The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

jlm

Workshop Member
scott:

my monitor shows your images as quite washed out; not sure if that is your intent or not?

V

Vivek

scott:

my monitor shows your images as quite washed out; not sure if that is your intent or not?
On a proof monitor they are washed out while they look OK on ipad screens.

The 2nd image from #561, for example, the metal is painted a military green and is not white.

Robert Campbell

scott:

I thought it was just me, or perhaps, a rather unusual personal style.

I normally use Firefox; tried on Chrome, as suggested above; there they look quite normal.

Strange; I've not noticed this elsewhere.

scott kirkpatrick

Yup, just a browser issue. Incredible!
It's a CaptureOne issue. I'll tell them about it. It happened once before. And at that time I was using Firefox so it was a problem. The jpegs that I had on my laptop looked fine but once I downloaded them to the web to a blog they were pale. It went away in the next release of COne.

scott

scott kirkpatrick

I was preparing a set of pictures for big prints to be put up in our office building, and the girl who was assembling the exhibit fell in love with a few of the old washed out images. It seems it fitted perfectly with her personal style. But not mine. I tried to find some form that satisfied both of us, and gave that up.

scott

Godfrey

I normally use Firefox; tried on Chrome, as suggested above; there they look quite normal.

Strange; I've not noticed this elsewhere.
Scott's photos are posted as JPEGs but with Capture One's "GenericDngFile-Neutral" color calibration; they have that color profile attached. Safari and Chrome browsers are color-managed and honor the color calibration profile, thus presenting the images correctly. Firefox by default is NOT color-managed and is interpreting the colors as if the files were calibrated to sRGB, ignoring the profile.

I believe there is some way to turn on color-management in Firefox, but I'm not a big Firefox user and don't know what it is.

Regardless, the GenericDngFile-Neutral color calibration profile is an input device profile, not a display device profile, and is essentially a Lab colorspace transform on the DNG raw data. It's not intended to be used with 8-bit RGB data for distribution and presentation on the web.

Scott should convert his photos from GenericDngFile-Neutral to sRGB (current standard is sRGB IEC61966-2.1, (c)1998 HP, this is the standard used by Adobe and nearly everyone else) before exporting them to be posted on-line. They they'll work beautifully in Firefox as well any other non-color-managed or color-managed web browser.

G

Robert Campbell

I was preparing a set of pictures for big prints to be put up in our office building, and the girl who was assembling the exhibit fell in love with a few of the old washed out images. It seems it fitted perfectly with her personal style. But not mine. I tried to find some form that satisfied both of us, and gave that up.

scott
The washed-out images do have a certain charm, and I could imagine that some people would be very appreciative.

fotoism

scott:

You can go to your Firefox setting in about:config, set the value for "gfx.color_management.mode" to "0" (zero). It worked for me - it was "1" before and the color was washed out, now it's fine.

Godfrey

You can go to your Firefox setting in about:config, set the value for "gfx.color_management.mode" to "0" (zero). It worked for me - it was "1" before and the color was washed out, now it's fine.
It doesn't seem to work on my installed Firefox. The default setting on mine is "2" ... changing it to "1" or "0" has no effect. There's another setting, "gfx.color_management.enabledv", which defaults to "false". Setting it to "true" again did nothing useful, including in combination with changing the "...mode" setting.

However, all this is just a workaround for the basic problem: Scott's JPEG files are not calibrated with the correct color profile for web distribution. You shouldn't expect a user to have to change Firefox default settings in order to obtain a good rendering. If the JPEGs are converted to sRGB, with or without an embedded calibration profile, they will render correctly.

G

fotoism

However, all this is just a workaround for the basic problem: Scott's JPEG files are not calibrated with the correct color profile for web distribution. You shouldn't expect a user to have to change Firefox default settings in order to obtain a good rendering. If the JPEGs are converted to sRGB, with or without an embedded calibration profile, they will render correctly.

G
Agree.

Browsers are funny, to put it lightly. I had to fiddle with Firefox to see proper colors on Scott's pictures, but they turn up okay in, of all things, Internet Explorer. Chrome doesn't work either, washed out in there too. :loco:

scott kirkpatrick

Sorry for the distraction, but Capture One just released an upgrade. Here's one of the last files regenerated with the new release. Could someone with a browser that sees the previous file wrong tell me if anything has changed?

L1010040 2 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

thanks,

scott

Edit: I replaced the second try with a third, using sRGB output -- previously my JPEGs were in Adobe RGB.

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

Agree.

Browsers are funny, to put it lightly. I had to fiddle with Firefox to see proper colors on Scott's pictures, but they turn up okay in, of all things, Internet Explorer. Chrome doesn't work either, washed out in there too. :loco:
I'm using Chrome on Mac with Yosemite (not El Capitan) and they look fine. But I want to make sure the problem hasn't gone away with this week's release.

scott

Edit -- Just got back to Godfrey's note. I'll see where I set the output profile in CaptureOne. I last touched that years ago. And try again.

fotoism

With your new upload:

Firefox, mode "1" washed out (same as before)
Firefox, mode "0" okay
Chrome, default washed out
Internet Explorer, default okay.

Win 7 64 bit

Robert Campbell

Tried that; "gfx.color_management.mode" was set to "2". Changed this to "0".

Colours are now 'normal', same as I saw in Chrome. Browsers are tiresome.