to focus bracket to get critical sharpness and didn't figure that out for a long time. I ended up doing most of the multi-year project with an M9 and a 21 for a consistent look. Anyway you seem to have a similar expectation for your "SWC".

scott