The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

Godfrey

Godfrey, that looks like a Stearman which is flown regularly. The instruments are modern and the needles all point the right way. I'm not familiar with the Palm Springs museum, but do they fly their older planes? With visitors in them?
It is flown regularly and they do book flights for visitors. :)
It's quite a nice museum!

G

jonoslack

Hi There
Lots of great photos . . . . more to the point
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Here are some from Covehithe with the 24-90

L1030701.jpg
erosion

L1030686-Edit.jpg
mackerel sky

olaf

'Lost', a candid Street shot with the SL & 24-90. Yes it's bulky compared to my M240 but surreptitious shooting is still perfectly feasable. With an M lens it only weighs 250 gms more than an M240 with the same lens and has the benefit of simple effective focus magnification. Whilst it weighs more in the hand the 'carrying' weight in the bag is identical to my other set up, an M240 with 24mm Lux/50mm Lux/90mm F2.0. Overall I'm delighted with it.

lost.jpg

scott kirkpatrick

Leica SL + Super-Elmar-R 15mm f/3.5
ISO 400 @ f/3.5 @ 1/125

enjoy!
G
That looks like a different Mustang than the red tailed "Bunny" shown in the museum's website. (Judging from the 5-bladed prop and 12 exhaust stacks.) Or is it something else? Lovely plane. Wouldn't mind seeing more.

scott

Godfrey

That looks like a different Mustang than the red tailed "Bunny" shown in the museum's website. (Judging from the 5-bladed prop and 12 exhaust stacks.) Or is it something else? Lovely plane. Wouldn't mind seeing more.
That's because it's a Spitfire, not a Mustang. :)

More to come, although I have to admit that I was having so much fun looking at things I forgot to take photos a lot of the time I was there. I could spend a week of afternoons to make photos.

G

Godfrey

Hmm, didn't know they came with bubble canopies. The movies I used to watch had solid stuff behind the pilot's head.

scott
There are several variations on the Spitfire canopy design. This is the "iconic Supermarine Spitfire fighter" ...

(see 92-year-old Female WWII Vet Flies Again | EpicTimes)

where this is a more classic MK26b model:

(see Spitfire Mk26b | Light Aircraft DB & Sales)

A P-51 Mustang has a fundamentally different fuselage/wing/tail shape, never mind the cockpit canopy:

I'm by no means an expert on any of these airplanes. :)

G

Robert Campbell

Hmm, didn't know they came with bubble canopies. The movies I used to watch had solid stuff behind the pilot's head.

scott
The canopy was made of perspex, and slid backwards/forwards for entry and exit. Unhappily, it was also inflammable; when that happened it often would not open. The pilots got severe facial burns.

scott kirkpatrick

@godfrey Your picture makes the difference in the fuselage clear -- the Spitfire is more round, the Mustang quite slab-sided and deep, because of the oil cooler underneath. I guess the bump in the wing at the back of the cannons is also indicative. My T-6 owner friend got checked out in a Spitfire a year or two ago, and wrote it up for the AOPA magazine. But if you ask how much that cost, you'll never do it. Photography is such an economical hobby, compared to flying.

scott

Godfrey

@godfrey Your picture makes the difference in the fuselage clear -- the Spitfire is more round, the Mustang quite slab-sided and deep, because of the oil cooler underneath. I guess the bump in the wing at the back of the cannons is also indicative. My T-6 owner friend got checked out in a Spitfire a year or two ago, and wrote it up for the AOPA magazine. But if you ask how much that cost, you'll never do it. Photography is such an economical hobby, compared to flying.
Indeed.

I did my walk this morning carrying the SL with Elmarit-R 19mm and Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm, with the camera set into square format mode. It made for a truly delightful shooting pair. A photo or two coming up soon...

G

johneaton

Final Christmas reminder ... SL+Macro-Elmarit 60mm, f5.6 focus-stacked

Amarylis.jpg

and a moody, phantom start to the new year -- SL+Zuiko 35-80mm @ 80, f5.6

Moody.jpg

johneaton

Wild clouds and angry waves tonight .. SL+ Vario-Elmar 21-35mm @ 21

winter seascape-6.jpg

winter seascape-5.jpg

and, for comparison, one from the Monochrom slightly earlier :) ...

winter seascape -7.jpg